Whelping Boxes

moko81

We have one of those heated Kenol ones, we figured it was a good investment as it should last forever, but since 'discovering' the heat lamp we do not use the heater in the whelping box. I highly recommend the heat lamps! We are lucky and know a pig farmer who has oodles these for his piglets and he gave us some so all we had to buy was the lights. If you get the melamine i would try and make sure the edges where the wood is bare you seal it to make it waterproof as it may warp when it gets wet from being washed.

If we have 2 litters at the same time we dont have a 2nd whelping box so we use a large plush round dog bed bought from Petstock, we take out the padded mattress and replace with paper, blankets etc and hang a light over half of it. We have to be careful though as it has no rails to guard against pups being squashed thats all, and pups cant stay in it once they start making a mess as it takes ages to dry.

We have a heat lamp which is good, 1 of hubbies many purchases when he discovered ebay :):o:eek: A few other people have also recommended heat lamps rather then heat pads & it makes alot of sense.

With the xposed wood on the melamine if you were to purchase some of that metal stuff (can't think of the name or rite phrasing :D :):) ) would you still have to seal the wood even though it was covering it (hope u understand wat i'm on :eek::o:o) sorry having a clueless moment.

I dont think my Kenol one has anything else under the metal edging :laugh: Those strip's Ish suggested look good!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first few litters maaaaany years ago I was able to borrow a heated whelping box.

Then I changed to a simple setup of sides only placed on a tarp, layers of newspaper and the bedding.

Now I just use my pen. One corner has a bed with raised sides, the rest is covered in newspaper. My heatpad goes on the bed, the heat lamp is suspended over the top in such a way that it can be raised or lowered according to where the heat is needed and how intense it needs to be. The bitch can still move off the heatpad when it is on, but the puppies (until they're bigger and are able to move around themselves) stay on the bed. The heatpad and lamp are only used together for the first week or so, or if the weather is especially cold here. Once the puppies are able to regulate their temps a bit better on their own, I will use either the heatpad or lamp, depending upon the weather during the day with the lamp on at night. It doesn't just provide warmth, it also gives a gentle light that I can see by should I need to do anything to the puppies or the pen in the dark.

Pen by day....

post-864-1271989844_thumb.jpg

Pen by night....

post-864-1271989873_thumb.jpg

After spending much of the morning arguing in Bunnings :o:o:o & my hubby declaring "he is not making a whelping box & the puppies are gonna sleep in a plastic pool" :laugh::laugh::laugh: I called Mr Plywood & was quoted (with cutting) for waterproof ply $80 for a 3ftx3ftx2ft box with base :(:rofl::laugh:

He said all we had to do was seal it or paint it (samething) before we screwed it all together, cool got a pot of acrylic paint in the shed.

Very very happy with that :D :D :D

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, pix & kind words it was really appreciated :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 more question VET BED (green or blue bottom) which is the best one for us to get?

Edited by moko81

After spending much of the morning arguing in Bunnings :o:o:o & my hubby declaring "he is not making a whelping box & the puppies are gonna sleep in a plastic pool" :laugh::laugh::laugh: I called Mr Plywood & was quoted (with cutting) $80 for a 3ftx3ftx2ft box with base :(:rofl::laugh:

He said all we had to do was seal it or paint it (samething) before we screwed it all together, cool got a pot of acrylic paint in the shed.

Very very happy with that :D :D :D

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, pix & kind words it was really appreciated :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 more question VET BED (green or blue bottom) which is the best one for us to get?

Initially......neither. I found the puppies were spending more time trying to nurse from the vetbed than their mother in the first few days. And unless you're prepared to spend a heap of time washing and drying it......until they're a bit bigger I found polar fleece was much better. It is still super-absorbent and works as a wick, pulling the moisture from the top layer onto layers of newspaper below. Washes and dries quickly and still allows traction for little feet when they are moving around. I put the vetbed back into the pen when the puppies were up on their feet and eyes open and it was a lot better then.

