Questions About Pregnancy And Whelping.

RoseRed

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry, it doesn't matter how many whelpings you oversee, they all have the potential to throw you and I for one always dread them on one hand, but love them on the other.

My BIGGEST pet hate is that first night or so when they're so tiny and vulnerable. I wish that timeframe were a bit less stressful!! :rofl:

Poor Koda, she was obviously in whelp from the minute she returned from the stud dog in Melbourne. I took weekly photos of her and I cannot believe how big her belly grew! Mind you, it didn't slow her down much until the last day. She still wanted to round up the horses and jump fences!! Being "confined to barracks" was NOT to her liking one little bit! :)

Hi BB, when you say "top most nipples", do you mean closest to her head or closest to her tail? (I'm assuming head)

Today (day 62) is the first day that I've got any milk out of her nipples at all. But only from the middle sets (none from the sets at either end of her body)

Day 63 - Dani was out on the back landing and when she moved I noticed she had left a damp patch on the concrete, and this patch was a green tinge. I then checked her fanny area and noticed a splodge of this greenish stuff ... I describe it as looking a bit like the colour of pea and ham soup.

Could this be her mucous plug? If so, how long should I wait for labour to begin?

Hi Rosered,

If you have a green tinge discharge I would be taking her to the vet to have her checked out.

Normally the plug is a clear to pink colour.

Green can mean that the pups are stressed.

Leanne

Yep, I'd be worried about green too.

The top nipple theory may be a breed specific thing because I've never noticed it in any of my girls.

Day 63 is usually the last day I view any litter with any kind of relaxation......by Day 63 from the last breeding, you should really be seeing some kind of action.

The green could be a sign of puppy distress and placental separation. It needs checking.

Rang the vet, they reckon it's just a sign that the puppies will be coming soon. I asked if it means the puppies are in distress and they said no.

Still doesn't make me feel real secure, but I guess I'll wait a little longer.

Rang the vet, they reckon it's just a sign that the puppies will be coming soon. I asked if it means the puppies are in distress and they said no.

Still doesn't make me feel real secure, but I guess I'll wait a little longer.

I'm sorry but most vets really don't know much about whelping puppies.

In my 24 year experience, green ANYTHING is enough to strike fear into my heart particularly at Day 63 gestation.

Is there another vet you can go to?

Is Dani showing signs of being in labour?

If there is no puppy within the next hour, I would be seeking out another vet quick smart.

I'm with Ellz - I don't like green although a little meconium tinge in a bitch who is whelping ok is acceptable to me.

Where in Qld are you Rose Red and maybe I can suggest a vet if I know of one in your area.

Yep, during whelping is one thing but in a bitch who is yet to start....that's a whole different thing altogether.

If it were me, I'd probably be having a vet look her over, maybe do an internal to see if she is dilating and whether or not the green is actually coming from the cervix.

Ok I just took her temp and it's 36.8, so I'm assuming that's a good sign. I'd say tonight is the night.

t-time, I'm in Gladstone. The vet I spoke to on the phone is the one who will actually be on call tonight, so I guess I'll keep a close eye on her, and call the vet out tonight if I have to.

But everybody please keep Dani in your thoughts and maybe send us some good wishes for a smooth labour

We have two tricolour boys :thumbsup:

Don't know if there's anymore to go.

However, it hasn't all been smooth sailing. Dani has freaked out and won't have anything to do with them. She is hiding up the other end of the house and won't come back to where the pups are :thanks: