Spin-off From Pack Leader Thread

Henrietta

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I initially separated my 2 boxers because my older female is a hoover and she would eat the younger males food. Once he got to about the 9 month mark I started to feed them together, I didn't make a fuss about it but I did make sure he got enough. Never had a problem with food and resource guarding. They will even eat out of the same bowl. Bones, chicken frames etc took a bit more work. My female clearly has a higher value for these things and he thinks its all a big game. It has taken about 3 months to get her not to guard them ( never fighting, just rushing and telling him whose bone it is). I started out completely supervising and not allowing her to rush and him not to play ( hours outside with a book!). It didnt matter if I gave them 6 bones early on, she would have them all! I slowly reduced the amount of time I stayed and now can comfortably just leave the bones or what ever for them, they pick them up and stay about 2 metres from each other. its been great for training, particularly my young looney. I wont give them bones if we have visitors or kids around. Although I am confident and can remove anything from the dogs I just wont take that risk, not fair to people or the dogs.

Edited by Miz J

Around here a lot depends on the breed and the living conditions. The working Maremmas in the paddock get fed in two spots 50 metres away from each other or one will eat or guard it all and the other

has to wait for a chance to sneak in to steal some to eat. The Maremmas in the house yard the beagles and the Corgis all eat together.

I feed seperately so no-one inhales their food as a bloat preventative as the young male tends to do that.

Me too - 2 of my 3 labs are very quick eaters at the best of times and if I feed them altogether they redouble their efforts :laugh: with my pup being the fastest and greediest of them all :laugh: I like them to be able to eat in peace on their own and hopefully at a slower pace. I can and have at times fed them all together, but the need for speed by 2 of them takes over :D , so I only ever do it very occasionally. I can give them treats together and they will happily sit side by side "eargerly" waiting their turn :eek:.

Bones are ALWAYS fed separately to the 2 that are allowed bones (oldest boy isn't allowed bones due to gastropexy from bloat before I adopted him) so they get to enjoy them and hopefully take their time, although in the case of pup I think he only knows one speed when it comes to eating :thumbsup: and seems intent on breaking any record out there for being the fastest dog to eat his food, including bones - he's a shocker and has already had a trip to the emergency animal hospital due to his greediness with a bone :( and I have to keep a very close eye on him when I do give him bones.

I have three dogs that eat together, I am usually there. My Newfs are slow eaters and I have to watch our Golden cross does not try to eat our pups food. Both newfs would share their food with the other dog if I allowed it. She is a bit of a pig. Bones are eaten together too. I just give them to each dog and they often lie quite close to one another. We have always fed our dogs together for the past thirty or so years. Treats are given very close together, it is part of our training to sit nicely and wait in turn for the treats.