Pack Leader

Gilypoo

PoodleFan you don't actually eat any of it! You just lift the plate/bowl to your face and make noises and gestures like you are eating (actually it is called gesture eating, not token eating). The other thing is you give them half the amount and then top up their bowls while they are eating. We can now feed all 3 in a row with no problems and the husky, who has always been a slow eater, eats at a normal pace because I guess some anxiety around eating is removed. It is like they all feel safer because we are being true alphas and they are obedient to their own capacities and to an acceptable level for our pack.

I never expected the changes to be so sudden and easy but was at wits end (having tried several other pieces of advice from behaviouralists about ostracising the naughty dog). This worked for food, contact and toy aggression between our 3 fur babies and it was so simple to implement and stick with. I would use this approach again in a flash but appreciate it wont work for all dogs or owners - I don't think any one thing will - trial and error is what we went through as well.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And sorry, but no amount of "bonding" would induce me to eat some of my dog's meals before handing them over :p

I love them both dearly but the dogs can have there smelly food..Raw mince / chicken necks and eggs (not to mention other thing) dont really appeal to me... :D

It was the raw offal I was thinking of. :cheer:

YUMMY :rofl:

I am, on the other hand, particularly careful to sample my Macca's chips (not that I've had any lately) before the dogs get some. :cheer:

Two identical gendered dogs, no matter what the age, is a potential disaster.

Say what?!

I am certainly no expert on dog behaviour, but I know from experience that fighting between dogs is not related to gender.

Say what?!

I am certainly no expert on dog behaviour, but I know from experience that fighting between dogs is not related to gender.

It can be Anne. The closer two dogs are in size, age and gender, the more likely they are to have conflict over social status. Littermates can be worst of all.

And they don't call female dogs bitches for nothing. Ask breeders about bitch on bitch aggression :D

Edited by poodlefan

Say what?!

It can be Anne. The closer two dogs are in size, age and gender, the more likely they are to have conflict over social status. Littermates can be worst of all.

And they don't call female dogs bitches for nothing. Ask breeders about bitch on bitch aggression :D

Yes, I know it can be, but it can be many other things also and just as your comment states - size and age also bear relevance. Saying that it is gender related is like saying that all dogs that fight are dominant.

I guess my original statement should have read :fighting between dogs is not neccessarily related to gender

I think I need to put up my prices.

and join the ranks of those with dubious qualification that charge $300 an hour :D

I have a degree in Amish Bounding from the University of Dubiosity :p

and join the ranks of those with dubious qualification that charge $300 an hour :D

Sorry Aidan but you need TV show to charge the big bucks. :cheer:

Sorry Aidan but you need TV show to charge the big bucks. :cheer:

My life is a soap-opera at the moment *rubs greedy hands together with delight*

Hey you two! I have spent a lot less on vet fees patching up after scraps since paying for my amichien bonding lady! And even my vet has been impressed with the changes in the dogs and asked me for her details. She actually works every day at the Animal Welfare League. She was the right person for us.....

Hey you two! I have spent a lot less on vet fees patching up after scraps since paying for my amichien bonding lady! And even my vet has been impressed with the changes in the dogs and asked me for her details. She actually works every day at the Animal Welfare League. She was the right person for us.....

And that's what matters!

I think a program that brings structure, boundaries and leadership to dogs in a non confrontational way is a good thing. I just don't agree with some of the philosophies behind it.

There are many ways to train a dog but I find AB (and I don't pretend to be widely read on it) talks the language of dominance too much for my taste. "Me Alpha, you dog" programs are a bit simplistic for how I view the human/dog relationship.

I was told by an AB fan that the reason my poodles love to sit on the back of the lounge was because they strive to be higher than me. Strangely, when I'm not home there they still are - looking out the window. :p Its the only view they can access of the front of the house.

A friend who drove past the other day informed me that a very precariously balanced Whippet was up there too. :D

Edited by poodlefan

If you had someone qualified in Amish Bounding from the University of Dubiosity your dogs might be doing your ironing and mowing the lawns by now, just saying... :D

Say what?!

I disagree with you, male dogs will fight to hurt one another but bitches will fight to the death.

Remember these dogs are only 13 months old. I also see they have not had their boundries set properly and the GSD has posession problems that have not been totally rectified. Personally 2 dogs exactly the same age and evenly matched sexually is going to make things harder. Not impossible. I would have left one entire but oh well

Start with someone who has dealt with this type of problem before and can read dog body language properly to tell you who is doing what. Mealtimes either supervise totally or separate while working on the problem. It cannot just be a food issue I am tipping there are other things going on as well as part of a bigger picture

Remember these dogs are only 13 months old. I also see they have not had their boundries set properly and the GSD has posession problems that have not been totally rectified. Personally 2 dogs exactly the same age and evenly matched sexually is going to make things harder. Not impossible. I would have left one entire but oh well

Start with someone who has dealt with this type of problem before and can read dog body language properly to tell you who is doing what. Mealtimes either supervise totally or separate while working on the problem. It cannot just be a food issue I am tipping there are other things going on as well as part of a bigger picture

Hindsight is a bitch of a thing, but unfortunatley leaving them entire was not possible for us.. We are on an acre of property with only ringlock fences and 4 entire male dogs in our street alone... I think we could of been in a worse situation if we left one of them entire...

Say what?!

I disagree with you, male dogs will fight to hurt one another but bitches will fight to the death.

:thumbsup:

Really? Would it matter which was desexed? ie if one appeared more dominant than the other?

And that's what matters!

I think a program that brings structure, boundaries and leadership to dogs in a non confrontational way is a good thing. I just don't agree with some of the philosophies behind it.

There are many ways to train a dog but I find AB (and I don't pretend to be widely read on it) talks the language of dominance too much for my taste. "Me Alpha, you dog" programs are a bit simplistic for how I view the human/dog relationship.

I was told by an AB fan that the reason my poodles love to sit on the back of the lounge was because they strive to be higher than me. Strangely, when I'm not home there they still are - looking out the window. :) Its the only view they can access of the front of the house.

A friend who drove past the other day informed me that a very precariously balanced Whippet was up there too. :(

:thumbsup: :D :rofl: Visions of faces at the window ;)

And sorry, but no amount of "bonding" would induce me to eat some of my dog's meals before handing them over :thumbsup: :D

You don't understand Jan Fennel methods :rofl: It's not actually eating any of the dogs food....pretend...