Dog Squad Ch. 7

Clyde

The fact that you were intimidated just watching him on TV means it's mission accomplished.

I wasn't, I was curled up on my lounge eating chocolate - I thought the handler looked foolish but now I am getting more of an idea that portraying 'out of control' is the desired effect. Thanks for the explanation, it does make sense now. :nahnah:

My Bfs mum reckons Tank was untrained and unruly too. Its what they are trained to do and behave in that situation. No point rocking up to a situation with a dog who isnt going to have your back. Especially when back up is a few mins away and there is a large weapon about. They are essentially trained to act that way to deter any one from approaching the officer.

Anyone see the guy nearly get bitten when he wouldnt back away from the cops. The dog got close!

Jed noted that both the beagle and gsp were docked, and fainted dead away.

The British Police made a submission to the UK Government's inquiry about tail docking. They said, for drug/product sniffing dogs, they wanted to continue docking their tails. Their reason being these dogs have to go searching in confined spaces...where there are injury hazards for an enthusiastic, long wagging tail.

I was reminded of that when I saw the docked 'sniffer' beagle & gsp on the New Zealand program last night. Seems NZ may do the same as the UK.

The beagle had a reasonable amount of tail left....so he could still do some happy wagging.

I loved the way the officer rewarded the gsp with a game with a tea towel. And he commented wouldn't it be great if everyone worked for a tea towel. :nahnah:

Edited by mita

For anyone who has foxtel there is a show which comes up on Animal Planet called K9 cops, it is set in somewhere like Minnesota and they go out while the dogs mantrail and do drug and firearm searches. It is really interesting to watch.

I enjoyed watching the dogs work on this one but only came in half way through the program so I think I missed Tank. Be nice to see an Australian show, with a lot of the work that is going on here not just in airports but protecting wildlife from feral pests etc. Dogs have so much to offer ;)

sounds good wazzat if you dont feel like posting it could you pm it to me

what the handler did was let the dog "display"

a display is when the dog goes to the end of the lead and eather bounce or scoot side to side

by its self you would think the dog was playing just like u will see if u held your dog and used a tug toy to hype the dog up

but with the training the dogs go though they add controlled aggression IE- the barking and snarling if it wasnt controlled the dog wouldnt have passes it PSD test

also you would have noticed when the situation quitened down the handler used a shorter lead this was so he could keep the dog in play and he could still get on with what he wanted safely

any dog that can work in a crowd control situation i take my hat of to because it is a hi stress situation and shows how strong willed dog is and there training

Edited by cramet

sounds good wazzat if you dont feel like posting it could you pm it to me

what the handler did was let the dog "display"

a display is when the dog goes to the end of the lead and eather bounce or scoot side to side

by its self you would think the dog was playing just like u will see if u held your dog and used a tug toy to hype the dog up

but with the training the dogs go though they add controlled aggression IE- the barking and snarling if it wasnt controlled the dog wouldnt have passes it PSD test

also you would have noticed when the situation quitened down the handler used a shorter lead this was so he could keep the dog in play and he could still get on with what he wanted safely

any dog that can work in a crowd control situation i take my hat of to because it is a hi stress situation and shows how strong willed dog is and there training

I have looked and at home I only have my scent detection manuals I will over the weekend get the Man work Manulas from the workshop they are stored at. I will scan a few basic parts and post them here for the gist of how the dog works.

:provoke:

yeah I would agree with that clyde :o

I think it comes down to females having more of a level head

Tank seemed highly stressed and the handler didnt seem to show alot of control over him

He was doing crowd dispersal yes? Looked about right to me.

yes that is true, he was doing crowd dispersal. I have seen many police dogs at work back in NZ.(I used to do volunteer work with the Police) My Dad also used to be a security guard many many years ago. And with that work he had a Boxer who did have some catches. In my opinion the Police Officer did not have proper control over Tank.

Yes I do realise what Police dogs are trained to do. By they must also have a cease recall and in my opinion Tank seemed very stressed and the handler did not appear to have full and effective control over him. Granted the situation was a violent one. We wont know the full ending will we cause it was never shown.

But I am sure that if everyones elses opinion deemed the handler was in complete control of the dog then he must of been.

I think they might be doing a re run on Sunday night. I vaguely heard something on the TV in the other room earlier.

I might watch it again, just so I can hear them say 'mashitty' :laugh:

Edited by Clyde