The Best Car/vehicle For Dogs

tlc

Lol - I can't wait to upgrade to a bigger car - at the moment the furkids are in the back of my Nissan Tiida or Hubby's Commodore Sedan- they fit nicely, but when skin-kids come along we'll need to get a wagon or 4WD with room in the back as the furkids go everywhere with us.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in a similar boat only we are looking for a car for hubby. I drive a 08 forester and you most certainly can get a cargo barrier - check the website for subaru :rofl: Vivas are a rebadged (daewoo??) other brand and have NO guts no get up and go at all. We looked at one when I got my subaru. I lOVE my subaru :rofl:

We are currently looking at the holden wagon. We show and with only two small toy dogs it seemed overkill to get a trailer (although not ruling it out) but we also have two kids and the commodore wagon is leading the way. (off to check out the advetura :eek:)

Well we have spent the last couple of hours doing the rounds of the car yards, A bit limited living in a rural area but it give us a good idea of price etc

We test drove a VZ commodore and we keep coming back to the wagon for the size. We also looked at an Astra cdx wagon, I was really suprised by the amount of room in the back, still not as big as the wagon but would be more economical. I liked the Suburu forester, but once again not quite big enough in the back and the guy reckons that they can't be fitted with a cargo barrier. :eek: The Mitsubishi outlander was much the same.

I have a 2000 model commodore wagon and I love it. I have looked around at other cars and I'm not really convinced you get as much room in the back as you do with the commodore wagon. I have had my eye on a subaru for a while but I haven't actually got into the back of it and checked out the space. I have a large crate in the back plus shopping bags, a big container of water and coolant and will soon add a pram and I know it will all fit in the wagon comfortably. It is a dilemma but I really feel the commodore wagon might be the biggest boot wise.

After looking today I definatly agree, I would have definatly given the Suburu more consideration had I only had 2 dogs for sure. I do like the fact that the wagon has lots of room for them if they all want to lay down and sleep.

I haven't seen the Caddys, will check them out. Fords are not an option as OH is a die hard Holden lover. I do like the Territorys and OH can get a good discount ($5000) off through his work but he won't let me have a ford :mad Crazy I know!!

Next door neighbour has the Commodore Sportswagon for work. Not as big as the old Commodores but he says roomier than it looks.

A Liberty or Outback with the seats down would be OK. You'd need a roof box for your stuff though. They drive well.

Or email Honda and ask them to import the Honda Element - it even comes in a dog friendly variant but they don't plan to bring it here atm. ;)

We have found the Holden viva on the net and wondering if they are the sports wagons, it is hard to see how big they are from a picture.

if we go away we put our stuff in the rear and the dogs go in the back seat all clipped in. I fashion the back seat so that it is built up behind the front seats so they have more room, worked well on the trip we have just done.

A friend owns a Toyota Hilux twin cab with a full canopy, and with a few blankets thrown in, is ideal for people with multiple dogs. The dogs are comfortable, the owners are also comfortable in the knowledge that the interior of the car will not be made to suffer with dog hair and dirt and of course Toyota is also a reliable car or should I say, ute in this case, mechanically speaking and I have heard this from more than one mechanic's point of view :mad

We looked at one twin cab, little bit out of the price range for the year we want, but is a possibility although I do like the dogs with us.

If you are restricted to one brand of car you don't have much choice do you.

Definatly not restricted to one brand. Only a ford I can't have. :rofl:

We have a VZ Acclaim Wagon, still a big, rolling lump of Commodore and not particularly fuel efficient but it will fit a large dog crate for the GSD and still leaves plenty of room for the Goldie, about a dozen retrieving dummies, balls, kids scooter and a pair of muddy footy boots.

When I first started riving the one I have now, It took a long time to get used to the size compared to my Rav 4 but I'm used to it now. It is ok on a long trip fuel wise but a bit of a guzzler around town.

I'm in the process of selling my corolla to buy an x-trail. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks *squee*

I found that it was the only thing that was able to fit Zero's crate in the back of it. Plenty of room in the backseat for Zero (and any other dog I would want!) too and I would still be able to carry people in it at the same time :cry:

I looked at the new rav 4 plus some others (kluga, CRV, territory, forester, outback, dualis) and the x-trail came out on top for me. I was the most comfortable in it and it handled very well. I was surprised how small the turning circle on it was.

Shell, you will love the xtrail, we didn't see any of them on our travels today at all.

I have a Rav4 - V6 model and i love it. So much room - enough power to tow our big ass dog trailer, and heaps of room for the dogs, show gear/race gear/whatever gear.

Prior to this i had a CRV - the older model, and it was great, but not enough power in the end. But the rav 4 has heaps more room! I love the false floor in it as well!

