Horrendous Handling Blunders

BittyMooPeeb

People can take that? I had no idea! I'd only seen it talked about for dogs lol.. I'll have to investigate :rofl:

:rofl: It was actually made for people !!!

fifi

As is the alternative.. big class of Charders before your class. Ask Jed. :laugh:

:rofl::mad I was going to recomend a wee dram of your fave drop before you hit the ring, but didnt want to be responsible for generation of alcohol dependant new showies !!!! :laugh::laugh:

And......Jed......do tell !!!

fifi

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People can take that? I had no idea! I'd only seen it talked about for dogs lol.. I'll have to investigate :rofl:

:rofl: It was actually made for people !!!

fifi

As is the alternative.. big class of Charders before your class. Ask Jed. :laugh:

:rofl::mad I was going to recomend a wee dram of your fave drop before you hit the ring, but didnt want to be responsible for generation of alcohol dependant new showies !!!! :laugh::laugh:

And......Jed......do tell !!!

fifi

I must miss out on the dutch courage due to being a P player and having to have a blood alchol limit of 0.00!

I remember my last Junior Handling State Final, about 8 years ago, the judge asked me to show her the bait, well thats what I thought, so I pulled out the dried liver OOOPS, she asked me to show her the BITE! I was sooo embarassed, particuarly as someone asked me why I did what i did when I came out the ring :laugh:

Most recently I left the ring before res cc was awarded :rofl: I was flustered as I had run over from showing another dog, and the dog I was handling was playing up, and just stuffed up.

At least we can laugh and share our experiences

I must miss out on the dutch courage due to being a P player and having to have a blood alchol limit of 0.00!

P Player ??? hehehe

Yes and I am also on P Plates and that dosen't help. :rofl:

You need to camp on the grounds to use the Charders nerve settler. :laugh:

P Player ??? hehehe

Yes and I am also on P Plates and that dosen't help. :rofl:

You need to camp on the grounds to use the Charders nerve settler. :laugh:

We can't camp on grounds here, unless we go bush for a show. :rofl:

I took the wrong dog once in the ring.. It was pissing down with rain everyone was everywhere and i just lost it n picked up a dog n ran out rofl.. i did get afunny look from a judge hahaha I knew half way around opps oh well LOL I cant even remember what class it was for.. i just wanted to get home.. it was a horrible day!

This hasn't happened to me but it happened to Sandra twice.

Because there is only the two of us that the dogs show for when we get split up it can be hard when other people help out as they don't really know the dogs and Sandra is used to me handing her the next dog.

We had a double header and I was showing Bonnie the Pug in the other ring when the Whippet's went it and she was handed the wrong dog. When I got there and realised it was too late the judge had started judging. Now under the rules this means that the dog in the ring is disqualified because it has been judged in the wrong class and the dog that should have been judged can't be judged because a class can't be rejudged.

Such a waste and a mistake we thought we would never repeat but it nearly happened again. I must have looked quite scary when I ran into the ring with the right dog just as the judge was about to put his hands on the bitch on the table, he stopped pretty quick while I explained that the wrong dog was on the table.

Of course it's funny now but at the time it was frustrating.

Touch wood, 15 years down the track and I'm yet to fall over :laugh:

I haven't done anything too bad of late. I handled a Mini Pood once, after showing the big dogs, checked it for pulling and it flew off it's feet. :( ooops

:)

I dare not handle anything small after handling a dane as I suspect the result would be the same!

I managed to stay on my feet during the only incident I had - finished the run off for class and as I came to a stop my knee dislocated and then popped back in. I limped away - I think the thought of the fact that if I hit the deck I'd end up with a puppy dane on me thinking it was a great game kept me on my feet.

Edited by Danois

Showing a table breed and I stacked him up right on the front corner of the table, dog leaned sideways the same time I picked his rear left leg up and he tumbled off the table. I managed to break his fall so he didn't hit the ground very hard but I felt terrible, especially that he's not my dog and his owner/breeder is one of the most lovely ladies ever. He was fine, thankfully! And the judge was lovely. I then had to take in other tabled breeds that day in the same group and I made sure not to stack up too close to the edge.

