Who Can Give Vaccinations

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

But recently a pet shop/grooming salon in town advertised that all puppies would be vaccinated at discount rates.

I always thought that a vet should be the only person able to give a dog and especially a puppy a vaccination!

Who can actually give a vaccination? Is it safe for a pet shop to be doing this? What about a full health check before the vaccination or doesn't that matter anymore.

Certainly in the ACT legislation only allows a vet to give vaccinations.

Are you sure they didn't mean that they give you a voucher for discounted vaccinations at a vet of their choice?

Certainly in the ACT legislation only allows a vet to give vaccinations.

Are you sure they didn't mean that they give you a voucher for discounted vaccinations at a vet of their choice?

Maybe they did mean a voucher, I don't know. I was just so shocked to read their advertisements.....

In NSW, I am almost 100% positive that Vet Nurses, and others such as pound staff, (from Cert iv upwards or thereabouts) can also vaccinate. It also depends on if the vaccine is live or killed.

Edited by ~Anne~

Not entirely sure regarding who can actually stick the needle into the dog and inject the vaccine, possibly this is something anybody can do, however, only those signed off by a registered vet are acknowledged.

Any body can vaccinate their dog. You can buy killed vaccine and administer it to your dog yourself.

Any body can vaccinate their own dog in some states of Australia but in some states only vets can.If this is being advertised at a guess Id say its a vet that's actually doing the vaccinating.

As far as I'm aware you cant vaccinate anyone else's dog unless you have the qualifications relevant to state laws anywhere in Australia

I run a boarding kennel. I will never allow DIY vaccinations. Whatever the requirements are, safety demands that the person administering vaccinations has official validation, reinforced by some sorts of police powers. At present, that means I want to see a vet's signature on the vaccination card. I couldn't care less if the vet nurse does the jab. It must be overseen and signed off on by a vet.

Edited by sandgrubber

Actually, just had a look at the legislation in the ACT

19 Medical and surgical procedures—people other than

veterinary surgeons

(1) A person who is not a veterinary surgeon commits an offence if the

person carries out a medical or surgical procedure on an animal.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units, imprisonment for 1 year or

both.

(2) This section does not apply to—

(a) a medical procedure of a prophylactic nature carried out on the

animal in accordance with directions given by a veterinary

surgeon; or

(b) a medical or surgical procedure carried out in accordance with

accepted animal husbandry practice in relation to—

(i) farming and grazing activities; or

(ii) the management of a zoo; or

(iii) the management of native animals; or

© a medical or surgical procedure carried out in accordance with

a licence or authorisation, subject to any written direction of an

animal ethics committee; or

(d) the removal of a dog’s dewclaws not later than 4 days after the

day the dog was born.

(3) In this section:

accepted animal husbandry practice does not include a practice

prescribed by regulation for this section.

The dictionary in that act doesn't define a medical or surgical procedure, so I'm not sure if a vaccination is? I would presume that it is a medical procedure. I would presume that if you were vaccinating your own animal, you are doing it to save money, therefore not under the direction of a vet.

ETA - Animal Welfare Act 1992

Edited by j

They are definitely not vets! And if they have a vet nurse they are not promoting or advertising that in any way.

I will do some more research and let you all know.

With the health risk that can occur from vaccines in some dogs - I am :( that anyone who isn't a practicing licenced vet can give vaccines. I will never take that risk with my dogs.

They are definitely not vets! And if they have a vet nurse they are not promoting or advertising that in any way.

I will do some more research and let you all know.

With the health risk that can occur from vaccines in some dogs - I am :cry: that anyone who isn't a practicing licenced vet can give vaccines. I will never take that risk with my dogs.

AngelSoul, I would vaccinate my own dogs with killed vaccine. Remember their are two types of vaccine live and killed. It can be terribly difficult to obtain live vaccine. .......unles a vet purchases it for you.

I would have no hesitation in purchasing killed vaccine.

If dog or cats have had their first vaccines from a vet their should be no problems in using killed.

Pets @ Home and some Petstock places have Vet Clinics within the shop....that doesn't sound like your case though?

Maybe they are using a travelling Vet to come once a fortnight or once a month to administer them? There are a few Vets like that here in Melbourne.