What Qualities Make A Great Dog Trainer

Is there anyway we could maybe list what makes a great trainer and leave out the issue of all positive versus "balanced" training? Or is positive versus "balanced" a major part of what makes a good trainer?

It would be interesting what the results would be and I think it would be great if people who aren't trainers get involved too and ask yourself what qualities you would look for in a trainer, so we get the professional side and consumer side as well. :laugh:

Edited by animalia

as a consumer

i want:

- a trainer that has tenacity in case the problem is a difficult one....i need them not to give up on me or my dog

- enough tools in their toolbox to help me no matter what the situation

- an open mind that allows them to try their tried and true methods but if they dont work then they can use other methods.

- the humility to say they cant help but to refer me onto someone who can

in actual fact i expect them to work the same way i do.

A trainer of dogs, or a trainer of people with dogs?

If we're talking dogs: really good observational skills, timing, patience, emotional self-management, open-mindedness. It's something about being prepared to deal with the dog in front of you without taking refuge in self-delusion of one sort or another.

If we're talking people: patience, people skills, the ability to "let it go" when you want to strangle someone but it isn't in the dog's best interests to do so.

Good point SSM- some people are great dog trainers, but not people trainers and some people are the reverse. To get both in the one package is not terribly common- most trainers have to work hard at one or the other.

Great trainers are flexible, calm and patient. Great trainers know when to push and when not to- for BOTH human and dog. Great trainers know what they don't know and seek new knowledge from others- even if they don't agree with everything they are told.

And one pretty important thing to keep in mind- great trainers take the good, relevant things from old methods and leave the bad. Great trainers take the good, relevant things from modern methods and leave the bad. Great trainers don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and i have never met a great trainer who is an extremist in any direction. :)

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a trainer. If I were after a mentor I'd be looking for someone with good animal instincts. I used to love watching Kelly Marks train horses on tv. She would talk a lot about rewarding and desensitising and taking things gently so as not to frighten the horses, but she knew instinctively when a horse just needed a shove or something. She wouldn't teach it, because I don't think you can. How do you teach when you know an animal you have been training very gently needs a firm hand? Ah, Barking Mad, you gave me so many hours of watching talented trainers.

Some one who listens to my goals & helps me work towards them.

Some one my dog likes and is comfortable being around.

Some one who has a good understanding of how my dog thinks, can read her body language well, and who isn't scared of working dogs running at them clicking their teeth ("no, those are happy teeth. We can show you naughty teeth if you like!"). :laugh:

Some one who actually does get results, quickly and effectively. But who also understands that retaining my dog's enthusiasm for training, and preserving the trust in our relationship, is just as important as getting results.

Some one who is able to suggest the best methods available for me and for my particular dog - who has lots of ways of looking at behaviour problems, and lots of different motivators and tools in the toolbox.

Like Cosmolo, I have met few good trainers who are extremists. I've met several crappy trainers who only had one way of looking at things - who believed that all bad behaviour was caused by dogs wanting to take over the pack, or thought that all dogs should wear check chains, or thought that all dogs should work for food, or that all aggression was just a sign of fear, etc. But all the good trainers I've met have known how to use many tools, and many motivators. Dogs are individuals, and canine behaviour is subtle and complex. I don't think anyone looking at it from one perspective alone one can be a good trainer.

Edited by Staranais

I'm reading your question to mean what makes someone good at training dogs, not at training people to train dogs.

IMO:

Patience

Sense of humour

Strong sense of self

Ability to read the dog's behaviour - are they coping with your chosen methods, have they understood what you are asking for.

Ability to stick to a chose set of criteria.

Ability to plan and look further ahead than today.

Patience

Sense of humour

Strong sense of self.

I should of been more specific. oops. :rofl:

I would define the dog trainer I am referring to as, one that can train the dog to high standard BUT is also able to effectively train the human owner as well.

So the list should have qualities for training dogs and qualities regarding working with the owners :)

Edited by animalia

I agree with everything Agility Dogs has said.

I think it's important for the trainer to be able to speak in common terms people can understand (I think that is my biggest weakness), but also to explain the reasons why such a technique works, rather than to just say "do it". To give an owner an idea of why dogs behave they do is half way to solving a problem and gives them more to work with when problems just pop up out of the blue between classes or consults.

I should of been more specific. oops. :confused:

I would define the dog trainer I am referring to as, one that can train the dog to high standard BUT is also able to effectively train the human owner as well.

So the list should have qualities for training dogs and qualities regarding working with the owners :cry:

OK, for training dogs you have what I wrote.

For training people.............

Patience

Sense of humour

Strong sense of self

Ability to read the dog's behaviour - are they coping with the owner's chosen methods, have they (the dog and the person)understood what you are asking for.

An understanding of learning theory at least at a practical level. Everyone learns differently - make sure that everyone is catered for.

Empathy - people need to konw that you are at least able to understand where they are coming from. If they can relate to you on this level then they are more likely to learn from you.

Ability to be flexible - not everyone wants to train a dog to a national standard today, but they may want to tomorrow once they 'get' it. :rofl: I think it is important to remember this. I know I'm lucky that people kept this in mind as I started out.

Ability to keep people focussed on the big picture or at least as close to it as their experience allows at that point in time.

Ability to make dog training fun for both the dog and the person - it is too easy to make it a chore by drilling both.

Perhaps most important of all we need to know and be able to admit when we are out of our depth and be honest with people about that. I know that I'm not able to help everyone who comes to agility with their dogs - I have to be big enough to be able to admit it and suggest alternatives to those people. (So far so good.)

Patience

Sense of humour

Strong sense of self.

Edited by Agility Dogs