Pit Bull Rehoming? Rescue?

Partipaws

If the dog came from a pet shop, what is it chipped as? No pet shop that I know of in NSW would advertise or sell (and chip) a true pitbull - they would be heavily fined and possibly lose their trading license.

If the dog is NOT a pitbull, then it can be legally rehomed in NSW - if it IS, then the current owners must do the right thing by the dog and pts if they cannot keep it themselves.

You can rehome pitbulls in some states - but not from NSW to another state... the law sucks, but that's what we have... grrr!

T.

Just call the dog a Lab cross. The new owners will need to know the situation but killing the dog because of her looks is animal cruelty. Needless to say the same types who would hand over Anne Frank coz "it's the law" will beg to differ.

:rofl: Bad Bad advice on so many levels it is frightening :D

Just call the dog a Lab cross. The new owners will need to know the situation but killing the dog because of her looks is animal cruelty. Needless to say the same types who would hand over Anne Frank coz "it's the law" will beg to differ.

Oh yeah great and if anything goes wrong and the dog does get into trouble (not saying its going to) its named as a labx and thats not fair on the lab breed.Its the same when people say call a pitbull a staffordx or an amstaff if anything bad happens its those breeds that get the blame.Ive said it before but you guys are your own worst enemy :rofl:

ok... finally back again!! I have some news but not all things answered yet - I am awaiting the photos as well which hopefully they will send me in a couple of days time!

Ok I did forget to ask about which pet store it was, will try and find out tomorrow though - but now I wonder if this is true or not as Sugar was not microchipped so selling a pup un-chipped is wrong and so too selling a pit bull - apparently it were advertised as a pit bull but her paperwork is an American Bull dog - Again I am naive to these breeds so maybe it makes no difference as I can not see this breed on the dogzonline website and googling them shows a similar style dog to that of a pit bull or staffy - not saying they are the same but just saying they share similar characteristics.

So I guess the first thing would be to microchip her and keep with the American Bull dog?

Will still try and get some pictures for you all soon.

Thank you very much again for the advise.

Jessica.

If her paperwork is for an American bulldog i would say you could safely assume that's what she is, some idiot from the pet shop who doesn't know what they are doing has no doubt just written pitbull o the sign. Chip her as a bulldog, that's what her papers say she is :rofl:

If she has papers as an American Bulldog, she is fine. Get her chipped as that, using the papers as proof. The American Bulldog is not an ANKC breed, but there is a perfectly valid registry for them, and they are bred in Australia, and registered in US.

Sugar may or may not be registered with the AB registry (and probably isn't), but it doesn't matter if the paperwork says American Bulldog. She may even be x bred.

A dog was seized in Qld as a pitbull under the 22 point checklist. The owner took the council to court. The dog had been purchased from a pet shop as ???? (not a pitbull, anyhow). The pet shop owner was a witness, said the dog was a ???? sourced from ????. Case dismissed, dog not a pitbull. That one will put councils off, if the dog has paperwork of any kind from a source such as a pet shop. Councils read the results of these cases.

So, that's all good.

American Bulldogs are fantastic dogs. Be aware though, if you are rehoming her, that she needs responsible and knowledgable owners. They are used for protection, hunting (squirrels, raccoons, WILD HOGS) and a bit of bull wrestling. Not a difficult breed, but not a pushover either.

Photos are good.

That's just so wrong. It's also illegal. It's wrong to call the dog something it isn't. Wrong to the other breed/cross, and wrong to anyone who may take the dog on, be faced with the laws, NOI, tt, ba, etc when they thought they were getting a lab x.

Just wrong, and lacking in sense, for a whole lot of reasons. And yes, I do differ, because I can see the looming problems someone else will face.

No, it's not nice to see good dogs pts, but there is nothing we can do about it, that's the law, and passing the dog on - if it is a pitbull -only widens the problem.

I've saved dogs, but not by doing anything illegal. Causes more problems than it solves.

And, for the dog, it's wrong too. Somewhere along the line, someone is going to point the finger, and the dog is in trouble. Sending to rescue wont work, no rescue will rehome. It's illegal.

You'll never beat these laws by doing anything illegal.

And I'd have to wonder about a pet shop advertising and selling a pitbull in NSW. I suppose it could happen in one of the smaller shops, but I wonder if the owners dreamed the breed?

I'm interested Jed- do you believe it is wrong to microchip chip a dog as a breed it is not only if it is being rehomed or it is wrong to microchip a dog as a breed it is not full stop?

I ask as I know it not uncommon for pitbull and pitbull xs to be microchipped as amstaffs or amstaff xs

That's just so wrong. It's also illegal. It's wrong to call the dog something it isn't. Wrong to the other breed/cross, and wrong to anyone who may take the dog on, be faced with the laws, NOI, tt, ba, etc when they thought they were getting a lab x.

Just wrong, and lacking in sense, for a whole lot of reasons. And yes, I do differ, because I can see the looming problems someone else will face.

No, it's not nice to see good dogs pts, but there is nothing we can do about it, that's the law, and passing the dog on - if it is a pitbull -only widens the problem.

I've saved dogs, but not by doing anything illegal. Causes more problems than it solves.

