Digging!

Grace1979

By saying every morning there is a new hole- I am presuming she is digging at night? keeping her indoors would solve the problem if that is the case :thumbsup: if she is outside all night, she will be looking for something to do..... what activity does she get during an average day- and how much time does she spend doing stuff with you ?

Just keep putting the poop in the hole. She will eventually stop. It may be that she is smart enough to have worked out how to "get around" the first lot.

She sleeps outside, and the weather hasent gotten that much colder. Grace is going on 5 mths old. JJ shes digging in different areas but went back to the hole i had put the poo in and dug again there! I will keep giving it a try and just hope she grows out of it.

She sleeps outside, and the weather hasent gotten that much colder. Grace is going on 5 mths old. JJ shes digging in different areas but went back to the hole i had put the poo in and dug again there! I will keep giving it a try and just hope she grows out of it.

She should grow out of it. Jet isn't as bad as he used to be. But I am making sure I wear him out everyday now and he is inside more.

You give her bones and kongs and stuff when she is alone hey?

Try giving her a soccer ball to knock around.. a treatball/cube to feed her and keep her busy..and maybe buy one of those clamshell kids sandpit things- fill it with nice coarse sand, and hide treats/toys in there- so she can dig happily...in her own space :)

Is this only happening at night time?

Thanks she has heaps of toys but will get the kong toys, poodlefan no she does it during the day as well i caught her this afternoon digging one. jj she gets bones of all soughts i just dont have one of those kong toys so will give that ago.

Urgh the dreaded digging! I have 3 Greyhounds and 2 of them dig and one is 10 years old the other is 5 so don't think yours will grow out of it :provoke:

Mine seem to dig most when it's hot and they want a cool place to sleep but they also dig after their mad zoomies around the yard, they get a lot of exercise and have heaps of toys so it's not a boredom thing.

We've tried and still try to put poo in the holes and cover them up, doesn't work though or they move their digging some place else so we end up with a yard full of dirt where the grass should be, the only thing we have found that works is to lay chicken wire or the plastic kind over the dirt and peg it really well in place so it doesn't hurt their paws, we use it on holes in the lawn too and the lawn ends up growing over it and can't see the mesh anymore.

Oh thank god someone else has posted about digging....... Just got home to find my 4 month old pointer has discovered the joy of digging lol. Did it while I was at work and he was in the back yard.

I've been told by another digger victim that the chicken wire works well. How is it best to lay it?? Do you do only the fence line or literally lay it over the whole yard?

I would love a method that stops this behaviour now rather than let it linger on :)

also... He has so many toys to play with but isn't interested at all in playing with kongs ( which I hoped would keep his lil brain occupied while I'm out) He plays with it while it's packed loosely and he can get it out easily but if I make it tricky to try and keep him occupied for longer he just gives up.... Any ideas?? ( I've tried the ice block with treats in it but he just leaves it til it mealts then eats the treats..... Who ever said dogs were dumb lol.

I have a 10 month old Border Collie that is digging up the back and front yard I have filled up all the holes last week only to find that she has dug them all back out again :eek: I had a Real Estate inspection today and am waiting to see if they bring up anything about the holes in the yard. I think i am going to go out to Bunnings and get more soil and chicken wire and cover up all the spots that have been dug out so the grass grows back.

I too leave out plenty of toys, food etc to keep her busy during the day while i am at work but nothing seems to be working right now I also take her out for a walk every night, do obedience, agility and herding with her but nothing seems to be working with the hole digging *sigh*