Bear Keeps Jumping Out

rexiam

I need some advice please :)

We got Bear at 18 months. He was an entire Golden Retriever. All I know from his past is that he was from a home that the owner had toy poodles in the house that we hers and the OH had a cattle dog that helped him with the cattle. From what she said Bear was just left to his own devices and was bored. He would wander through the cattle and upset the pregnant heifers. He would also wander to the neighbouring farms. The ladíes OH had enough and wanted him gone. She had said that the only reason she thought he was wandering was boredom.

So he has come to us and just fitted in. He is a sook of a dog and loves our 2 children. He has no aggression and has just been great. Could not fault him. We love the big Bear.

We also have Ned the Cocker whom Bear just loves. They get on great, no problems there.

On quite a few occasions since Christmas if I go to our aunt's house - she lives behind and we have access to it by a farm gate. He will sit and cry and cry at the gate for me. He then worked out a few ways to get through the farm fencing that we have, to come to her house. OH has blocked that up and all has been ok.

2 and a half weeks ago he was desexed. No problems all ok.

Thursday night I went away at 4:30 pm and returned at 11:30 next morning. First time away since we have had him.

I got a call from our cousin at 11am to say that Bear had been over there place at 1:30 am , 2:30 am , 3:30am, 5:30 am.. and when we returned he had gotten over.

Now our back yard is on 1/4 acre, so we have it split into 2. He has to get through the first lot of fence/gate, then the next set to get to there property. They have 2 dogs , both desexed, 1 female and 1 male whom he loves to play with.

So I have returned home yesterday at 11:30 he has a scratch on his head and one on his cheek. The kids were checking on him and Miss 9 through the ball ( which he loves ) over the house than we ran into the house to see what he would do . Well he climbed the gate like a cat :) Got the ball and sat at the gate til someone let him in with it :laugh:

So we now know how he gets out of top half of yard. Bottom part is all blocked up so we assume he is climbing the farm gate.

Since leaving him Thursday we can see where he has been pacing at the gate back and forth. He wore a track ;) He also seems to have lost weight. Yesterday afternoon he was like another dog. Just not focused on anything but getting out.

OH returned home last night and we were outside with him talking. All of a sudden we heard a dog barking in yapping in the distance, over past the aunt's house. Next thing Bear is running down to the back fence pacing and clearly agitated.

This morning Master 6 went down to let the chooks out and sure enough left the gate open :D Bear was straight across next door. Not sure how he got out again. He has come home limping - cousin bought him back :D

So I am confused...Is he wanting to live next door with the big dogs or could it be that there is a dog in season?

Hoping someonoe has some ideas I am frustrated and stressed!! :)

Now our back yard is on 1/4 acre, so we have it split into 2. He has to get through the first lot of fence/gate, then the next set to get to there property. They have 2 dogs , both desexed, 1 female and 1 male whom he loves to play with.

Far from an expert, Rexiam, but I think you've probably hit the nail on the head with this.

Also, for the first time in his life, he is getting attention and play time. The moment you aren't there he goes looking for you in a place he knows you visit and where he has some friends.

And if he can't get to them, he watches the last place he saw you: driving away.

It is a worry and scary when they keep escaping and also getting hurt in the process.

I think Mother Moocher is right Rexiam! Our ShepherdX Dane Remy also tries to escape at every opportunity. Remy also suffers from separation anxiety but turns into a different dog when he gets out. Even though we have all these other dogs here he carries on if you go out for an hour or two as if you'd been away for weeks. Remy can jump over a six foot fence but we cured that by putting electric fencing around the back yard here and he only did it about 3 times after that. We never turn it on any more. The only thing I can suggest is making an addition to the top of the farm gate and angling it inwards so that he can't get over. It's a real worry when it happens. We have heard shotguns while Remy was away.

Thanks for the replies :)

I am a nervous wreck since yesterday. I keep checking to see if he is here. Its so frustrating .

BigDog I have to get OH to do something with the gate as now I know he is a climber we will have to do everything to keep him home!

Poor little Ned looks so sad and lonely when his bigbrother has gone AWOL.

I think that he was doing lots more wandering then the previous owner let on. :)

I have had an escape artist in the past and I keep think NOOOOOOO it can't be again! He has been so good for so long!

I have had an escape artist in the past and I keep think NOOOOOOO it can't be again! He has been so good for so long!

Part of it could be that he is feeling happy and comfortable and is happy to check out different places.

My foster dog, Caramel was a serial escape artist, but once out he would just wander around the neighbourhood (luckily I live in a very quiet neighbourhood on a circular street :) ) having a wonderful sniff while I would be running in and out of yards looking for him almost having a coronary. When found (he was never far away), he would wait for me and I would just walk up to him and put a lead on and he was as happy as larry.

