Group Family Shots

becandcharch

A good friend of mine has asked me to take some photos of her family.

There are going to be 6 adults and 5 kids :laugh:

I dont like 'posed' looking shots so any idea/suggestions as to how to set this up?

One idea I had was to take some shots of them at lunch (shot on a big table) with everyone chatting and laughing etc.

I obviously wont be able to get them all in the shot but thought this might be nice and then I can do some group photos.

Tips from the experts pleeeease!! :laugh:

I dont like 'posed' looking shots so any idea/suggestions as to how to set this up?

I guess you need to find out what "they" want as a group photo.

I took pics at SIL 40th a couple of months ago, and although I took lots of natural pics, she wanted lots of posed ones with her friends. And then a big family posed one.

So I would suggest you do both :laugh:

No expert here- but You may get some hints from HERE :laugh:

and I agree with asking what the family wants!!

:laugh: On the weekend , I snapped what I (and most folks I showed) thought was a gorgeous, relaxed gentle pic of a grandma with 6 M O baby on her lap .. showed them both looking lovely .

:laugh: Mum of baby did not like it- "I never take a photo of my baby with a bib or a dummy!! "

I also took a fun pic of a two year old all smiles and reaching toward me to show me something .. made everyone in the room smile . Not parent - cos pic wasn't 'posed'

Lucky the pics were mainly for my smile collection :eek:

yes, so please ASK .

have fun :laugh:

Edited by persephone

Thanks ladies,

They just want a relaxed style. We will be near a park if that helps.

I have taken candid shots of their bubbas before that they showed their family members. They liked them so asked if I would do some with all of them.

Its the fact that there will be 11 of them that i'm looking for some ideas. Harder to do 'candids' of that many people rather than the usual 2 year old or dog that i'm used too.

Relaxed doesn't mean that it can't be posed. It just means that you don't have everyone standing around looking very sitff.

I would definitely be asking them what they want and even see if they can point out an example of what they're after. What you think is relaxed and what they think is relaxed could be vastly different.

would also be making sure they coordinate their clothing, and dress appropriately for a portrait - no glaring logos on shirts or tops, avoid stripes, and not in WHITE - it just looks boring. Suggesting they stick to the same colour families or harmonising colours - eg say everyone wears blue jeans, and then neutrals for shirts like blues, browns - also get them to avoid red, as it is such a prominent colour, if only one person is wearing that, your eye will be drawn to them. Also watch hands and legs, esp womans - if they are sitting down if they are pressing their legs hard into the chair, it makes the thigh look fatter, and noone wants that, just get them to lift up the leg and lightly rest them of the chair or seat. Watch double chins too- lifting the chin up slightly will help with this, and if you can get slightly above, so they are looking up at you (I take a small step ladder for this), then that can give a flattering look. A good idea for some casual shots - no ideas of the ages you have, but say a game of chasey, or a bubble machine. Another cool look (esp if there are kids involved, but you will need a tripod) - get the adults to stand still, and the kids to run around them, in a circle, use a slower shutter speed, so you get the blur of the the kids around the adults. In groupings, remember that a triangle looks pleasing to the eye, so do not line them up in a straight line like a police lineup, but group them in a pyramid type arangement. In a group that big, I would probably also be going as small as F8, so make sure you watch the shutter speed does not get too low. Good luck!!!!

Well Bec, I think you need to consider composition, poses, hair and styling.

Luckily I've found the best website for you to use as reference and learn how to shoot a memorable family photo... like these pieces of gold!

The family that perms together stays together!

Kent.jpg

Family pets are always important in the photo

Courtney-706x1024.jpg

Or capturing shared family interests

daniel-ninja_2-738x1024.jpg

Geez!! Im going to have nightmares! :laugh:

Ash watch your back - These photographers seem like real up and comers :laugh:

Either that or they will get their clients to karate chop me out of the way.

I'd be watching out for that first lot and their cans of hairspray too :rofl: