The Best Car/vehicle For Dogs

tlc

Hi Guys, We are thinking about getting another car for me and the dogs, currently I have a commodore wagon 1999 model. Oh thinks that I would be best off with another wagon (just upgrade the model) as it is easy with the dogs, they all go in the very back if they are wet, dirty etc. Before I had the wagon I had a RAV 4 and I loved it but it just wasn't practical with the dogs room wise especially when we go away it wasn't big enough.

So my question to you guys is for the ones who have multiple dogs what is your best source of transportation, bearing in mind we are in the car a lot and also use my car to go away in, so 2 adults and 4 dogs. We had contemplated a dog trailer but dismissed this idea as it is not practical to be taking a dog trailer everywhere and also I can't picture my lot in a trailer, Im sure they would be fine but it is just not for me.

Is OH right and a wagon the best mode of transportation for me and the pooches or does anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks

PS....Im excited about getting a new car :laugh:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of folk around here are opting for VW Caddy's.. and adding false floors for more carrying space. They're a good option if you only need to carry two passengers. The diesel is a popular option and folk say they drive well.

In a traditional wagon shape, the Ford Territory would be an option. Many of the other wagons are too small these days. :laugh:

Ford will discontinue their Falcon wagon this year - another option gone.

Edited by poodlefan

I haven't seen the Caddys, will check them out. Fords are not an option as OH is a die hard Holden lover. I do like the Territorys and OH can get a good discount ($5000) off through his work but he won't let me have a ford :laugh: Crazy I know!!

I have a 2000 model commodore wagon and I love it. I have looked around at other cars and I'm not really convinced you get as much room in the back as you do with the commodore wagon. I have had my eye on a subaru for a while but I haven't actually got into the back of it and checked out the space. I have a large crate in the back plus shopping bags, a big container of water and coolant and will soon add a pram and I know it will all fit in the wagon comfortably. It is a dilemma but I really feel the commodore wagon might be the biggest boot wise.

I haven't seen the Caddys, will check them out. Fords are not an option as OH is a die hard Holden lover. I do like the Territorys and OH can get a good discount ($5000) off through his work but he won't let me have a ford :laugh: Crazy I know!!

Next door neighbour has the Commodore Sportswagon for work. Not as big as the old Commodores but he says roomier than it looks.

A Liberty or Outback with the seats down would be OK. You'd need a roof box for your stuff though. They drive well.

Or email Honda and ask them to import the Honda Element - it even comes in a dog friendly variant but they don't plan to bring it here atm. :laugh:

A friend owns a Toyota Hilux twin cab with a full canopy, and with a few blankets thrown in, is ideal for people with multiple dogs. The dogs are comfortable, the owners are also comfortable in the knowledge that the interior of the car will not be made to suffer with dog hair and dirt and of course Toyota is also a reliable car or should I say, ute in this case, mechanically speaking and I have heard this from more than one mechanic's point of view :laugh:

post-34308-1272332472_thumb.jpg

Edited by Abigail

We have a VZ Acclaim Wagon, still a big, rolling lump of Commodore and not particularly fuel efficient but it will fit a large dog crate for the GSD and still leaves plenty of room for the Goldie, about a dozen retrieving dummies, balls, kids scooter and a pair of muddy footy boots.

Ute with canopy. You can have canopies fitted with whirlies or other air inducting type things, though be aware that air conditioning will not get to the canopied section, which might not matter, depending where you live. You can also have custom dog boxes made and fitted to both well back and tray back style utitilies. These are a popular option for people competing with working dog trials.

I'm in the process of selling my corolla to buy an x-trail. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks *squee*

I found that it was the only thing that was able to fit Zero's crate in the back of it. Plenty of room in the backseat for Zero (and any other dog I would want!) too and I would still be able to carry people in it at the same time ;)

I looked at the new rav 4 plus some others (kluga, CRV, territory, forester, outback, dualis) and the x-trail came out on top for me. I was the most comfortable in it and it handled very well. I was surprised how small the turning circle on it was.

Or email Honda and ask them to import the Honda Element - it even comes in a dog friendly variant but they don't plan to bring it here atm. ;)

Ooooooh ..... the outline shape is a bit boxier than I'd prefer, but the interior looks great and perfect for canine access (including gear). What a shame they're not bringing it out here. Not enough dog population in the country, I guess. Would be 'up there' in the price range though. But then, so are many of the luxury 4WD type vehicles these days.

I been wanting a Rav 4. Actually, I would prefer a Rav 6, with all the mod-cons of course.

Edited by Erny

Or email Honda and ask them to import the Honda Element - it even comes in a dog friendly variant but they don't plan to bring it here atm. ;)

Ooooooh ..... the outline shape is a bit boxier than I'd prefer, but the interior looks great and perfect for canine access (including gear). What a shame they're not bringing it out here. Not enough dog population in the country, I guess. Would be 'up there' in the price range though. But then, so are many of the luxury 4WD type vehicles these days.

