Finding It Hard To Find The "one" :cry:

italmum

Yay italmum, I'm so so pleased for you, your family and Ollie. He really is a cutie and already sounds like he has settled in with you!!! So where, or should I say on who's bed, did he sleep last night huh!!?????

well he had an open door and chose to stay on his matt in the laundry, which was fine by me - i dont want to push myself on him :laugh: he did come into my room @ 5am though :laugh::laugh::laugh: he must have snuck in! but was asleep next to the bed..i think our bed is too high for him to get into anyways

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay italmum, I'm so so pleased for you, your family and Ollie. He really is a cutie and already sounds like he has settled in with you!!! So where, or should I say on who's bed, did he sleep last night huh!!?????

well he had an open door and chose to stay on his matt in the laundry, which was fine by me - i dont want to push myself on him :eek: he did come into my room @ 5am though :laugh::laugh::laugh: he must have snuck in! but was asleep next to the bed..i think our bed is too high for him to get into anyways

Well you'll have to purchase some doggy stairs so he can hop under the covers with you!! :laugh::eek::cry:

YAY! So pleased to hear all went well italmum. Now I''m a little jealous with our pup still not even born.....

Patience ....

Congratulations and all the best of luck with your new family member.

ohhh hehehe what an idea!!!

We have a set ... :laugh: Actually we have two sets, should Lord Muck choose to nap in the spare room that overlooks the backyard. I'm too embarassed to disclose his other "items" .... Small Dog Booster Car seat to see out the window anyone?

ohhh hehehe what an idea!!!

We have a set ... :( Actually we have two sets, should Lord Muck choose to nap in the spare room that overlooks the backyard. I'm too embarassed to disclose his other "items" .... Small Dog Booster Car seat to see out the window anyone?

there you go!!

steps for dogs

Uh huh... got one of those booster chair for Charlie too... :(

booster chair

Edited by charleswentworth

Just read this and I'm glad it all worked out well so far. :(

I would suggest if anyone else is in this situation again, ie small kids that you try and find a breeder with their own small kids or grandkids constantly around. I have 3 boys, 8, almost 6 and just turned 3, and after doing my research decided a cav would be perfect for us now. :(

I've had Cardigan corgis in the past and much as I love them still we have way too many stairs in our current home, and from my experience are better with school age kids and up. Maybe in a couple of years we'll get a Cardi to keep our Cav company. :o

Our tri colour boy Ben has been with us a week now, and the breeders are grandparents to 17 grandkids, so after meeting our boys on two seperate occasions were happy to let us bring him home. And he is lovely and friendly and placid and making our non dog friends all puppy clucky lolz.

Just read this and I'm glad it all worked out well so far. :(

I would suggest if anyone else is in this situation again, ie small kids that you try and find a breeder with their own small kids or grandkids constantly around. I have 3 boys, 8, almost 6 and just turned 3, and after doing my research decided a cav would be perfect for us now. :(

I've had Cardigan corgis in the past and much as I love them still we have way too many stairs in our current home, and from my experience are better with school age kids and up. Maybe in a couple of years we'll get a Cardi to keep our Cav company. :o

Our tri colour boy Ben has been with us a week now, and the breeders are grandparents to 17 grandkids, so after meeting our boys on two seperate occasions were happy to let us bring him home. And he is lovely and friendly and placid and making our non dog friends all puppy clucky lolz.

Congrats to you aswell :o My only prob with the breeders was the age of my kids...1, 2 and 4. I think once the breeder where we got ollie from, met them she saw that they werent ratbags...just like i have always said .

Cavs are great with children...i think more people i know will get one too :)

Italmum just so you know Cavs can be quite good jumpers (onto furniture, beds, over small fences etc.) much to the possible detriment of their patellars and such. I was amazed when our 2nd girl started to jump out of her puppy pen :( I had to get a crate to keep her in for the times I needed to make sure she wasn't underfoot (damn open plan home, not even my laundry has doors!!?? ) Yet the first girl didn't but she gets onto beds and the such.

Funniest thing ever was when I was walking her along a footpath and she leapt over someones front fence! A very nice clean leap while on the lead thank you very much. Must have spotted their cat?? Cheeky thing.

I'm sure Ollie will be full of surprises too. :(

Italmum just so you know Cavs can be quite good jumpers (onto furniture, beds, over small fences etc.) much to the possible detriment of their patellars and such. I was amazed when our 2nd girl started to jump out of her puppy pen :( I had to get a crate to keep her in for the times I needed to make sure she wasn't underfoot (damn open plan home, not even my laundry has doors!!?? ) Yet the first girl didn't but she gets onto beds and the such.

Funniest thing ever was when I was walking her along a footpath and she leapt over someones front fence! A very nice clean leap while on the lead thank you very much. Must have spotted their cat?? Cheeky thing.

I'm sure Ollie will be full of surprises too. :(

:party: something to keep an eye on!! He does jump up on me when he gets super exciting..i have to teach him not to do that..he may knock the kids over lol I have definately noticed his personality coming out now..what a cheeky cheeky lil boy!! he tries to get me to wind him up haha...so he runs past me and barks and runs off wagging his tail and does it over and over hehe too cute i think he wants me to chase him :party:

:( something to keep an eye on!! He does jump up on me when he gets super exciting..i have to teach him not to do that..he may knock the kids over lol I have definately noticed his personality coming out now..what a cheeky cheeky lil boy!! he tries to get me to wind him up haha...so he runs past me and barks and runs off wagging his tail and does it over and over hehe too cute i think he wants me to chase him :party:

Ollie sounds like a charmer!! :party:

Charlie (who is part cav) use to be an awesome jumper! He would clear the baby gates we put up for him when he was a puppy easy (we thought we had an agilty star on our hands.. haha). Also Charlie LOVES LOVES LOVES to be chased too!! He does what Ollie does to you... only he doesn't bark but nudge you with a toy he has in his mouth! :(

Italmum just so you know Cavs can be quite good jumpers (onto furniture, beds, over small fences etc.) much to the possible detriment of their patellars and such. I was amazed when our 2nd girl started to jump out of her puppy pen :laugh: I had to get a crate to keep her in for the times I needed to make sure she wasn't underfoot (damn open plan home, not even my laundry has doors!!?? ) Yet the first girl didn't but she gets onto beds and the such.

I'm sure Ollie will be full of surprises too. ;)

:wave: something to keep an eye on!! He does jump up on me when he gets super exciting..i have to teach him not to do that..he may knock the kids over lol I have definately noticed his personality coming out now..what a cheeky cheeky lil boy!! he tries to get me to wind him up haha...so he runs past me and barks and runs off wagging his tail and does it over and over hehe too cute i think he wants me to chase him :D

Definitely trying to 'incite a game" fun loving personalties! I've often seen Cavaliers described in books as "keeping their puppy playfulness their whole lives". I agree with that statement.

With regard to "jumping up on people" that can be a tricky issue. None of my dogs jump up on me because I have taught them this from the start, both German Shepherd and Cavaliers. HOWEVER, they will jump up on my kids (all grown up)and the OH. Why? Because THEY LET THEM! :D Grrrr. Despite discussing rules it is a well known fact that teenagers and soft touch husbands will, even after agreeing, break them! LOL :D I've had to really put my foot down on the NO TIDBITS rule. Citing 'health issues' and threatening them with 'extremely annoying dogs when you are trying to eat something' helped with that one! :D

Italmum just so you know Cavs can be quite good jumpers (onto furniture, beds, over small fences etc.) much to the possible detriment of their patellars and such. I was amazed when our 2nd girl started to jump out of her puppy pen :laugh: I had to get a crate to keep her in for the times I needed to make sure she wasn't underfoot (damn open plan home, not even my laundry has doors!!?? ) Yet the first girl didn't but she gets onto beds and the such.

I'm sure Ollie will be full of surprises too. ;)

:wave: something to keep an eye on!! He does jump up on me when he gets super exciting..i have to teach him not to do that..he may knock the kids over lol I have definately noticed his personality coming out now..what a cheeky cheeky lil boy!! he tries to get me to wind him up haha...so he runs past me and barks and runs off wagging his tail and does it over and over hehe too cute i think he wants me to chase him ;)

Definitely trying to 'incite a game" fun loving personalties! I've often seen Cavaliers described in books as "keeping their puppy playfulness their whole lives". I agree with that statement.

With regard to "jumping up on people" that can be a tricky issue. None of my dogs jump up on me because I have taught them this from the start, both German Shepherd and Cavaliers. HOWEVER, they will jump up on my kids (all grown up)and the OH. Why? Because THEY LET THEM! :D Grrrr. Despite discussing rules it is a well known fact that teenagers and soft touch husbands will, even after agreeing, break them! LOL :D I've had to really put my foot down on the NO TIDBITS rule. Citing 'health issues' and threatening them with 'extremely annoying dogs when you are trying to eat something' helped with that one! :rofl:

As i have only had him here 3 days..with food during lunch i pop him outside, and dinner he eats his food inside and as soon as he has finished i let him run around the yard...my kids would pass food down to him if i didnt! hopefully he will learn that when we are eating he is not to be around i sound so mean :D

i have taught him how to sit though :D i am very happy with how quickly he has learnt that...no food rewards just lots and lots of hugs from "mum" and i am hoping that once he shows that he can sit always on command that i can use that to stop his jumping on ppl ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!!

I know you wanted to hear whats been going on with "ollie" aka as Christian the dog, Everything was going great..he had settled in really well into our family life, and was my lil doggy shadow :o

My son suffers from asthma , and had been having a few fairly major episodes in the past couple of weeks..the doctor said it may be enviromental and we had pretty much put it down to the dog flaring up his allergies.

Ollie was quarantened away from Christian (my son) for a day to see if his breathing got better, which it did..after a few allergy tests with the docs on saturday. it confirmed that he has allergies to pet hair..and appariently Cav's shed quite alot!! Which Ollie did.

So after all the heartache trying to find the dog for our family and then actually finding Ollie, unfortunatley looks like we wont ever get to own a dog :laugh:

Its a bit upsetting, and Ollie cried when i had to return him :laugh: as did my son when i drove off with Ollie

Hi guys!!

I know you wanted to hear whats been going on with "ollie" aka as Christian the dog, Everything was going great..he had settled in really well into our family life, and was my lil doggy shadow :o

My son suffers from asthma , and had been having a few fairly major episodes in the past couple of weeks..the doctor said it may be enviromental and we had pretty much put it down to the dog flaring up his allergies.

Ollie was quarantened away from Christian (my son) for a day to see if his breathing got better, which it did..after a few allergy tests with the docs on saturday. it confirmed that he has allergies to pet hair..and appariently Cav's shed quite alot!! Which Ollie did.

So after all the heartache trying to find the dog for our family and then actually finding Ollie, unfortunatley looks like we wont ever get to own a dog :laugh:

Its a bit upsetting, and Ollie cried when i had to return him :laugh: as did my son when i drove off with Ollie

Sorry to hear that italmum. Don't give up on the idea of owning a dog; perhaps a dog that does not shed would be the go such as a poodle, westie, maltese, mini schnauzer, etc etc.

Oh no what a shame :laugh: My daughter is highly allergic to quite a few animals. I react to German Shepherds but am okay with others. If you do look into another breed just be aware some people can still be allergic to non-shedding breeds. My daughter hoped to get a rex cat but she met some and reacted badly to them as well.