Winning Agility Dogs.

Another thread got me curious, aside from the normal Border Collies and Kelpies what other breeds do you see winning the agility rings?

Mini Schnauzers

Shelties

Aussies

Beardies

for a start.

More if you start looking at individual height classes like ADAA run.

Oh - who's to say the borders and kelpies that win are normal!! :)

In NSW, we have a variety of dogs sharing the podiums...poodles, papillons, staffy mixes, vizlas, GSP's, JRT's, Goldens, schnauzers, Cavs and a heap of mixed breed dogs.

yeah ok so I'm biased but they are family (doggy family) :thumbsup::rofl::rofl:

Edited by FionaC

Ziggy and I are very green but he has come along in leaps and bounds with a few private lessons - hasn't hurt my handling skills either :rofl:

Dallies don't have a reputation as being easy to train but I've got great focus with him and, boy, can he move!!!! Loves nutting out reward criteria during training, jumps with room to spare and has a ball doing it too :thumbsup: I've had a few judges comment to me that they don't know why more people don't run Dalmatians in agility :rofl:

At the lower levels in agility I see lots of variety winning! At the top level, when all heights are competing against each other, I see far less variety of breeds consistently winning. It's not physically possible for many breeds to beat a good run from the bcs, koolie, kelpie type dogs.

Edited by FHRP

How do the belgians do? I think my girl probably has a great body type for agility - tall and skinny and loves to jump - as well as plenty of smarts and drive, but have never seriously trained agility so have no idea whether belgians tend to do well at the top levels?

At the lower levels in agility I see lots of variety winning! At the top level, when all heights are competing against each other, I see far less variety of breeds consistently winning. It's not physically possible for many breeds to beat a good run from the bcs, koolie, kelpie type dogs.

Takes a darn good handler to get those 'high-end' dogs working so well too!

How do the belgians do? I think my girl probably has a great body type for agility - tall and skinny and loves to jump - as well as plenty of smarts and drive, but have never seriously trained agility so have no idea whether belgians tend to do well at the top levels?

The Belgians do well :eek:

I love this dog

This dog trains French Ring as well :mad

The Belgians do well :laugh:

I love this dog

This dog trains French Ring as well :laugh:

He is a cutie! I wish we had ringsports over here. Schutzhund is fun to watch, but ring seems so much more realistic and varied.

Locally we have a few Belgians running in agility. Currently there are 3 young ones just started with our club. Our cheif instructor has 2 that are lovely dogs and there is a good breeder nearby. Our trainer is just heading off to compet in the agility world games overseas.

I did not see them before as I am new to the whole world of agility and dogs. Maybe not as fast as the best BC's etc but good dogs.

I started running my dogs at ADAA in NSW where you compet in your height class. I was a bit spun out at my first ANKC trail when I found that all sizes ran against each other. I thought this must be really hard for toys and mini's to be competitive. My dog ran in his first jumping test at 40cm, pretty slow as it was hot, but overall came about 6th. On a good day he might be fastest but not at higher levels.

But regardless of type (and the trainer plays a part ) don't you love to see a dog that loves to run agility, that barks to go and can hardly bear to wait for that command to "go"! I love watching a local greyhound that runs OK except every now and then He gets so excited he gets the zoomies and just burns around.

Locally we have a few Belgians running in agility. Currently there are 3 young ones just started with our club. Our cheif instructor has 2 that are lovely dogs and there is a good breeder nearby. Our chief instructor is just heading off to compet in the agility world games overseas.

I did not see them before as I am new to the whole world of agility and dogs. Maybe not as fast as the best BC's etc but good dogs.

I started running my dogs at ADAA in NSW where you compet in your height class. I was a bit spun out at my first ANKC trail when I found that all sizes ran against each other. I thought this must be really hard for toys and mini's to be competitive. My dog ran in his first jumping test at 40cm, pretty slow as it was hot, but overall came about 6th. On a good day he might be fastest but not at higher levels.

But regardless of type (and the trainer plays a part ) don't you love to see a dog that loves to run agility, that barks to go and can hardly bear to wait for that command to "go"! I love watching a local greyhound that runs OK except every now and then He gets so excited he gets the zoomies and just burns around.

Apparently Papillons do well. Berri did one intro lesson, he practically took off flying with those big ears and that speed lol. Looking forwards to more agility to come! Got a copy of Susan Garrats Success with one Jump, and am looking forwards to putting some of it into practice!

Just wish Berri was more toy motivated, working on that. Mango is EXTREMELY toy motivated, but has such a gentle nature and such precious feet (wont walk in wet grass etc) I'm not sure she'll ever get into agility.

Apparently Papillons do well. Berri did one intro lesson, he practically took off flying with those big ears and that speed lol. Looking forwards to more agility to come! Got a copy of Susan Garrats Success with one Jump, and am looking forwards to putting some of it into practice!

Just wish Berri was more toy motivated, working on that. Mango is EXTREMELY toy motivated, but has such a gentle nature and such precious feet (wont walk in wet grass etc) I'm not sure she'll ever get into agility.

Yep I know someone with Papillons who does very well!

Yep I know someone with Papillons who does very well!

Are you thinking of the 'pap on crack' too, Kavik! Had the privilege of seeing him run in Vic at Nationals - totally amazing (the handler too :)).