Vet`s Dispensing Fee

chadwick

Hi all,

Do vets not have a standard "dispensing fee" for medications?

The reason I ask is the vet we use charges $8 on top of medication price, another vet in close locality charges $18 for a "dispensing fee", while a third just up the road say they will provide the medication {stilboestrol} at half the other`s prices including the so called dispensing fee!! :)

Confused?

Me too ;)

'

It's up to the vets because each clinic will have different overheads. Some might put a much less mark up on their medications, but put a larger dispensing fee on.

I think it's pretty crazy putting $15+ on medications. I get that the computer programs and label printers are pretty expensive (we just got quoted for a printer which is supposedly the 'most compatible' with our software, for over $2k) but I think in that instance, you just suck it up. You could hand write the labels essentially and I don't necessarily think it's fair to charge a massive dispensing fee to justify all the spiffy software and hardware.

I'd rather charge people an extra $20 on top of their surgery fee and have an awesome high-tech anaesthetic monitor!!

Ours varies between $6 and $9 I think it is - $6 for if you just buy a standard box, or $9 if we have to count out pills, use seperate dispensing bags etc.

It's $11 where I work.

I think it's fair - it's not about the cost of the bags and labeling machine - a vet isn't supposed to just dispense a prescription medication, they should look into the history, why the animal is on the medication, when the animal was last seen, and quite often they might wish to discuss the effect of the medication with the client. All of this takes times, sure there might be the easy ones that take almost no time at all, but there are some that can end up taking up a large amount of a vets time (especially the essentially free consultation that is often had on the phone)

It's better than the human system where you have to go in and make and appointment with a doctor just to get a script for something you've been on for years... without bulk billing and medicare the vet system would seem soft!

Edited by Bindii

It's $11 where I work.

I think it's fair - it's not about the cost of the bags and labeling machine - a vet isn't supposed to just dispense a prescription medication, they should look into the history, why the animal is on the medication, when the animal was last seen, and quite often they might wish to discuss the effect of the medication with the client. All of this takes times, sure there might be the easy ones that take almost no time at all, but there are some that can end up taking up a large amount of a vets time (especially the essentially free consultation that is often had on the phone)

I see your point, but all of what you say should have {and did} take place during the $57 consultation, surely.

It`s not as though I walked in unanounced and asked for a prescription medicine without seeing a vet first.

I see your point, but all of what you say should have {and did} take place during the $57 consultation, surely.

It`s not as though I walked in unanounced and asked for a prescription medicine without seeing a vet first.

So you got charged a dispensing fee for new medications (or old ones that were again discussed) that were issued at a consult? I have to admit that I have never paid a dispensing fee, but I have never had an animal on a long term course that required reissuing meds.

So you got charged a dispensing fee for new medications (or old ones that were again discussed) that were issued at a consult? I have to admit that I have never paid a dispensing fee, but I have never had an animal on a long term course that required reissuing meds.

It was $57 for a consult, $10 for 3 stilboestral tabs and $8 dispensing fee.

I think it just depends on the vets fee structure.. a lot of vets I've gone to the dispensing fee is added to the medication cost and not a separate fee on the bill. For those with cheaper meds the costs have to come from somewhere else such as higher consult fees etc.

My usual vet clinic charged me $29.95 (from memory) for 50 cortisone tablets. The convenient vet clinic charged me $21 for 10 cortisone tablets. This same clinic previously did not charge me for 2 tablets as there "are only a couple of cents each"...

It's $11 where I work.

It's better than the human system where you have to go in and make and appointment with a doctor just to get a script for something you've been on for years... without bulk billing and medicare the vet system would seem soft!

Most of what you said comes under the consultation fee, I would think. The dispensing fee is about the drug handling - the counting of pills, printers, labels, dispensing bags.

When someone comes in for a repeat dose of medication, they generally don't require to be seen unless they haven't been in for the last 6 months or so. So the dispensing fee helps to pay for the nurses time entering date, counting up pills, typing labels etc.

I am surprised they write the dispensing fee down as a sep amount. Mostly its just part of the final amount.

And those who complain about dispensing fees, I hope you complain at your local Pharmacy too when buying your own medications.

I wasnt going to reply to this thread because I am sick of people whinging about vet clinic fees :mad They are a business people! Yes we want to help you and your animals as much as possible, but we cant do it if we cant make money!

*Vent over* :laugh:

I have never minded paying a dispensing fee when I go in to pick up tablets without a consult but I do strongly object to the local vets charging a $26 blood taking fee on top of the normal consult (which isn't cheap).

I have never minded paying a dispensing fee when I go in to pick up tablets without a consult but I do strongly object to the local vets charging a $26 blood taking fee on top of the normal consult (which isn't cheap).

:mad ouch!

Dispensing fees are a rip off.

Course - we should just do it out of the kindness of our hearts right (and out of our own pockets)?

Yes $8+ for a small zip lock bag, one white sticker label to go in it and the very difficult task of counting tablets is a rip off. I suppose you could also count the lifting of the pen to write the dogs name, dose and time on the expensive white sticker label as well.

Wish I could get paid $8+ each time I count a packet of S8 drugs at the end of each shift at work :mad cha ching.

Dispensing fees are a rip off.

Course - we should just do it out of the kindness of our hearts right (and out of our own pockets)?

Yes $8+ for a small zip lock bag, one white sticker label to go in it and the very difficult task of counting tablets is a rip off. I suppose you could also count the lifting of the pen to write the dogs name, dose and time on the expensive white sticker label as well.

Wish I could get paid $8+ each time I count a packet of S8 drugs at the end of each shift at work :mad cha ching.

Dosages have to be calculated as well for many drugs maybe you would like them tossed at you over the counter for you to work it all out yourself.

All this continual bitching about Vet fees gives me the shits, like any other business they have to make money and cover the very high overheads.

People bitch that that want every conceivable service available, they want the very best of everything, but it seems they want it all for nothing.

I think my vet is around $11 dollars now.

It is always included in the price of the drug.

I don't mind paying it as when I ring they have to get the vets to double check dose, last check up etc and sort out the medication. As my dog has a long term problem and is on 4 different prescription drugs, I just get the most I can for each drug each time I ask them for it, and I take him in for check ups as requested. I have been paying for 2 and now 4 different dispencing fees for nearly 3 years. It's just one of those things.

My vet doesn't charge a separate fee - must just add it into the overall charge for the medication...

That said - the same pills that used to cost $5.50 each a couple of years ago (10kg worming tabs) are now $9.00... errr! Wouldn't want to be worming a lot of large dogs at that cost...

T.