Litters Due June 2010

With all due respect chocolate....Rajacadoo and I are friends away from DOL and I think she knows me well enough by now to realise that my comments are not made to worry or upset her. I also believe that she is sensible enough not to get into a flapping panic about a simple suggestion based upon information that she has posted here. She has been a party to all of my breedings for the past couple of years and knows only too well that it isn't in my nature to stress about something unneccessarily.

Given that Ochre has obviously been displaying nesting behaviour, even on a small scale and that there has been a marked temperature drop from the "normal range" of temperatures for a canine, I don't believe that my advice is out of order.

I will now however consider myself firmly slapped on the wrist and withdraw any offers of help previously made because the Lord knows I don't want to be accused of causing Rajacadoo and her family (or dogs) undue concern.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with chocolate...no need to worry.....

Maiden bitches can exhibit nesting, digging behaviour on and off for a week leading up to a "normal" whelping.

I hope Raja is not worrying needlessly now due to the ideas presented on this thread. She has an "easy" whelping natural breed.

Ellz I also dont think you need to withdraw offers of assistance to your friend. I hope you will still be available for support.

...and I look forward to hearing about all the new litters born in June.

With all due respect chocolate....Rajacadoo and I are friends away from DOL and I think she knows me well enough by now to realise that my comments are not made to worry or upset her. I also believe that she is sensible enough not to get into a flapping panic about a simple suggestion based upon information that she has posted here. She has been a party to all of my breedings for the past couple of years and knows only too well that it isn't in my nature to stress about something unneccessarily.

Given that Ochre has obviously been displaying nesting behaviour, even on a small scale and that there has been a marked temperature drop from the "normal range" of temperatures for a canine, I don't believe that my advice is out of order.

I will now however consider myself firmly slapped on the wrist and withdraw any offers of help previously made because the Lord knows I don't want to be accused of causing Rajacadoo and her family (or dogs) undue concern.

Ellz please don't take offence, I was only giving my opinion as a good friend of Raja and knowing Ochre who is the same lines as mine. The thing is with Basenjis they aren't a normal canine :cheer:

My guys are 2 n half weeks and they are wagging there lil tails lol and playing with each other

Also getting used to my voice.. They have a nice set of chompers coming tho too lol Poor Dakota..

Yes i found my biggest ruby girl biting her brother today, she has real additude that one!

I personaly love the little barks they produce, they are so cute.

I have been breeding purebreds for the past 40 years and believe me I have learnt a lot over that time, even more so with the breed I now have for over 28 years, when the digital thermometer came into being I had a big sigh of a relief that at last there was a thermometer that I could read and one that is very accurate.

As my breed are 99% sure to have to have a c section it is imperative to be getting acurate temp readings so as they can have an elective, I work hand in hand with my vet with the temps taken same time morning and night, my bitches go for a pre whelp check up at day 58 and that is when we start to take the temperatures and record them, the moment that their temps drop more than one degree and stays close to or constant to that low reading, the bitch then has her section done.

So what I am saying here is this, I totally agree with everything that Ellz and Aziah are saying, for peace of mind and for the bitch and babies sake she needs to see the vet, just because it is obviously a known easy whelping breed, do not forget Mother nature can pull a trick or two and I am sure that not all of this breed's bitches find having her babies is like falling off of a log as has been stated.

I have a bitch here who is due next week, Thursday being day 61, so I will be taking her over for her check next Monday and start taking her temp from then on, and she will be having her c section a week today as she was inseminated with frozen semen from the UK and I cannot take any risks with this special litter.

She is starting to look as miserable as sin ;) :D

Hi Guys,

*creeps in very quietly*

I have taken onboard what everyone has said, especially those with FAR more knowledge than I have, and I am happy with how things are progressing, (or are'nt as the case may be ;) )... I have decided that the thermometer I have been using, despite it being brand new, isnt working properly, perhaps its a degree out. That would make sense :D :( I have quite possibly bought the only broken thermometer in the Chemist the other day :o So no more temperature taking !!!

I have had her on my lap this afternoon, and I have felt some pretty vigorous 'football' games going on , so Im happy that the puppies are doing fine ;) ...

Now I have a bit of a confession to make too :eek: . When I calculated Ochre's due date, (she only had the one mating, after prog testing), I put down her due date as the 26th June. Well actually its the 29th June :o ... The reason I did that is cos I was 'warned' by a number of Basenji breeders that the greater majority of B's tend to whelp closer to day 60 than 63. Then when we saw 6 puplets on the xray last Monday, that was also another thing that would possibly make her whelp earlier, the big litter. Well true to Basenji form I reckon that Ochre is going to make everyone a liar, (and B's are VERY good at doing that, I can assure you :) ;)), and she will probably go over 63 days ;) ...

I have spoken to my Vet today, and I am happy that everything is fine with Ochre.

I will come back in when things start happening, and it just might be in the July thread :rofl:

Edited by rajacadoo

Ours have been easy whelpers, having said that Bree proved me wrong ;)

:D rajacadoo, just as well you checked your dates :( If she does go over the 63 days then you may well be in the July thread afterall :)

PS Hope you take the thermometer back!!!

Edited by Hesapandabear

I am still waiting too.

Friday she was day 60 from first mating. I did 4 matings over several days.

Found a working thermometer and started taking temp two days ago and so far she is normal.

I noticed her boobies are getting quite bigger too.

I may end up in the July thread at this rate.

BB

You and me both BB :hug::rofl::) ...

Im still :cool: :eek::laugh: ...

Hesa, I started to whisper in her ear, and she turned and gave me such an evil stare, I ran away, in fear of my life :hug:

Beat you to it. Miles is whelping now. 2 girls so far and more to come. She wasn't due until 30th June!

Another girl just arrived.

Edited by Chocolate