Ndtf V Delta Instructors Course

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had an obedience class today which clashed with the delta class at the same ground only to over hear a delta trainer say when asked by one of their students what we were doing and her comment was "they have nothing to with us, they are doing it wrong, they are using check chains which hurt the dogs"

I really enjoy an obedient dog and always teach "quiet", "leave it" and several other general commands that people don't seem to teach much anymore. I believe a better result is obtained and less time spent on general behaviour than individual situations. A dog corrected of door bell behaviour doesn't help fence barking annoying the neighbours.

I teach "enough" and "leave", so it is still being taught and perhaps more than you might assume. It's just that for the "hard-wired" barking at the door dogs, sometimes teaching "quiet" isn't enough or successful.

It depends how you teach the "quiet" command but firstly it's made easier once the dog can be re-called away from major distraction. Without achieving distraction re-call, it lessens the opportunity for success with door bell behaviour.

let's not forget the ever faithful 'oi' command which has multiple wonderful uses

- dont touch that

- get away from that

- dont eye each other off

- get off the couch/clean washing

- dont you dare walk through that door

- try it again and it wont be worth your while

:thumbsup:

I teach STFU...

That's old school. :thumbsup:

I'm bringing it back!! :birthday::)

:o STFU Dog Training Services. "We can train any dog, to complete any task, no questions asked"

let's not forget the ever faithful 'oi' command which has multiple wonderful uses

- dont touch that

- get away from that

:)

I am a fan of the "oi" command, it varies in pitch and length depending on what the dog is doing. :)

It depends how you teach the "quiet" command but firstly it's made easier once the dog can be re-called away from major distraction. Without achieving distraction re-call, it lessens the opportunity for success with door bell behaviour.

I tend to agree, BB. But do you not think that you are saying similar to what is occurring for the "go to mat" exercise? Remember - I said similar, but not same.

I used my boy's (very good) recall to bring him away from what he was barking at and it was just a natural next step for me to add "enough" "good boy" and then we'd head inside where he'd get a food treat reward. (Or, depending on what I was doing and where we were, how keen his recall was (it's always keen, but some are frightening knee cap breakers!!) we'd go into a game of tug.

Similarities are that in the "go to mat" exercise, the dog is distracted from the door by the fact that his conditioned response demands him to do something (active). That has a bearing on him not thinking so much about barking and more about "doing". Whether a person would add quiet as a word association to the end of the mat exercise is something else, but I can see the similarities in what you are suggesting with the "go to mat" exercise.

Oh, and JulesP, Nekhbet, Jeff and HR .................................

OI !!!! .... quit interrupting !!

Edited by Erny

- dont touch that

- get away from that

If you are a REALLY talented trainer you can use commands together e.g. Oi STFU! Of course if you want to compete you need to leave a space between the Oi and the STFU.

If you are a REALLY talented trainer you can use commands together e.g. Oi STFU! Of course if you want to compete you need to leave a space between the Oi and the STFU.

But that would be double commanding and wouldn't you lose points or get a NQ for that? So it would really need to be OiSTFU!

I like the "excuuuuuuusse me" command. But while we are at it any one use the 'naughty step'?

:thumbsup: ......... I use that too. Funny, I never taught it, but it worked first time off the bat.

Even I say "oi".... It used to have a very specific meaning to my hare: "you stop chewing on that or I will come over there". Of course, some days he wanted me to come over there and chase him away, so he'd deliberately pretend to chew on forbidden items. Funny, it was the only time he ever pretended to chew on something. If I wasn't paying enough attention he'd pick the item up in his mouth and do a really exaggerrated chew. NOMNOMNOM, I'm eating your sock/bag/shirt/power cords! What are you gonna do!

*does the Cesar poke and SHHH on Erny*

:laugh:Erny rolls herself to the ground on her side. :thumbsup:

Brrrbrrr .... brrrbrrrr ..... "Hello? RSPCA? ....... "

Erny does a Muttley snigger as they come (with their TV crew at their heels) to take Nekhbet away ......

Edited by Erny

OMG TV crew ... that would be the most bogan moment ever LOL

*Bloudgeoned into using gentle leader and a clicker*

although says the woman who currently has a cloicker in the shape of a frog OMG it's awesome

OMG TV crew ... that would be the most bogan moment ever LOL

*Bloudgeoned into using gentle leader and a clicker*

although says the woman who currently has a cloicker in the shape of a frog OMG it's awesome

You never said you had a CLOICKER!!! Erny abides because Nekhbet clicks her (no less) 'frog' clicker ....... :thumbsup:.

RSPCA goes away because Erny has water ......................... and is "clicked"

PS Wonder if we have matching frog clickers. Mine's metal.

ETA: Huski ..... bought mine at some seminar years ago. Can't remember which one.

Edited by Erny

We had an obedience class today which clashed with the delta class at the same ground only to over hear a delta trainer say when asked by one of their students what we were doing and her comment was "they have nothing to with us, they are doing it wrong, they are using check chains which hurt the dogs"

I didn't hear any yelping....did I miss the mass torture session?