I took a puppy in the other day that I don't normally handle, and had a dog behind me. It felt like my dog limped badly (as in not weight bearing on one leg) for the 1st half of the lap and I stopped, stuffing up the run of the dog behind me. Turns out the little monster was being a poo-brain and was fine. I felt terrible as the girl behind me is lovely and shows great sportsmanship! I made sure to appologise. She got it with her female anyway, so mustn't have stuffed her up too bad.

There are so many, I really am a terrible handler. I spend a lot of time watching my fellow handlers and know exactly what I should do but can never quite manage it on show day.

Once I had been watching someone in another breed casually throw the lead over their shoulder when they were stacking the dog on the table. I thought great idea, would solve my constant problem of getting the lead tangled in their legs (don’t ask). Come show day I place the dog on the table and casually throw the lead over my shoulder, it whips round my neck and gets caught and the dog on the table feels the pressure and attempts to jump off nearly choking me – judge had to rescue me and I had totally freaked the poor dog out

Not quite a handling blunder BUT i have been accused of being a bad sport after walking out of sweepies in tears. Clearly the two old biddies thought I was throwing an tanny over not winning- the reality was that my dog had gotten fed up with being baited (we were both still learning) and decided to snatch it out of my hand. She ripped the quick on my thumb and it HURT causing me to exit the ring with tears streaming down my face!!

Come show day I place the dog on the table and casually throw the lead over my shoulder, it whips round my neck and gets caught and the dog on the table feels the pressure and attempts to jump off nearly choking me – judge had to rescue me and I had totally freaked the poor dog out

:):):cry: OMG....laughing myself silly here !!!! waking OH and the dogs up !!!

You made such a great mental picture there !!!

fifi

Seen on Monday. Baby puppy runoff. 2 pups who had played together previously. Both about 14 weeks old.

Handler gave up and reverse positioned the boy, could not really call it a stack, loose lead. They kept trying to play then the boy did a huge launch which brought him to the end of the lead and caused him to back flip. It was so funny.

Judge ended up giving to girl as she stood still for a nano second. :eek::laugh: :p

There are so many, I really am a terrible handler. I spend a lot of time watching my fellow handlers and know exactly what I should do but can never quite manage it on show day.

Once I had been watching someone in another breed casually throw the lead over their shoulder when they were stacking the dog on the table. I thought great idea, would solve my constant problem of getting the lead tangled in their legs (don't ask). Come show day I place the dog on the table and casually throw the lead over my shoulder, it whips round my neck and gets caught and the dog on the table feels the pressure and attempts to jump off nearly choking me – judge had to rescue me and I had totally freaked the poor dog out

Oh we must be related cowanbree! I always get the lead tangled around myself or around the dog LOL

I have only been to four shows and have already had quite a few stuff ups.

My first show and I thought I had stacked my dog well until the judge came over, looked at my dog and said "you don't want his feet like that, do you?" He was doing a great impression of a ballerina. :laugh:

Third show and after trying very hard to get my very lazy dog to run around the ring I decided to use bait. The judge came to go over my dog and looked in his mouth and went "eww he has chicken stuck in his teeth". Note to self.... Do not give dog chicken in the ring immediately before the judge looks over the dog.

The first Mr Ellz made his handling debut when roped into taking an English Cocker bitch in for her class.

He somehow managed to get his thumb stuck in the ring of the choker and the judge had to help get him untangled! :laugh:

Over the years I've done the "base over apex" trick a few times....once most notably when I was about 7 months pregnant and showing a Saluki. Have also disabled various tables, place markers and even the odd steward or two! :(

Gossiping, not watching the judging -someone said "you're in for challenge".

Really embarrassed, grabbed the dog, threw the (slip) lead on, did a nice triangle, halted in front of the judge - lead seemed a bit loose, looked down. NO dog. Where's the flamin dog? Supposed to have a dog?

Dog was casually trotting along behind me.

Didn't get challenge. Sort of slunk out, hiding behind tufts of grass!!

Everyone laughed. Mongrels.

Oh.. my.. goodness. I'm just about to get into showing and all of these replies have made me so nervous haha! I'm sure I'll have something to contribute to this thread once I've been to my first show.. oh dear. Lol

Two words: Rescue Remedy.. :laugh:

One word - Rum :rofl:

or, two big glasses of chardy :rofl:

Edited by Jed