Gsd Accident

Gilypoo

As Most of you might be aware, I have a GSD that makes it her mission to escape... On Tuesday Afternoon my worst fears came to life.

My poor Miss Molly was hit by a 4WD. A neighbour witnessed it and she said it looked like Molly went under the car and no impact was seen or heard.

After a mercy dash to the Vets (when I found out, as it happened around 2.00pm ish and I didnt get home from work till 5) they said She is ok, a little bruised and scared but one VERY lucky puppy..

My neighbours tried to get molly to check her but she wouldnt go near ANYONE...

My question to DOL users is: Is there a way to teach a dog "ROAD SENSE".

In the area that I live in we dont have any foot path so when we go for a walk we have to walk on the road. When a car comes i say "CAR" and veer them onto the very limited kerbing. However it seems that when they escape all reason gets lost and its a free for all...

Please dont flame me, for being a bad and irresponsible owner. My hubby and I are trying EVERYTHING to keep the dogs in, but it obviously isnt enough and all the nasty comments in the world wont make me feel any worse then I already do.

I failed my dog by not protecting her and keeping her safe and I will never forgive myself.

Any advise on "ROAD SENSE" would be REALLY appreciated..

Gily :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly?

No. All we can do is contain them and control them.

Sounds like you need properly constructed, roofed runs for when you aren't home.

Edited by poodlefan

Honestly?

No. All we can do is contain them and control them.

Sounds like you need properly constructed, roofed runs for when you aren't home.

Ditto to that.

There is no practical and safe way to teach them road sense. Back in my younger days, when dogs free roamed, traffic wasn't too bad although it was building up. The dogs that learnt "road sense" were the ones who learnt it the hard way with narrow misses and enough 'fright' to make them watch out for cars. Those were the lucky ones, but even then their 'learning' would never be enough. Others unfortunately met their fate and could do no more learning. Today's traffic is far more dense and faster.

What has been tried and failed in the way of fencing to keep them in? Perhaps we can assist you with some ideas in that respect? But tell us what you've done/tried first, so we aren't re-hashing old ground.

Edited by Erny

We have an acre property will over 300 meters of fencing..

They were escaping through on section of fencing (approx 75 meters) so my other half wanted to drop the frnce line by about 1 meter. We have building restrictions and arnt alloud any fencing except ring lock.

Anyway, we dropped this section and all was fine (for 1 week) They started tyo then dig at another section, so we dropped that line and were planning on doing the remander 200 meters this long weekend as we would have time.. Obviousley she got out again and was injured...

She wears a containment collar aswell that doesnt seem to stop her..

Her escaping isnt the issue that I wanted to raise. I know we need to do the dog run but we thought we would try this option 1st.

So thanks for the advise on the "road sense" or should I say lack of raod sense. Ill just have to hope it NEVER NEVER happens again.

Thanks

What has been tried and failed in the way of fencing to keep them in? Perhaps we can assist you with some ideas in that respect? But tell us what you've done/tried first, so we aren't re-hashing old ground.

I started a thread for ideas not to long ago and got some great suggestions.. I put them all to the OH and he wanted to start with this idea 1st... I really couldnt complain as he was going to be the one doing most of the Physical labor...

Untill the whole fence line is dropped I am currently driving 1hour everyday to drop the dogs off at my closest family member to keep them safe...

:D

I'd be giving your mobile no to all close neighbours AND putting it on their collars.

But I'd be giving building runs a priority.

I'd no more try to teach a dog about roads (and expect them to heed the teaching at all times) than I would a toddler. Clearly Guide Dogs manage to get the message across but I've no idea how they do it and those dogs are under humand direction when they work.

Edited by poodlefan

The cheapest,safest way is a run.

You have to realize the dogs now do this as a habit,you could drop the fence lower & it still make no difference at all.

Its a case of when you plan to draw the line.

You can buy great prefab kennels for day time which will safely house the dogs

I'd be giving your mobile no to all close neighbours AND putting it on their collars.

But I'd be giving building runs a priority.

I'd no more try to teach a dog about roads (and expect them to heed the teaching at all times) than I would a toddler. Clearly Guide Dogs manage to get the message across but I've no idea how they do it.

Already done the 1st suggestion after the accident everyone in our streets have my contact details. As I said before, the neighbours couldnt get close enough to her to look at her collar. Both my Girls always have identidfication them. The have there name (my details aswell) their shire tag, a tag that says " scan me im microchipped" the micro chip identification tag (to call CAR if dog is found) and then there actual micro chip.. WOW i sound like an obsessived puppy mum :D

Clearly Guide Dogs manage to get the message across but I've no idea how they do it.

Those dogs are amazing. You gave me an idea, I might call them and see if there is any books on training a guide dog. I know that those dogs gets years of training, but they may be able to suggest some more basic training.. THANKS

Sorry Molly was hurt,and glad it was not worse. You ,unfortunately, can't rely on 'hope' :D a roofed and floored run is the only solution, it seems.

Yes, Guide Dogs are taught to stop (without human cues) at the approach of a vehicle..however, I doubt that would carry over to a dog running wildly along a road. :mad

Unfortunately, the more she escapes, the cleverer she will get at working out HOW :o

The cheapest,safest way is a run.

You have to realize the dogs now do this as a habit,you could drop the fence lower & it still make no difference at all.

Its a case of when you plan to draw the line.

You can buy great prefab kennels for day time which will safely house the dogs

Ive looked into the pre fab runs and they unfortunatley dont suit what we need. I also have a 68 kilo great dane puppy so they need to be fenced together and we will need it to be a weird shape...

They havent seem to dig in the bit already dropped, do you think that they will go back there?

Your so lucky she survived

We are SOO SOO lucky. I dont know what I would of done if it had of been a different outcome.

Those dogs are amazing. You gave me an idea, I might call them and see if there is any books on training a guide dog. I know that those dogs gets years of training, but they may be able to suggest some more basic training.. THANKS

As I edited my post to reflect though, they don't expect the dogs to do these things without human direction. Your situation is quite different.

You could have runs up this weekend .. but clearly you need to think about putting down a concrete slab is digging is an issue.

Unfortunately, the more she escapes, the cleverer she will get at working out HOW

You hit it right on the head there :D ... It is so frustrating, like I said, i know I did wrong by my dog by not protecting her but all I can do is ask for help and try to fix the problem :mad

You could have runs up this weekend .. but clearly you need to think about putting down a concrete slab is digging is an issue.

Unfortunatly I have looked into this option as it was my most perfered.. (OH had the final say)

Our council is VERY VERY strict and anything with a concrete floor needs building approval. Ive spoken to them and they have said that the application is likely to get rejected because of where we need to build it... I am trying to work around these issues. At the very least if they approve the application without questions, it takes an average of 3 weeks, longer beacuse of the easter break..

For absolute peace of mind a secure run with shelter water and correct flooring is the only way. Have had fence jumpers in the past and the run was the only solution.

Oh just saw the concrete dilemmaabove ..what about concrete slabs then? can be removed if necessary.

Edited by Liebhunde

Aaargh typing a reply and lost it.

Anyway - along the lines of what pf said - guide dog training is for a different scenario.

IMHO there's no way to train a dog to have road sense when they're unaccompanied - as Erny says - some seem to be born with it or be able to acquire it through near misses - others never do.

It's not only the roads that you have to worry about though, with confirmed escapers - livestock, kids, snakes etc. are also a worry.

So, containment is the only option.

This is one of the DOL advertisers -don't know them - just putting the link in for ideas. Dog runs link