Coprice Family Dog Food

moko81

Hi,

I have a bitch who was mated last week, way to early to say wether she caught, just wanting to know

other breeders opinions on Coprice Family Dog Food? Is it a good dry food for her or should we change her to something else.

Have read that pregnant or lactating bitches should be put on a premium high quality diet. Which would be what?

Her dry is mixed in with her semi lean meat & yoghurt/sardines in alternate meals.

I have had a pregnant bitch before but to the horror of alot of other people she most definately was not on any form of

high quality dog diet, high quality human diet maybe :( :D :) she ate absolutely anything & everything & dry food was not on the menu :swear::swear::swear: .

I have only just put all my dogs on Coprice Family Dog Food today (for financial reasons), they seem to like it but I guess it's a bit early to tell.

Really interested in peoples thoughts.

I have only just put all my dogs on Coprice Family Dog Food today (for financial reasons), they seem to like it but I guess it's a bit early to tell.

If you want to do dry, when she is about 3 or 4 weeks along get a premium food just for the pregnant bitch or a slightly lesser quality one and supplement it with sardines, eggs and meat on the bone.

That said, no doubt thousands of bitches have whelped perfectly healthy litters on lesser diets than Coprice.

Sandra777 I agree....

I sometimes wonder if all the effort and expense I lavish on pregnant bitches is really worth it,

I have a friend who breeds some of the finest working Border Collies in Victoria and he feeds them the cheapest crappiest kibble money can buy, with the odd slab of raw beef thrown in when he butchers a bullock!

Then he locks the heavily pregnant bitches in a cage trailer on some straw and leaves them be!

He has rarely had a stillborn pup and has never had one fade.....

His dogs are sooooo fit and healthy and just seem to live forever! :whiteflag:

Mine are fed on it,the pups were fed on the puppy and then at 3 mths put onto working dog.The bitches were in beautiful nick-and i feed it BECAUSE it is rice based,not wheat or corn.

3 weeks prior to whelping i add the puppy to the bitches dry as well.They are on majority raw1/3 dry though,not just kibble.

I have also had no more problems with sloppy end result,dry coats and they keep weight on easily.No joint probs(ie east /west fronts) and at 5 mths,edward is 37 kg,so very heavy fro his age,the other pups are around the 32/35 kg as well.

So i think its great :whiteflag:

SBT123, I agree with you. I've always gone by the opinion that dogs are carnivores (theres been some discussion that they are omnivores but I look at my dogs dentition which screams carnivore to me :whiteflag:. They should be fed accordingly. I'd like to see dogs ancestors eating rice! Or bran! Gee wizz... Sure they might pick up a few bits and pieces in their travels, but basing their whole diet on rice/bran cereals in general is not my idea of good nutrition. Sorry! I would be feeding something at a minimum of a meat based product (look on the back of pack) then whenever you can afford up for there. :confused: Yep I know that zillions of dogs have whelped without quality food, but that doesnt mean if you want to do the right thing you shouldnt...

But then you will find lots of different opinions here on the forum :laugh: I hope that you are pregnant! Goodluck with your upcoming babies :rofl:

Thanks for all ur thoughts.

When I posted on here a few weeks earlier, for a cheaper alternative dry food the concensus was Uncle Albers or Great Barko.

Unfortunately the store that used to supply it close to me has closed down. The place where I got the Coprice from said they would

get it in for me but as my dogs were outta dry I went with this as they said it was very popular with alot of people & have heard good

things about it.

My dogs have been on it for a few days now & have not turned there nose up at it once, mind u it's mixed in with semi lean mince

sardines/yogurt (alternatively) so maybe they can't taste it :laugh::laugh::laugh: usually they'll just eat the meat & leave the kibble.

They are quite fussy specially with dry hence the reason weve been through every premium brand u can think of.

Once again thanks for all ur thoughts. ;) ;) :)

Sandra777 I agree....

I sometimes wonder if all the effort and expense I lavish on pregnant bitches is really worth it,

I have a friend who breeds some of the finest working Border Collies in Victoria and he feeds them the cheapest crappiest kibble money can buy, with the odd slab of raw beef thrown in when he butchers a bullock!

Then he locks the heavily pregnant bitches in a cage trailer on some straw and leaves them be!

He has rarely had a stillborn pup and has never had one fade.....

His dogs are sooooo fit and healthy and just seem to live forever! :D

Ah, I know. :angel: Could never happen like that for me.

but ask how the next generation goes? Probably never find out.

Nice pics Centitout. Mine too have it in amongst their raw and seem to do very well. Did you feed the bitches Coprice during pregnancy? If so, what sort - working, family, puppy etc?

ETA - that looks like a familiar, drizzly show... Crookwell?? :)

Edited by Alyosha

Nice pics Centitout. Mine too have it in amongst their raw and seem to do very well. Did you feed the bitches Coprice during pregnancy? If so, what sort - working, family, puppy etc?

ETA - that looks like a familiar, drizzly show... Crookwell?? :)

yes,was a miserable day,wasnt it :kissbetter:

Yes,bitches have been on it for the last year,and look great.They are all on working dog,the pups were on coprice puppy,then at 12 weeks intergrated the working dog in.I have all my pups on adult by 4 months.