And, for the dog, it's wrong too. Somewhere along the line, someone is going to point the finger, and the dog is in trouble. Sending to rescue wont work, no rescue will rehome. It's illegal.

And I'd have to wonder about a pet shop advertising and selling a pitbull in NSW. I suppose it could happen in one of the smaller shops, but I wonder if the owners dreamed the breed?

I'm interested Jed- do you believe it is wrong to microchip chip a dog as a breed it is not only if it is being rehomed or it is wrong to microchip a dog as a breed it is not full stop?

I ask as I know it not uncommon for pitbull and pitbull xs to be microchipped as amstaffs or amstaff xs

I think Jed has made it pretty clear, that you never microchip a dog as another a breed if it's an APBT, don't know why you are asking, because Jed has been stedfast on this.

Thanks, Mantis

Yes, I do think it is wrong. I had a 5 year argument with Dougie because he believed I told someone to register a pitbull as a staffy or an amstaff so it could attend obedience. I idn't, it was another poster. I could see the rationale, but I don't agree with it.

My sympathies are with the individual dog, and I don't necessarily believe it will attack.

Also, where this was done (and it has been), ACO's have discovered the truth, so the dog has been dragged off anyhow

If the dog's breed is not known - and really, a pitbull can look lots of different ways - then I think it should be chipped as what it looks like, or what the vet (if he is doing the chipping) thinks. Mind you, in that situation, I would take the dog to a sympathetic vet!!

There are a lot of pitbulls id'd as something other than they are. That's up to the owner. I certainly wouldn't report if I knew it had gone on (and I do know), because it's none of my business. But I wouldn't advise someone to do it. I can see far too many potential problems, none of them good for the dog or the owner. Or for the anti BSL cause. And I always try to think ahead to what the future could hold.

If enough pitbulls are chipped as Amstaffs, there will come a time when amstaffs are DD or RB too. Not because the pitbulls do anything wrong, but because someone will smell a rat. In Q an amstaff without papers (well, anything really without papers) is a pitbull, and that's a bad situation.

IMHO, better to let one pitbull go than condemn 100 amstaffs or 100 staffies, or increase the severity of the laws because they are being circumvented.

And don't think I'm not sympathetic, I've moved a lot of dogs out of the way of harm from BSL, and I would continue to do that. And I've given people who are faced with their dogs being named as DD all the options available and let them choose.

Not sure if this would work . . . I'm from WA and don't know how things work over your way. But could you ask someone to report the dog, claim it's a cross or an 'unknown' bought from a petshop, and get a NOI, and end out getting a breed assessment done? Note, I'm not advocating falsifying the breed. I've seen some pet shop Labradors that definitely aren't Labradors, and some pet shop cross breeds that were supposed to be small dogs and ended up waist high. I think you have an honest case for saying the breed is uncertain.

Edited by sandgrubber

I think Jed has made it pretty clear, that you never microchip a dog as another a breed if it's an APBT, don't know why you are asking, because Jed has been stedfast on this.

maybe it wasnt clear to me, and that is why i was asking. and i havent read everything jed has ever posted on the subject

maybe it wasnt clear to me, and that is why i was asking. and i havent read everything jed has ever posted on the subject

Maybe you aren't able to comprehend plain english, the post you quoted, Jed clearly says it was wrong, yet you went on & asked the question. I feel you have an ulterior motive. :kissbetter:

Maybe you aren't able to comprehend plain english, the post you quoted, Jed clearly says it was wrong, yet you went on & asked the question. I feel you have an ulterior motive. :kissbetter:

please dont insult me but insinuating I cant comprehend plain english, from reading Jed's post my interpretation was that microchipping causes problems for rescue/rehoming but that is all.

I have no ulterior motives, I dont own a mis-microchipped pitbull or pitbull x, nor am I an advocate of breaking the law. it was merely a question as i obviously did not deduce the same conclusions you did from Jed's post. I asked Jed as he/she has always posted sensibly and I respect his/her opinion and was interested on this occasion. No conspiracy theory here mate.

Was my English ok?

I believe it is wrong to register and/or microchip a banned or restricted breed as something it is not. Whether it is being rehomed or not. It's wrong, full stop. For the reasons I have given above.

In cases I've been involved in, where the dog was an xbred, and could have been pitbull (or not) someone in authority was allowed to decide. In Qld, the only assessment which was valid was that of an ACO, not a vet etc. However, if the vet thought the dog was not a pitbull, and was prepared to state that, that was good with me. And the fact that a vet thought it was XX sometimes was helpful if an ACO thought otherwise.

The wider and long term implications of chipping or registering a pit bull as something else are what bothers me. You might save 1 dog, to the detriment of hundreds of others.

It's sad, it breaks my heart to see a good dog unnecessarily knocked off, but it's the law.

You all know what I think about anti docking legislation. I think it stinks, but I would never dock one of my pups, because I think the longer term problems are immense. And it's against the law. Mind you, I pray nightly that the mother will chew the tails off, or an act of God will happen and the tails will spontaneously disappear!! :D

Sometimes, the urge to do what is right (ie, save a nice dog) is very strong, but you need to consider all the implications of doing that by lying and avoiding the law, and the more you think of those implications, the worse you realise they are.

The right thing is to keep chipping away at wrong laws.