I also found that mum got VERY hot on the vetbed and wasn't as happy to stay with the puppies while it was in the box.

And for background info, this was a litter of 9 Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies and a first time mum who had had a c-section.

I bought vet bed for out recent litter (now 5 weeks old) and wasn't sure which one to get either - so I bought both! I haven't noticed much difference between the green backed or rubber backed with the puppies. When I've put it down for the adult dogs to lay on (on lino), the rubber backed does seem to be better as if they jump on it, it doesn't slide around whereas the green backed does.

Haven't noticed any difference in drying time between the 2, and didn't have either of the problems Ellz mentioned above. I found the puppies got traction on it well, dried overnight if not sooner and a wet hand gathers up the fluff and dog hair from mum easily to leave it clean.

Have used VetBed always and love it, haven't experiences any of the problems Ellz has...

I find it easy to wash, very fast drying and I probably prefer the rubber backed because if you want to put it straight down on lino/tiles/floorboards it doesn't slip.

www.perperonepetsupplies.com.au is the best and cheapest place to purchase @ $30 per meter :thumbsup:

www.perperonepetsupplies.com.au is the best and cheapest place to purchase @ $30 per meter :thumbsup:

I actually seen this on the dogzonline advert pop up, will definitely purchase from here if hubby allows me to buy it :laugh: :D :)

Yay, box is finally built :thumbsup::laugh: :D & I must say hubby did an awesome job :) :D ;)

He wants to put a few finishing touches to it before I can take pics,

Thanks to everyone for there suggestions, words & support it is much appreciated

:):love::)

I bought vet bed for out recent litter (now 5 weeks old) and wasn't sure which one to get either - so I bought both! I haven't noticed much difference between the green backed or rubber backed with the puppies. When I've put it down for the adult dogs to lay on (on lino), the rubber backed does seem to be better as if they jump on it, it doesn't slide around whereas the green backed does.

Haven't noticed any difference in drying time between the 2, and didn't have either of the problems Ellz mentioned above. I found the puppies got traction on it well, dried overnight if not sooner and a wet hand gathers up the fluff and dog hair from mum easily to leave it clean.

]

I have been told that the rubber-backed Vet Bed generates a LOT of heat (ie; too much for pups) once the rubber gets wet beneath.

I always place multiple layers of newspaper under the vet bed as I've been told this prevents the problem.

Anyone found this to be the case?

I actually bought my Vet bed from a place called "The Wolves Den" for $26.00 a metre.

I think they advertise on Dol aswell. :thumbsup:

Peperone sells 1x1.5m pieces for $30 which is $10 cheaper than the Wolves Den for the same size.

jerojath I had newspaper under the vetbed in the whelping box also - interesting that wetness would make it hot.

Thank you to all that have replied in this thread. :o It has been very interesting reading and great to see the pics.

I have used an over head heat lamp with prior litters with success. I have also used a heated whelping box for my most recent litters. I found the mothers of the last two litters got very hot in it and they were winter litters. I am torn as to what way I wish to go with my next litter (another winter litter). I like the idea of a heating pad in one area as that allows mum to stay cool and nurse her pups without overheating.............decisions, decisions.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I will add that I have the drybed from Peperone? May pay to be aware of that if you intend ordering from them. I won't say that the issues/concerns I had were MAJOR ones, but they were annoying enough for me to cope with so I thought I would bring them to everybody else's attention. Maybe others aren't as pedantic as I am! :o

I will also add that apart from the first couple of weeks, I LOVE the stuff. It is great for crate bedding, is fabulous in the trolley at shows and I have a large piece on the backseat of my car for the dogs to lay on. They know that "their" spot is the spot with the pink blanky.

I'll also be ordering more, in different colours. BUT I won't be ordering any more greenbacked stuff. I prefer the other type.

The only time I have had puppies looking for a feed from the bedding was when the bitch had mastitis and the pups were getting hungry - once I took over with their feeds they stopped looking for it elsewhere.