I really loved my Rav 4 it was brand new when I bought it, it still had the 4 cylinder motor but it was a 2.4 not the 1.8. Just not practical and big enough when I kept accumulating dogs :rofl: hence the Wagon. Your V6 model sounds awesome, my dream car, now just to win tattslotto. :eek:

What is the benifit of the false floor? is it a space to put stuff?

Thanks for all the replys

False floors are to die for. I love love love love love mine. May I repeat I love my false floors which have metal slide out DEEP draws. O I am in heaven, so easy to organise nowadays.

tlc, you have four dogs, so many of the other options are not suitable.

Might pay to expand the budget a little. On the other hand, a dog trailer is a relatively cheap option (compared to a canopy with all the extras).

A quick update, you guys have given me a lot to think about. we have decided now to trade in the OH's work car and keep the wagon, which puts a different spin on things.

I still need something big enough for all the dogs as they are usually with me 99% of the time but I will still have the wagon for dirty doggy days like the beach and wet winter training days and winter walks when they get ferrel and filthy as Oh and I can just swap cars for the day on those days.

So the newer car will be able to be kept relatively clean. Oh is still leaning towards another wagon so we (me and the dogs) still have all the room we are used too. Tonight I looked at a Hyundai Tusan 2007 model and I really loved it, Oh thinks there must be something wrong with it as it has only done 14000 kms and it is just over $20.000 he also thinks the rear is not big enough for all the dogs if I need to put the dogs in there.

Usually now what I do to keep the car reasonably clean is if the dogs are clean they are in the back seat and if they are dirty they go in the back. I think it would be better for long trips especially if I am on my own because there is a lot more room for the dogs in the back seat!! Anyway I'm just talking out loud now LOL

Someone said they had a Hyundai I think it was cointreau with the Dane so Im trying to figure out if 4 medium sized dogs are the same size as a dane :laugh: Can you also tell me with the rear of the Tusan it looks like it can be made longer by putting the seats forward?

We have also looked at a mitsubitshi outlander and I like it a lot too.

For the ones with smaller dogs and high up cars, if your dogs are to small to jump in I'm guessing you have to lift them in? Two of mine would be able to jump in the back of the Hyundai or similar size but the other two would have to be lifted which I can see that will be a right pain in the butt to have to do on a daily basis. Also in the Hyundai does not have a cargo barrier and I can't see that one could be fitted?? I did notice you can buy a universal cargo barrier at Autobarn does anyone have one of these I am wondering how they are attached??

Hi tlc sorry working the weekend so late in replying.

I have a Tucson and here are a few photos with Sparkles in it (hope they work) I have had Sparkles in the back and only have one seat folded as I like one up as she was used to a sedan before, she isn't a good girl travelling either and likes to stand up I think you should have room for 4 medium dogs in the back of the car but not room for passengers too if you put both seats down. I will go and check the seating a bit more for you I haven't tried moving the seats and I don't know if they do move. As you can see from the photos it is a dog mobile.

th_P1010125.jpg

th_P1010126.jpg

th_P1010129.jpg

Wheeeee - I sold my corolla today so hopefully I'll be in a new x-trail really soon. I'm just waiting to hear back about a quote and then I'll be able to put a deposit down on the car.

Yay!!

As soon as I have it, i'll drop you some photos TLC - it's by far the best car for us and I'm very excited about it.

Hi tlc sorry working the weekend so late in replying.

I have a Tucson and here are a few photos with Sparkles in it (hope they work) I have had Sparkles in the back and only have one seat folded as I like one up as she was used to a sedan before, she isn't a good girl travelling either and likes to stand up I think you should have room for 4 medium dogs in the back of the car but not room for passengers too if you put both seats down. I will go and check the seating a bit more for you I haven't tried moving the seats and I don't know if they do move. As you can see from the photos it is a dog mobile.

th_P1010125.jpg

th_P1010126.jpg

th_P1010129.jpg

Your doggy is HUGE!! She is lovely, its funny how she is nearly up to the roof of the car. :dancingelephant: Can you tell me do your back seats move forward at all, like I mean slide forward? also it looks like there is 4 seat belts in the back seat but it says it is only a 5 seater?? I haven't had a chance to get back to the car yard and are still waiting to hear about finance so not much point yet but just want to be prepared. Arghhh I really love the Tucson but my head is still telling me that the wagon is going to be more practical.... :cheer: although on long trips on my own the Tucson would be much better. I think I won't make up my mind till I have a drive but it is good to see photos, the photos make it look really roomy inside!!

