Crate Size

Mas1981

The crate would only be for trials and seminars so he wouldnt be in one for hours at a time. The problem car wise is that I only have a little Getz so I am not sure how I am going fit a HUGE crate in my car, it would be folded up though as Mason wears a harness for travelling. I have no idea how big the crates will be when folded, going to visit a friend today who has a 42" so I will get a rough idea how big that is and if Mason would fit.

Also be sure to consider the size of your car if you are wanting to take the crate out with you. No point having a huge crate that you can't fit in the car!

ahhh very very true - I should add that we have a Kia 4wd and a Magna so plenty of room in both for luggage ... we don't travel with the crates up/open (our boys travel in car harnesses in the back seats) so our crates travel folded up in the boot of the car

Same here. I wanted an XXL sized crate for my boy but there was NO WAY it was going to fit in my car :laugh: We bought the XL instead. Still plenty of room for Kei and it fits in the car fine ;)

He looks very comfy in there :happydance:

The 42" is going to be 110cm x 70cm when folded ;) .

Just measured my car boot and it is only 100 x 57, me thinks the crate and dog wont be fitting in the one car :laugh: Hubby has an Elantra but prefers the dog not to go in it, that has a lovely big boot though.

I bought my first crate which is a 36" from a Lab breeder. She uses that size for all her dogs ;)

As far as soft crates go we have the K9+ Royale in an XL and I can't recommend them highly enough - excellent crates and the lady that sells them is absolutely lovely to deal with. I'm sure if you gave her a call she would be more than happy to recommend the right size for your dog :laugh:

If you are looking for something a little cheaper than that try here: http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Lightwe...y-161p14748.htm This crate would be the right size for a lab. While they don't have as many features as the K9+ crates they are still pretty good and very reasonably priced.

Also be sure to consider the size of your car if you are wanting to take the crate out with you. No point having a huge crate that you can't fit in the car!

eta: linky to the lab sized K9+ Royale: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K9-LARGE-ROYALE2-SO...=item3a5911dfe8

We have the next size up which fits a Ridgie :happydance:

I like the one in the first link, looks easy to fold and carry too.

Friend of mine got a 42' one and struggled to fit it anywhere cause it was SO big and is really not very transportable!

I would say it would be too big for a lab, and you will probably find that ur dog will only lay down in it anywhere dogs dont usually sit in one spot for very long they prefer to lay down :happydance:

Yes friends of mine are saying that with a 42" its hard to take it anywhere. I think I need a bigger car I only have a Getz so who knows how me, Mason and the crate are going to fit in the car :laugh: How much smaller are the soft ones when they are folded??

I have a Yaris and when I travel the crate takes up a whole half of the backseat and I pack around it as I don't have much boot space...and I only have a 3.5 kg Papillon ;)

I just tried Buster(Lab X Rotty) in the 36" crate and it was way too small for him.

I tried Mason in a 42" today and it was HUGE. I however think that if i got a soft crate I would be able to get it behind my 2 front seats without too much of a struggle. A 36' or 42' wont fit in the boot so thats a bit of a problem.

Yeah, there's no way you'll get a crate in a boot that narrow :bolt: You should be fine getting a Large (36") soft crate behind the seat though.

To give you an idea the measurements on a Large soft crate are 91cm Length x 65cm Width x 65cm Height, Weight 6 kg. It would fold down to the length x width and around 2 inches thick :eek:

Yeah, there's no way you'll get a crate in a boot that narrow :( You should be fine getting a Large (36") soft crate behind the seat though.

To give you an idea the measurements on a Large soft crate are 91cm Length x 65cm Width x 65cm Height, Weight 6 kg. It would fold down to the length x width and around 2 inches thick :)

Yip I think thats what I am going to have to do!!

Thank you I will definitely consider one of these!!

Lol, Ive been meaning to post about them but because Im on holidays I didnt have the name with me...then realised its written on the bag lmao

Ive only just gotten mine and Im very happy with it, Ive seen the large ones and they are a very decent size (made up) but still fold down quite small, they are strong as well, Im glad I went with this style rather than the flat ones because my car isnt very big either, mine is a Mazda3 so its a bit bigger than yours, but even my wire crate that I posted about earlier only just fits in the boot lol

Thanks for starting this topic MM, I was going to buy a 42" metal crate but now I think I will buy the 36" soft crate.

My only concern is for a puppy if it happens to soil in the soft crate is it easy to clean?

Thanks for starting this topic MM, I was going to buy a 42" metal crate but now I think I will buy the 36" soft crate.

My only concern is for a puppy if it happens to soil in the soft crate is it easy to clean?

Id put a towel or something in there, should absorb it, as for cleaning it there is no reason why you couldnt just hose it out and leave it out to dry

Hi all, I can only speak for my soft styled crates, as I am unsure about others, but the waterproofing is on the inside of the fabric, so cleaning is very easy. A simple hosing out and a gentle wipe or brush. You can remove the entire skin for a gentle hand wash, but after 4 plus years of use, I have never actually needed to do this.

Regarding height, no your dog is not supposed to be able to sit up in the crate and have his head clear the roof. Of course you can have a crate that big if you wish, but it unnecessary. Crating is quiet time, so the dog should always be encouraged to lay down and rest. By ensuring the crate is not so tall that it allows for a comfortable sit, this will help to create a more calm dog. My advise is that provided the dog is not long for it's height (and Labs are not a long breed), the crate needs to be approx 2-3cm taller than the dog's HAS (Height At Shoulder) this is absolutely enough space. Particularly if the main application is for trialling, showing etc

Some people like their dogs to have a little more room if being crated over night, and that is their choice.

Labrador Retriever most common crate size is either of my 2 Large models. As long as the dog is not hugely larger than Breed Standard or over weight the large swill be fine.

Hope this helps. :cry:

K9+ Soft Dog Crates

ps. for anyone checking my website, I apologise but it has been recently hacked, and we are working to rectify this issue. :(

Edited by dyzney

Id put a towel or something in there, should absorb it, as for cleaning it there is no reason why you couldnt just hose it out and leave it out to dry

Thanks GG :cry:

Hi all, I can only speak for my soft styled crates, as I am unsure about others, but the waterproofing is on the inside of the fabric, so cleaning is very easy. A simple hosing out and a gentle wipe or brush. You can remove the entire skin for a gentle hand wash, but after 4 plus years of use, I have never actually needed to do this.

Regarding height, no your dog is not supposed to be able to sit up in the crate and have his head clear the roof. Of course you can have a crate that big if you wish, but it unnecessary. Crating is quiet time, so the dog should always be encouraged to lay down and rest. By ensuring the crate is not too big allowing for a comfortable sit, this will help to create a more calm dog. My advise is that provided the dog is not long for it's height (and Labs are not a long breed), then so long as the crate is approx 2-3cm taller than the dog's HAS, this is absolutely enough space. Particularly if the main application is for trialling, showing etc

Some people like their dogs to have a little more room if being crated over night, and that is their choice.

Labrador Retriever most common crate size is either of my 2 Large models. As long as the dog is not hugely larger than Breed Standard or over weight the large swill be fine.

Hope this helps. :cry:

K9+ Soft Dog Crates

ps. for anyone checking my website, it has been recently hacked, and we are working to rectify this issue. :(

I saw that is has been hacked when i tried to go onto it the other day :angel:

Thanks for answering the question about the size, my lab is quite small and only weighs 31,5Kg.