The pepperone people (very helpful by the way) told me that they don't recommend the rubber back bedding for whelping and while the puppies are very small because of the extra wear and tear on the bedding, washing with hot water and the heating from the boxes will lessen the life of the rubber backing. The Green backed bedding is better for extra washing with hot water and the heating from the box or heat pads. I still use it in the box because I like the pretty colors (better selection with rubber backed) but used towels and paper to protect the rubber backing. It is lovely, snuggly and warm, the puppies love it. If I wreck them due to not using them as advised that is my fault not their.

If you have a bitch who scratches at the bedding then it will wreck the rubber backing - Lizzy did this - the little shit kept turning it over when I was using it as bedding on the tiles so she could scratch the crap out of it - think she liked watching the little white stuff flying around while she was having a ball.

I had a heated whelping box for Piper and used it with both her litters. Got an oder for an unheated box that was bigger and has higher sides than hers that was not picked up so I sold the heated box. Worked out better for me cause it has wheels on the end, moving it around is so much easier too, it's better made and heavier to go with it. I found the heated box even on low was too warm for her to be really comfortable. I have 2 heat pads and an over head heat lamp so not worried about keeping pups warm in the unheated box - house also has central heating. Lizzy has an unheated box that I had made up for her - worked out great. Kept a heat pad to one side so she could get away from the heating as she wanted. Also used the heat lamp but didn't need it much.

If we didn't whelp or raise puppies inside the house with us then I would have kept the heated box - as they are inside with us it is much easier keeping everyone warm and snug.

Having used both - heated and unheated whelping boxes - it is not hard keeping them warm and snug. One or two heat pads (depends on size of box) and an over head heat lamp with vet bed worked great for us.

Edited by Andisa

Thank you to all that have replied in this thread. :thumbsup: It has been very interesting reading and great to see the pics.

I have used an over head heat lamp with prior litters with success. I have also used a heated whelping box for my most recent litters. I found the mothers of the last two litters got very hot in it and they were winter litters. I am torn as to what way I wish to go with my next litter (another winter litter). I like the idea of a heating pad in one area as that allows mum to stay cool and nurse her pups without overheating.............decisions, decisions.

after being out with friends last nite & also asking there thoughts on heat pad versus heat lamp, the consensus was heat pad as a few have said they cooked a couple with the lamps :thumbsup::3monkeys::mad & they found heat pad to be a better fit for them. I still like the idea of a heat lamp & haven't ruled it out yet, but also have heat pads on hand incase all hell breaks loose with the lamp :mad:mad:mad

I too thank everyone who has replied to this thread, I've learnt more here then I could've ever imagined :cry::champagne::thumbsup: to you all.

Edited by moko81

Thank you to all that have replied in this thread. :hug: It has been very interesting reading and great to see the pics.

after being out with friends last nite & also asking there thoughts on heat pad versus heat lamp, the consensus was heat pad as a few have said they cooked a couple with the lamps :cry::laugh::laugh: & they found heat pad to be a better fit for them. I still like the idea of a heat lamp & haven't ruled it out yet, but also have heat pads on hand incase all hell breaks loose with the lamp :idea::cry::mad

I too thank everyone who has replied to this thread, I've learnt more here then I could've ever imagined :(:vomit::vomit: to you all.

:D They must have had the lamp too close!!! Set it up then sit there for as long as it takes, adjusting the height of it according to what the babies are doing and how warm the bedding underneath gets, cant cook them if you have the height right!

:rofl::cry: :D after spending the weekend arguing ova building the box not building & then finally building it, we decided to take our girl into get an ultrasound just to put our minds at ease & the Vet seen nothing :(:(:(

We had a sneaking suspicion that she maybe having a phantom as she had one on her previous season & we didn't even mate her :laugh::laugh::vomit: but were hoping like hell it wasn't & now our suspicions have been confirmed ;) :(:(

Oh well theres always next time, least we have a nicely built whelping box for wen we do eventually have puppies.

Once again thanks everyone for all your help, advice etc etc, really appreciated :) :D :)