ETA: I can empathise with your being a nervous wreck. I would be a sick panic everytime I pulled into the driveway after being out.

Edited by Mother Moocher

rex have you thought of a containment system???

Run the barrier wire around the perimeter of the yard you want him in, he wears the collar, when he gets close to wire the collar beeps, if he continues he gets a small shock.

Other then that there is electric fences, changes to the fencing...

Is he also a digger???

Do you give him kongs or rewards balls when you are away to keep his mind active and not thinking about you leaving???

edit to add: does he ignore ned when he has these episodes???

Edited by Casster17

Part of it could be that he is feeling happy and comfortable and is happy to check out different places.

My foster dog, Caramel was a serial escape artist, but once out he would just wander around the neighbourhood (luckily I live in a very quiet neighbourhood on a circular street :) ) having a wonderful sniff while I would be running in and out of yards looking for him almost having a coronary. When found (he was never far away), he would wait for me and I would just walk up to him and put a lead on and he was as happy as larry.

ETA: I can empathise with your being a nervous wreck. I would be a sick panic everytime I pulled into the driveway after being out.

I agree that he is more relaxed with us and so is probably happy to trot off to experience the world now.

Aunt and Uncle do not have a gate on the front of the property. They have a long driveway and then a gate to the house yard which they never close. So if he wanders all the way down there its a major road - lots of trucks :)

Until we work out how we are going to tackle the situation I will be worried. :(

rex have you thought of a containment system???

Run the barrier wire around the perimeter of the yard you want him in, he wears the collar, when he gets close to wire the collar beeps, if he continues he gets a small shock.

Other then that there is electric fences, changes to the fencing...

Is he also a digger???

Do you give him kongs or rewards balls when you are away to keep his mind active and not thinking about you leaving???

edit to add: does he ignore ned when he has these episodes???

As he has just started taking off for other dog company its a bit of a shock :)

Containment system sounds good.

We have never worried about Kongs as he has always been happy when we leave. Most times when we leave him he runs off with Ned run to play.

He ignores Ned when the episodes are happening.

Dogs down the back were just barking. OH and I watched from house as he ran to gate, got very agitated. Ignored ned next to him, then ran to small gate ,climbed the gate and then raced down to the other back gate.

I called him before he could get over that fence. He ignored OH when he called but came for me.

OH has just tied him up for a little while.

Well.. Im glad to see all dogs are healthy Rex...my thoughts would be to put a new style of gate that has no footholds for him to climb. Same with any other section of fence or whatever he is climbing..something smooth. Hes not actually jumping anything is he? He is acting driven isnt he..Have to think of something to disrtract him..mightbe deliciious Kongs..you might have to break out the big Kongs when you go out.

Edited by Liebhunde

Our neighbor had the same problem with a gsd cross labby, Sam would climb out over the fence and didn't matter how high the fence was. So Sam spent a couple of months at our place, our dog run is electrified chicken wire, so Sam climbed out over the gate, I then put elect wire above the gate and Sam never got out after that. When Sam went home he again started climbing the fence. Electric fence was the only thing that would keep Sam in.

As for using a kong, I wouldn't use one unsupervised as one of our rescue dogs got one stuck in her jaw and according to the vet he has seen this happen quite a few times.

I would build an enclosed run and leave him in it whilst you are out and asleep. I'm thinking that he has now discovered the wonderful world of company and now wants it all the time, he may settle as days go on and realises that he is there to stay and also when the desexing kicks in.

Rexiam i have a big :thumbsup: on my face, thinking of you having a wonderful dog to share your life with after all your sadness.

Well I have an update thats so far so good :laugh:

I had a friend and fellow DOLer Barkon over on the weekend and I showed her where Bear keeps jumping out. Its at the litte gate next to the tree. Barkon thought that he needed the tree to help give him leveridge against the tree. Well, think she is right :laugh:

I have colourbond there now and he has not gone over once :(

Have also been doing lots of training. Going over the fence to the aunt's house, then tearing around the shed to hide in the bushes at the other end of our block ( Bear hasn't spotted me yet )

First couple of times he was very distraught...but last time I did it he has gone back to the house not worried :rofl:

So hopefully our situation has been fixed :rofl:

Thanks so much to those that have replied to this :o

Glad the immediate situation is resolved.

You may want to rethink leaving him home alone all night if you have to go away though. That seems to have been the trigger event for all this. From your description of the track he wore, he seems to have managed to work himself up during that time.

Glad the immediate situation is resolved.

You may want to rethink leaving him home alone all night if you have to go away though. That seems to have been the trigger event for all this. From your description of the track he wore, he seems to have managed to work himself up during that time.

Totally agree. It seems he was very anxious while you were away :(