Oh I just thought of another question, does it look like a cargo barrier could be fitted? I seen one driving around town the other day with a cargo barrier but when I looked at the car there didn't look to be any where at the top where it could be attached to?? I seen the universal one they have in autobarn and it looked like it would fit a range of cars but not sure how they work or if they need to be attached to anything at the top?

Wheeeee - I sold my corolla today so hopefully I'll be in a new x-trail really soon. I'm just waiting to hear back about a quote and then I'll be able to put a deposit down on the car.

Yay!!

As soon as I have it, i'll drop you some photos TLC - it's by far the best car for us and I'm very excited about it.

Shell I bet you are super excited, there will be a huge difference between the x-trail and the corolla, you and Zero won't know yourselves!! I would definatley like to see some photos when you have it. I went to the Nissan dealers the ohter day but apparently SH X-trails are a rarity around here, if we go out of town for a look they are still on my short list.

Heres a couple of pics of mine and how much the wagon suits the tribe :birthday:

When we go away they all seem to cope well with being in the back seat together, as soon as we hit the 100 zone they are all asleep and we know we usually have a good 4 hours or so before we have to stop, they are the most awesome travellers we don't even know they are there!!

IMG_0422.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

Whoops got distracted again after taking the photos I decided I needed to clean the car and did the lot. As far as I know the back seats don't move, I can call into the dealer tomorrow if you like I drive past them all the time and check if the seats move at all and also ask if they have got the cargo barrier designed yet. When I bought my car in August Head Office said thye were designing one I haven't heard any more since, not that I am really after one.

The Tucson is very roomy, I sat in the back a few weeks ago and was surprised at how much room I had, there are only 3 seatbelts in the back, the middle one is unusual to do up because the seats fold down it did look very safe. It is also very comfortable to sleep in too, I was on my own and no doggy companion but have since decided I could go off on a holiday with her and if we need to sleep in the car there would be plenty of room for both of us.

Your 4 are lovely, I would imagine they could fit in the back of the Tucson without the seats down if necessary, Sparkles often just lies down at the very back against the door. If you want me to measure the area for you let me know and shall do so tomorrow.

Your 4 are lovely, I would imagine they could fit in the back of the Tucson without the seats down if necessary, Sparkles often just lies down at the very back against the door. If you want me to measure the area for you let me know and shall do so tomorrow.

Think the Tucson is now superseeded by the IX35. :eek:

Thanks again Cointreau, but don't go to any trouble. In the next day or so we should know for sure about our finance so we will head back to the car yard and check out the one they have on the lot and maybe take it for a drive.

ari.g the Rav 4 has me drooling, My OH only siad to me last night he thought the newer model would be much bigger in the back and it looks huge. My Rav 4 was the last of the old model so no where as big especially in the rear and that was the reason for swapping to the wagon. I looked at a used one the other day (looked same as yours) but :thumbsup: sadly about 5k out of my price range!!

notsodogless, the captive sounds great. Couldn't you get a rubber mat to go in the back over the carpeted area? I have one for the wagon and they are great and it really saves the carpet!!

Pax I better not look at the IX35 it will be something else to drool over no doubt!! The Tucson in the car yard has only done 14.000kms but makes me wonder what is wrong with it??

PAX I think you are right about the IX35.

I thought of the Holden Captiva but it was going to cost more, less warranty and made in the same country as the Hyundai. I also had a foul taste in my mouth from the Holden dealership who had been trying to get me to buy a new car for years and as my old car was a Holden and they had done all the maintenence on it I was annoyed it didn't last 10 years and they really hadn't a clue how to service a car. Their loss has been my gain.

tlc see if you can find out about the cars service history, some people don't drive very far at all. At one stage when I lived in the country a car would be lucky to get 10,000 ks a year, my old car was lucky to do much over 10,000 ks a year too. I am now pushing to do 20,000 ks a year for my lease agreement with my car. Also check and see if there is any original dealer warranty left, my car has 5 years.

Good luck with your search.

Your right that was one thing my Oh said about the warranty if the car has had it's 10.000km service then the 5 year 100.000km warranty should still be valid. Will definatley be checking it all out as soon as we know about the finance, don't wanna jinx it at this stage, but I'm making a list. I was always under the impression years ago that hyundai's were jsut throw away cars but I think they have come a long way in recent times and surely if thier warranty is that good they must be doing something right. thanks for your advice it is much appreciated!!

Hyundais were throw away car we had a Lantra when they first came out and I was very disapointed and felt it was a very weak unsafe car. Two people at work suggested I try the Tucson as they both had one and were very happy and the quality and handling of the vehicle were terrific, nothing like the Lantra. Check the warranty carefully, I have 5 years unlimited kms my plan is to keep the car for 4 years and then lease a new one.