First Ever Reserve Challenge

LizT

Big thrill for me today when my young girl won her first ever Reserve Challenge! She's usually places well in her classes and has won many blue ribbons which I cherish and always have to go and ask for (I even ask for the third place ribbons). I found this concept very surprising when I first started showing dogs as with horses the Steward always hand the judge the ribbons and you are given them in the ring. I noticed this at a few shows when I first started showing a couple of years back but thought it quite sad that so many of the winners were just putting them back into the tubs. Personally I thought it looked rude but that's just me.

A friend suggested I ask for a Blank Challenge certificate to fill out as a memento of the day but the Secretary said"No", don't have any. :mad Oh well. Oh has taken my word for it LOL. Can't fake that sort of smile :)

So basically, what is the point of a Reserve Challege. I notice that in the UK they give out Reserve Challenge Certificates and Ribbons, as they do at horse Shows.

Oh well, both my daughters came along with me to watch today so at least I was able to share the moment.

Can't imagine how excited I'd be if I ever get to win a Challenge! :D ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people put the class, challenge, bob & rubob ribbons back to save the clubs money on printing more for the next show :D - its not being rude. I collect them for the people who own puppies we bred and I show as they cherish them but don't bother for my own dogs anymore.

Congrats on your first Reserve win! :D

I wouldn't worry too much about ribbons! ;)

Normally if I am handed a ribbon, I usually keep them, but god knows where they are now and I think they've disappeared or mum put them away, but I just accept them out of respect for the judge.

If I don't get any, it's not like I will cry over it because it's really only a place ribbon. I usually like to keep challenges and/or BOB ribbons if I get them.

I kept my first Challenge and Best of Breed ribbon (Got both in one show!) and boy they were almost as big as an in group sash!

Yes, I know ribbons are expensive and I guess if you win alot the novelty wears off for many! I have bags of horse ribbons and having been involved in organising horses shows I know how expensive they are (ridiculously so at times! and they are considerably larger and therefore more costly) I certainly understand seasoned campaigners not bothering about them and leaving them to be reused by the committee, I have no problem with that, it would save them heaps. Nobody puts the year date on Horse Show ribbons any more for that same reason! (except the Supremes and Challenges).

I often hold on to momentos only to throw the lot out years later. However, I still have all the ribbons (handed out by Judges and never asked for) and Challenge Certificates and Aust. Championship Title Certificate my little Schipperke Bitch won in the 1980's.

Initially I asked for ribbons as My "Show Buddy" is my youngest daughter, who was seven when we started showing together and delights in the affirmation of the day, to quote her "it shows we did okay that day". :thumbsup:

So together we cherish all our better days.

Here RCC ribbons where stopped by most clubs many many years ago.

i too dont collect them & hand them back,many clubs now are starting to to not have them ring side & you go to the office to ask because people would throw them in the bin,let the dogs chew them up or the likes.

Those ribbons cost $1 plus these days so clubs have to draw the line somewhere.

The certificates would cost even more.

There is nothing stopping ypu from printing up a certificate

The clubs can purchase RCC certificates but I've never seen one, most clubs have RCC ribbons if you go and ask at the office.

Congratulations on your win :thumbsup:

Thanks Aziah, I did ask and they had nothing. Never mind. Just have to keep plugging away for a Challenge (while they still have those LOL)

Here RCC ribbons where stopped by most clubs many many years ago.

i too dont collect them & hand them back,many clubs now are starting to to not have them ring side & you go to the office to ask because people would throw them in the bin,let the dogs chew them up or the likes.

Those ribbons cost $1 plus these days so clubs have to draw the line somewhere.

The certificates would cost even more.

There is nothing stopping ypu from printing up a certificate

LOL My elder daughter offered to do that for me! :thumbsup:

Yes, they are expensive these days. Years ago they used to be made in the Prison Workshop at Pentridge and were relatively cheaper than today.

Edited by LizT

Well done Liz! We do still see Res Challenge ribbons around up this way. I have a couple that I keep from memorable wins - like you have had.

Sometimes a Res Challenge is a big deal! I have a little one from when my girl won R/Ch from the puppy class out of an impressive line up of adults that I greatly admire, including a Gr Ch. It's a little ribbon but pretty special!!

I have fringy pale purple ones from the Canberra Royal which are nice too!

Having only been in showing a couple of years I still value some of the wins that don't seem so big to seasoned campaigners. I don't think it hurts a club to have a couple of ribbons around for folks in this situation - it's very encouranging for us newbies sometimes!! I know they cost but a small quantity can last a long time when only a few people want them.

Having only been in showing a couple of years I still value some of the wins that don't seem so big to seasoned campaigners. I don't think it hurts a club to have a couple of ribbons around for folks in this situation - it's very encouranging for us newbies sometimes!! I know they cost but a small quantity can last a long time when only a few people want them.

I agree with this, also they don't cost that much per ribbon when you consider that most people don't take them - they're not like fringies. I have only had to buy ribbons once in the last 3 years and that was only because we had a judge who preferred to give them out and it was only 1st place ribbons I had to replace. Haven't had to order any others and don't expect to for quite a while.

