New Vic Heat Policy

capanash

3.5.15 Hot Weather (effective 15/04/10)

3.5.15.1 Exhibitions must be cancelled when the forecast temperature available at 10 am from the Bureau of Meteorology (www.bom.gov.au/weather/vic/) two days prior for conformation exhibitions, is 37 degrees Celsius or higher; for obedience, agility, flyball and earthdog trials, is 34 degrees Celsius or higher; and for herding trials, tests and training, is 30 degrees Celsius or higher.

3.5.15.2 For multiple exhibitions scheduled for a weekend, only those exhibitions where the temperatures do not comply with those specified in these regulations, must be cancelled.

3.5.15.3 It is the responsibility of an exhibitor to check two days prior to the exhibition that the BOM forecasted temperature for the day, at the locality where the exhibition is to be held, is in accordance with these regulations.

3.5.15.4 A refund of entry fees will not apply.

3.5.15.5 The affiliate must notify DOGS Victoria immediately of the decision to cancel. The cancellation will be posted on the DOGS Victoria website.

3.5.15.6 Where the affiliate cancels an exhibition, the secretary must submit a copy of the catalogue to DOGS Victoria within 14 days of the date of cancellation.

3.5.15.7 All levies from entry fees and ground hire fees where applicable, will be paid to DOGS Victoria.

3.5.15.8 All fees for contracted judges and officials must be paid.

These Regulations do not apply where an exhibition has been scheduled to be held in an air conditioned venue or where the exhibition is scheduled to commence after 7 pm.

I think basing the cancellation of a show on a weather forecast 48 hrs beforehand is a bit extreme. The forecasters often can't get it right 24 hrs ahead let alone 48 hrs. Why not go for a forecast the evening before the show. I notice that Dogs Vic are still going to grab all their fees whether the show is held or not, typical!!

Pam

Apologies if this appears twice - I messed up the first time and nothing has appeared so am re sending.

I think it will be goodbye to a lot of shows in the warmer months and this could mean some clubs have to go as what will they have to rely on for finances? If you entered your dog (this is to anyone reading this), and the temps went over 37 degrees so you lost all your money, would you then enter that same show the following year if the weather was looking warm when entries were due in?

I don't understand why the temp issue? Why do we all pay out so much money for Cool Coats, Cool Mats, Fans with ice blocks attached to them for the front of our trollies and etc? We have squirty bottles of water on hand and many things that we would usually be making sure our dogs are being kept cooler. How many people do all this with their dog at home on the same temperature day and how many people rush home from work to make sure that the dogs don't need their Cool Coat re soaked and etc? (you would normally never leave a cool coat on when not home).

I am not saying that no matter what heat we should be allowed to show - I am just meaning that at 37 degrees, most of us are not silly and possibly do more at the show to make sure that the dogs are kept cool and safe than what we would normally even do at home as we want them to perform to their best. At home they may be cool but it doesn't matter if they are feeling lazy stretched out under the trees in the shade and etc. At the shows we keep them cool so they are feeling like they want to get out there and strut their stuff with us.

Secretaries are not silly either. I recall Kathy Humphries announcing at Cohuna one year that the show would start later due to the heat. That seemed to be a good idea with most people and worked well. If the later time didn't suit someone then they could have gone home. There were so many dogs that day that were being squirted with water bottles and loving it, there were dogs sprawled out on their Cool mats and there were dogs getting a new Cool coat on the day. There were fans running and more. I don't see the problem!

And this is just my opinion but hopefully many more peoples too.

I agree wilooka.

i will have to re think some of my normal entries to some of the summer shows as my normal entry cost is $50 a show, so a lovely weekend like cohuna costs $200 or more depending on who all i bring!

when we went this year and last our dogs were quite comfortable. i bring the generator plus 4 big stand fans, a fridge....the dogs definitely didn't suffer! :confused:

i would think that almost everyone of us would come prepared for our dogs!

Guest CaptainCourageous

Capanash,

Where have these rules come from?

Here's one of the Special Resolutions going to the VCA AGM:

That the following motion be adopted by DOGS Victoria as their Extreme Weather Policy to override the Extreme Weather policy adopted by Management Committee at their January 2010 meeting.

