Goldies Behaviour When Husband Comes Home?

Snowball

Our goldie (7 months) eagerly waits for my husband to come home at night. When he finally comes home she races out to the garage to greet him and will then gently grab his hand in her mouth and trot along beside him, tail wagging all excited. She doesnt bite or nip, just sort of holds hands with him with her mouth. If he pulls his hand away, she just waits until he puts his hands by his side again, and will "hold" his hand again and trots along beside him as he walks to the house and around the house getting changed etc. She wags her tail and trots eagerly beside him, with his hand gently in her mouth.

We are trying to stop it, but were wondering if anyone can tell me what in doggy language does this mean? Is she exerting her dominance? Is it a puppy behaviour she would do with fellow puppies, or mum because she is excited to see him? Good / bad or just a phase?

It is cute, but we are aware she cant really keep on doing it.

Thanks in advance

Snowball

She's a retriever and she's bringing him home.

I actually don't see a problem.

One of my greyhounds used to do it when he first arrived. Hold my hand while we walked around the back yard. He also used to smile, both habits stopped as he settled in, I miss them.

Goldies just love to have things in their mouth, particular if they smell of their humans. If hubbie keeps a ball or toy in the car that he puts his scent on, he can give that to her in exchange for his hand. I predict that she will happily trot beside him holding the toy instead of his hand. She can carry it out in the morning while he puts it in the car, so it is ready for when he comes home.

aawwwwww..my Kieran used to do that ...from the gate to the back door :) That post made me miss him again .....

we are aware she cant really keep on doing it.

Why? If she is soft-mouthed, and only does this at these times, I see no reason to stop it . My gorgeous boy did it for all his 7 years ..... he did occasionally take someone's hand when walking down the street ,tho :laugh: and it caused a bit of consternation, as he was 45kg and a brindle deerhoundXdane ... He made several new friends that way :)

Edited by persephone

Stevie does this, and is very very gentle. The problem is that it can scare children (or their mums mostly, the kids are often ok), and elderly people with tissue-paper skin can get damaged by accident. We redirect her to her 'bear' - whatever soft toy is closest - so she whacks people with her tail trying to get them to admire her bear, rather than mouthing them.

I wish we'd worked harder on this when she was a pup because although she's so gentle, all people are 'her' people, but the ones she loves most, she mouths most, and that especially includes some elderly members of the family.

that is cute :laugh:

We discourage mouthing even gentle mouthing as described above simply because if they did it to a stranger or a small child everyone would scream dog bite... I might be a little cautious but i dont think its a good trait for a dog to have - i like the toy idea though :)

Yes, I guess in this day & age, carrying a toy is safer :/

Yes. How sad society has become so fanatical that we have to put a stop to such special interaction and while were at it we must remember that we can't sing "ba ba black sheep" anymore.

Thanks for your replies.

It it beautiful. She is sooo happy when she does it. :laugh: I guess we are worried in case she gets into the habit and does it with a small child or as mentioned an old person, or just scares someone. The idea to give her a toy with my husbands scent on it was a great one, will do that. She is a bundle of gorgeous mischief and it is sweet to watch.

thanks

Snowball

Our old Staffy used to do something similar!!! :laugh::)

She would wait for me to come home from school, when she heard me at the gate she would be really excited :) Once I got inside the gate she would get the end of my shirt (it was long/past the knees/school shirt) and walk me inside.. If I pulled it out of her mouth she would just put it back in there and lead me inside the house. Usually she would lead me into the room Nanna was in and look really happy with herself :dancingelephant: She would then follow me into my room and wait while I got dressed etc

I always thought it was a loving gesture :dancingelephant:

She sounds like a real sweetie :laugh: wish I had room for a goldie.

I'd be using the suggestion above of getting her to carry objects for you. Great fun for the dog and very rewarding to teach your dog something useful. Do you do any formal obedience with her? Just think what she could do :)

...we must remember that we can't sing "ba ba black sheep" anymore.

:) Are you kidding? Is that the latest "ban" ??? :)

So ..... "Baa Baa visual-impression-experienced-when-no-visible-light-reaches-the-eye sheep, have you any wool? ...... ".

Edited by Erny

I used to have a male Rottie that would lead you around the yard "holding" your hand... it freaked my dad out once when he was visiting... and Rastus used to talk to you as well, which dad thought was growling. Once dad realised that the dog was actually being gentle and affectionate with him, they were fine... *grin*

T.

:) Are you kidding? Is that the latest "ban" ??? :laugh:

So ..... "Baa Baa visual-impression-experienced-when-no-visible-light-reaches-the-eye sheep, have you any wool? ...... ".

It's actually baa baa rainbow sheep now.

Edited by Crazy Daisy

Just another urban myth trotted out by those who constantly decry political correctness ...

Just another urban myth trotted out by those who constantly decry political correctness ...

It's not an urban myth ;) I have three kids and this is what they started singing at daycare. I was singing baa baa black sheep and my son said they don't sing it that way it's baa baa rainbow sheep. Who knows if they are being politically correct or they just like to sing it differently. :D To us it's still just a song.