Don't stress looking for a certificate. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::( ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AH BB your always looking after me! :thumbsup:

Have images of BB ploughing through boxes, bags, cupboards, tins......so that's were I put that..... :D

Thanks BB, as you are aware I have walked into a breed that is very competative and dominated by many top exhibitors and breeders so, even though it's no big deal, my first RC is a big deal to me! :cry: Might be the best I ever do??

Well done Liz! We do still see Res Challenge ribbons around up this way. I have a couple that I keep from memorable wins - like you have had.

Sometimes a Res Challenge is a big deal! I have a little one from when my girl won R/Ch from the puppy class out of an impressive line up of adults that I greatly admire, including a Gr Ch. It's a little ribbon but pretty special!!

I have fringy pale purple ones from the Canberra Royal which are nice too!

Yes, it does mean alot to those that don't win all the time. Many breeds are dominated by top exhibitors and breeders so a win means a great deal to us "lesser exhibitors". It cetainly doesn't hurt to have a few ribbons or certificates on hand for the "odd" person like myself. Often (not always) when I go to the office to ask on my own it looks like I've asked for a blood donation. Thankfully, when a child is standing next to me there is a warmer response.

Edited by LizT

In Tas we have Reserve Challenge certificates available on request at all shows. From a secretaries point of view it doesnt cost the earth, nor take much time to write up and it might just make the show experience abit nicer for a new exhibitor to receive one, especially if the "show buddy" is a child as Liz T says. If you get 4 people at 1 show that come and request them you would be lucky but for those 4 people to come back and show again, its worth the effort.

Well done on your win !! :o

Edited by Staffordz

Here in Vic my understanding is that the Club has to have either Reserve CC Certificates or ribbons for each breed.

I too have been in the same boat on occasion wanting one of the above only to be told' sorry we don' have any'.

I am not a big time exhibotor either( maybe 1-2 shows every 2-3 months)

so if my dog gets a Reserve CC I would like to be able to saviour the moment with.

Big thrill for me today when my young girl won her first ever Reserve Challenge! She's usually places well in her classes and has won many blue ribbons which I cherish and always have to go and ask for (I even ask for the third place ribbons). I found this concept very surprising when I first started showing dogs as with horses the Steward always hand the judge the ribbons and you are given them in the ring. I noticed this at a few shows when I first started showing a couple of years back but thought it quite sad that so many of the winners were just putting them back into the tubs. Personally I thought it looked rude but that's just me.

A friend suggested I ask for a Blank Challenge certificate to fill out as a memento of the day but the Secretary said"No", don't have any. :) Oh well. Oh has taken my word for it LOL. Can't fake that sort of smile ;)

So basically, what is the point of a Reserve Challege. I notice that in the UK they give out Reserve Challenge Certificates and Ribbons, as they do at horse Shows.

Oh well, both my daughters came along with me to watch today so at least I was able to share the moment.

Can't imagine how excited I'd be if I ever get to win a Challenge! :laugh: ;)

:) well done Liz ;)

I agree i got my first ever res challenge on friday and runner-up best of breed i was so excited and i have nothing at all to show for it . I have only been showing in the dog world for a few months. I have also shown horses for many years myself and my daughter and we get something for res at all times ,i also understand that not all people like to take home ribbons but for myself i would of loved to have something in my hand to say i finally got somewhere a certificate would of been great. Well done again you sound like you were as excited as myself. :thumbsup:

Very few clubs keep Reserve Challenge certificates but most will have ribbons.

In fact in NSW (cant say for other states) there are rules stating ribbons must be handed out in the ring.

I believe this should be enforced particularly for ch. rch, bob and rubob so unlookers can see what is going on. Rarely do dogs get put on the markers in place order and it is impossible ringside at times to know who got what.

It is really great to be able to stand ringside and explain to onlookers/newcomers what is happening.

At the Rylstone Kandos & District Dog Club shows on 24th & 25th July Ch and Res and Bob & Rubob ribbons will be handed out in the ring. We also have heaps of special BOB sashes. 1st 2nd @ 3rd ribbons will be available at the Secretaries tent and announcements made telling people where things are.

I do think it important to create understanding of how things happen in the ring if we are to encourage and keep new people to the sport. Those who have heaps of ribbons can quietly hand their ribbons back at the secretaries office - looks very rude to do so at ringside.

jmho

A friend suggested I ask for a Blank Challenge certificate to fill out as a memento of the day but the Secretary said"No", don't have any. :D Oh well. Oh has taken my word for it LOL. Can't fake that sort of smile :D

Can't imagine how excited I'd be if I ever get to win a Challenge! :laugh::party:

:o well done Liz :)

I agree i got my first ever res challenge on friday and runner-up best of breed i was so excited and i have nothing at all to show for it . I have only been showing in the dog world for a few months. I have also shown horses for many years myself and my daughter and we get something for res at all times ,i also understand that not all people like to take home ribbons but for myself i would of loved to have something in my hand to say i finally got somewhere a certificate would of been great. Well done again you sound like you were as excited as myself. :laugh:

Thanks and congrats to you too! :)