1. That owners of dogs are ultimately responsible for the welfare of their animals at all times, not only in Extreme Weather Conditions.

2. That all dog events (shows, trials, agility, obedience and

show training) should be cancelled when a ‘Catastrophic Weather Condition’ alert be issued.

3. Dog events may be cancelled at other times by their show committee if they feel conditions are not acceptable for the well being of dogs and exhibitors.

4. In the event of the BoM issuing weather forecasts for 36

degrees or higher then the show committee has the right 36 hours before the show/trial to change the starting time of the show and on the day take breeds from judges to get the show finished quicker as long as those breeds reallocated are not being judged by the new judge within a 12 month period within 250km radius of the show. The temperature indicated by the BoM must be at the location of the show.

CC

Edited by CaptainCourageous

I don't understand why the temp issue? Why do we all pay out so much money for Cool Coats, Cool Mats, Fans with ice blocks attached to them for the front of our trollies and etc?

The issue is that not everyone does the right thing, nor makes the right decisions.

People notice those people, not the ones that do all the things you mentioned in your post. Inevitably all get tarnished with the same brush. Then rules like this have to be made to protect the potential innocent and helpless victims of others possible foolishness. I don't begrudge any such rules, it doesn't hurt any one.

Edited by nynka

I would simply view entries to cancelled shows as a donation to my hobby. Afterall, at the end of the day I spend much more money getting to a show, food, petrol etc etc. The entry fee is minimal. And the poor show secretary who has probably done more work than anyone, doesn't end up with anything except everyones gripes.

With Daylight savings why can't some of these country clubs start their show later in the afternoon?

Or perhaps very early in the morning?

I think if a show is cancelled the VCA SHOULD NOT get their fees as the club did not use the grounds so why pay a hire fee or for some one

to set up the rings?

The groundsman would of been given enough notice not to set up the rings or open the toilet blocks.

The club still has their show expenses so why should the VCA take thier fees?

BB

I would be pretty annoyed to, given you enter a month or so prior to the show, entering 3 or more dogs in a few shows and then if they get cancelled why should Dogs Victoria get the money? seems a bit unfair, as if you imagine an average entry of 800 dogs X $10 per entry is $8,000 :eek: thats without the cost of people buying the catalouges aswell..

This also doesnt take into account the cost for a specialty show with international judges either, average cost of a specialty show entry is around $38

Edited to add, at the end of the day I make my own decsision on my dogs well being before a show :laugh:

Edited by Pockets

Im pleased we now have a set temperature, a time and place to look.

BUT

I think 10am the day before is enough notice.

And the page we are given to look at doesn't cover all of Vic, mainly just Melbourne.

Looks like a carbon copy of the SA Heat Policy that was bought into effect 1 July 2009.

Not a showy but the 48 hours out did impact on at least one show that was held in SA. A cool change came through much earlier then anticipated with the forecast max being at much as 10 degrees less then that anticipated 2 days prior. I also know there was an issue because they were basing the decision to cancel on the Adelaide forecast max and not that at the venue which being in the hills was a degree or so cooler.

Edited by ness

Im pleased we now have a set temperature, a time and place to look.

BUT

I think 10am the day before is enough notice.

And the page we are given to look at doesn't cover all of Vic, mainly just Melbourne.

I too am pleased we have a "definite" policy .....

I wonder whether the 2 days prior is done to provide enough notice to judges as well who might be flying in ? ... it's not just exhibitors effected.

Show committees will have to start considering their venues and hold twilight shows ... I know there will of course be some who don't have

the desired venues but there are many country towns etc with sports ovals that have lighting. Probably additional expenses but if exhibitors want

shows they may have to put up with increased entry costs.

It's probably a good thing that an actual temperature has been set but in saying that I think I'll be less likely to risk entering a show in northern country vic. It's not just entries but also deposit for accommodation, fuel, childcare costs. Lucky southern NSW is only an hour away!

It will also make an impact on interstate people,the show in SA for example i now of a number of WA people who flew over .

Its good to have some stance but obviously clubs that do have interstate /internationals will have to look a there dates & weigh up the risks.

Lets face it the show in SA had internationals judges