Feeding Pregnant Bitch

RoseRed

Ok, so I know "morning sickness" is a common sympton and pregnant bitches can go off their food early in pregnancy, but is there any suggestions on what foods you can give them that might still tempt them, but is still healthy for them to eat?

My girl has gone off her food and doesn't seem to have eaten much at all for the past week. We gave her some beef liver treats tonight (which she scoffed down) but I didn't want to give her too many of them coz I find she gets the runs if she has too many of them.

So I tried some weetbix mixed with hot water and milk, and she managed to eat some of that, but I'm a bit worried about giving her too much milk. Is milk ok?

Any other suggestions?

She won't eat fresh meat,or scrambled egg,or her normal food with a small amount of sardines or grated cheese mixed thru??

weetbix and milk has no real place in a dog's diet....

(not much help as I have never had dealings with a pregnant bitch who refuses food !!)

has she been checked by the vet?

Edited by persephone

She won't eat fresh meat,or scrambled egg,or her normal food with a small amount of sardines or grated cheese mixed thru??

weetbix and milk has no real place in a dog's diet....

(not much help as I have never had dealings with a pregnant bitch who refuses food !!)

has she been checked by the vet?

She never eats sardines (has never liked them). I gave her some raw fresh chicken meat last night, had a little nibble but that was it. I might try her with the scrambled eggs.

I was gonna take her to the vet next week, might bring the appointment forward

Does she look/behave ok apart from that? No discharge, or extra licking of vulva- or extra drinking or anything?

Yes, she seems healthy enough otherwise. She does seem quieter/lazier than what she is normally, but I assume that's just another symptom of pregnancy

If I've ever had a sick dog or hard to feed pregnant or feeding bitch I got chicken leg pieces of the bone and braise them lightly in olive oil and feed it to them warm. I haven't had one refuse it yet.

You are better off giving your bitch 'puppy milk' then cows milk will upset her tummy more so.

Keep trying different things with her and I find warm things really help. Warm chicken mince with cooked vegies, soaked dry food so it's wet etc etc.....

Goodluck!!

If I've ever had a sick dog or hard to feed pregnant or feeding bitch I got chicken leg pieces of the bone and braise them lightly in olive oil and feed it to them warm. I haven't had one refuse it yet.

You are better off giving your bitch 'puppy milk' then cows milk will upset her tummy more so.

Keep trying different things with her and I find warm things really help. Warm chicken mince with cooked vegies, soaked dry food so it's wet etc etc.....

Goodluck!!

Thanks Wilderblu :laugh:

How pregnant is she?

What does she normally eat?

If she is +7 weeks, she wont want one big meal a day. You could try her with cooked rolled oats, mixed with milk, a raw egg and honey or glucodin. Rolled oats are better than weetbix, more nutrients, and help bring the milk in - even if she isn't ready to whelp. It is also very easy to digest. And if she hasn't thrown up the milk, keep it up. Goats is better, but hard to acquire. If you can buy honey from a beekeeper, that will be better, if it is processed hot, a lot of the nutrients are lost, but it's still ok.

Otherwise, cook up some chicken in a little water, and serve it warm. Sometimes a little vegemite in the water makes it more appetising.

Feed her twice or 3 times daily.

Cavs can be fussy pre and post whelping, and go off their food. They need more tempting.

When the system is busy - whelping, growing pups, injured - it cannot do 2 things at once, and frequently, wont digest under those circumstances, so you need to feed things which are easy to digest.

If she will eat the oats mixture, it wont hurt her if that is all she will eat for a week or so. I often find mine wont eat post whelping, but they will eat this.

Try serving her food @ room temp ,adding a little vegimite to hot water (cooling b4 serving )over her favorite kibble ,or chicken broth made from chicken you have cooked for her ,Also try tuna or salmon in vegie oil if she dosnt like sardines

My girl goes right off her food when she is pregnant. The first time I was in a real panic - but knew what to expect from her the second time. (She has only had the 2 litters)

I agree with everyone, but Wilderblu has the ideas that have mostly worked for my girl. She also doesn't like water for a week after whelping so I give her chicken broth...she will also tolerate that when she is pregnant. I avoid the dairy in any form as that usually gives them the runs - as does liver.

Good Luck!

My pug girl is a "finicky eater" i know hard to believe. When she was in pup and while she is feeding pus she will devour chicken thighs. I have to buy in bulk and pan fry them and then remove the meat I also use the fat in the pan mixed in. She then progresses to eating them mixed with her normal food. I have also found tha these work for the "lovelorn' boys when the girls are in season.