I been wanting a Rav 4. Actually, I would prefer a Rav 6, with all the mod-cons of course.

I emailed them. They said that they do respond to interest from "the market" so send them an email Erny!! A few of us have and apparently they've had others too.

I have thought it would price about the same as the CRV.

I emailed them. They said that they do respond to interest from "the market" so send them an email Erny!! A few of us have and apparently they've had others too.

Who do I email? Honda Head Office?

I have a Rav4 - V6 model and i love it. So much room - enough power to tow our big ass dog trailer, and heaps of room for the dogs, show gear/race gear/whatever gear.

Prior to this i had a CRV - the older model, and it was great, but not enough power in the end. But the rav 4 has heaps more room! I love the false floor in it as well!

Well we have spent the last couple of hours doing the rounds of the car yards, A bit limited living in a rural area but it give us a good idea of price etc

We test drove a VZ commodore and we keep coming back to the wagon for the size. We also looked at an Astra cdx wagon, I was really suprised by the amount of room in the back, still not as big as the wagon but would be more economical. I liked the Suburu forester, but once again not quite big enough in the back and the guy reckons that they can't be fitted with a cargo barrier. ;) The Mitsubishi outlander was much the same.

I have a 2000 model commodore wagon and I love it. I have looked around at other cars and I'm not really convinced you get as much room in the back as you do with the commodore wagon. I have had my eye on a subaru for a while but I haven't actually got into the back of it and checked out the space. I have a large crate in the back plus shopping bags, a big container of water and coolant and will soon add a pram and I know it will all fit in the wagon comfortably. It is a dilemma but I really feel the commodore wagon might be the biggest boot wise.

After looking today I definatly agree, I would have definatly given the Suburu more consideration had I only had 2 dogs for sure. I do like the fact that the wagon has lots of room for them if they all want to lay down and sleep.

I haven't seen the Caddys, will check them out. Fords are not an option as OH is a die hard Holden lover. I do like the Territorys and OH can get a good discount ($5000) off through his work but he won't let me have a ford :rofl: Crazy I know!!

Next door neighbour has the Commodore Sportswagon for work. Not as big as the old Commodores but he says roomier than it looks.

A Liberty or Outback with the seats down would be OK. You'd need a roof box for your stuff though. They drive well.

Or email Honda and ask them to import the Honda Element - it even comes in a dog friendly variant but they don't plan to bring it here atm. :mad

We have found the Holden viva on the net and wondering if they are the sports wagons, it is hard to see how big they are from a picture.

if we go away we put our stuff in the rear and the dogs go in the back seat all clipped in. I fashion the back seat so that it is built up behind the front seats so they have more room, worked well on the trip we have just done.

A friend owns a Toyota Hilux twin cab with a full canopy, and with a few blankets thrown in, is ideal for people with multiple dogs. The dogs are comfortable, the owners are also comfortable in the knowledge that the interior of the car will not be made to suffer with dog hair and dirt and of course Toyota is also a reliable car or should I say, ute in this case, mechanically speaking and I have heard this from more than one mechanic's point of view :whee:

We looked at one twin cab, little bit out of the price range for the year we want, but is a possibility although I do like the dogs with us.

If you are restricted to one brand of car you don't have much choice do you.

Definatly not restricted to one brand. Only a ford I can't have. :)

We have a VZ Acclaim Wagon, still a big, rolling lump of Commodore and not particularly fuel efficient but it will fit a large dog crate for the GSD and still leaves plenty of room for the Goldie, about a dozen retrieving dummies, balls, kids scooter and a pair of muddy footy boots.

When I first started riving the one I have now, It took a long time to get used to the size compared to my Rav 4 but I'm used to it now. It is ok on a long trip fuel wise but a bit of a guzzler around town.

I'm in the process of selling my corolla to buy an x-trail. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks *squee*

I found that it was the only thing that was able to fit Zero's crate in the back of it. Plenty of room in the backseat for Zero (and any other dog I would want!) too and I would still be able to carry people in it at the same time :mad

I looked at the new rav 4 plus some others (kluga, CRV, territory, forester, outback, dualis) and the x-trail came out on top for me. I was the most comfortable in it and it handled very well. I was surprised how small the turning circle on it was.

Shell, you will love the xtrail, we didn't see any of them on our travels today at all.

I have a Rav4 - V6 model and i love it. So much room - enough power to tow our big ass dog trailer, and heaps of room for the dogs, show gear/race gear/whatever gear.

Prior to this i had a CRV - the older model, and it was great, but not enough power in the end. But the rav 4 has heaps more room! I love the false floor in it as well!

I really loved my Rav 4 it was brand new when I bought it, it still had the 4 cylinder motor but it was a 2.4 not the 1.8. Just not practical and big enough when I kept accumulating dogs :rofl: hence the Wagon. Your V6 model sounds awesome, my dream car, now just to win tattslotto. :rock:

What is the benifit of the false floor? is it a space to put stuff?

Thanks for all the replys