Whelping My Labrador

jamieson

Guest Pandii

While we are waiting can we have Pearls Prefix so we can help you name the litter

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To pass the time while we wait... have you got any photos of Pearl to share with us? and/or any of the prospective daddy (what's his name)?

T.

I will try to post a photo or 2,but im having some problems doing it.... I am a bit technologically challenged! Will attempt to do it tonight.

Jamieson there are people here who are wondering if you are a registered dog breeder or not. I think that you should be giving some indication about this rather than dodging the questions. This forum doesn't support back yard breeders.

Edited by blacklabrador

I don't get that the dog is only at 62 days gestation and has now had 3 visits to the vet and 3 internals. She isn't even overdue and she's been poked and prodded to the eyeballs. Every internal carries bactera from the outside to the inside and increases the risk of infection.

please don't let human compassion get in the way of predjuce against a byb.... either way ..... puppies are only a few days away. not much you can type here can change that.

if trouble does occur tho your advice could save a tiny life or not ...... papered or not.

please don't let human compassion get in the way of predjuce against a byb.... either way ..... puppies are only a few days away. not much you can type here can change that.

if trouble does occur tho your advice could save a tiny life or not ...... papered or not.

nothing to do with the OP but there must be other forums for byb's. in any case this forum is not for byb's

nothing to do with the OP but there must be other forums for byb's. in any case this forum is not for byb's

and I think we deserve to have a clear indication of what it is we are supporting.

and I think we deserve to have a clear indication of what it is we are supporting.

absolutely agree with this

I think you have your answer?

But jamieson is getting plenty of vet care thankfully (and rather uniquely in the history of threads posted by new members on the eve of a litter).

I wish the mum and pups luck and hope that the vets helping with the litter also do a good puppy desex rate. :eek:

But jamieson is getting plenty of vet care thankfully (and rather uniquely in the history of threads posted by new members on the eve of a litter).

I wish the mum and pups luck and hope that the vets helping with the litter also do a good puppy desex rate. :eek:

Its Jamieson here. Thought I needed to reply to a couple of posts... I have never used a forum like this before and my 2 dogs are purebreed and registered!!! However I do concede that I did not plan to breed at this time , however I am responsible for my male dog having access to Pearl as she had a very quiet heat and I missed the early stages. So no... not a planned litter, hence the confusion with dates etc. I have to say that I have really appreciated the very helpful and caring answeres of many very experienced people on this forum. However I wish some of you would read the posts more carefully'.... as I have never said Pearl has had 3 internals and she certainly has not been prodded and poked more than nessecary to make sure she is safe. If I had not taken her to the vet would you say that I was negligent and not caring for her and risking her and the puppies lives... I cant win really!

I am a very dedicated dog owner and my dogs and 2 cats are in top condition, live in my house and are part of our very loving family. I owned border collies years ago and had experince with whelping with them. Again they were very well cared for and I have some real knowlege. I think that people should feel safe to ask questions if it will assist an animal. I Know many registered breeders ( freinds) who have many questions when whelping arrives and even though very knowlegable they also are not afraid to ask for assistance to assist them and thier animals. I am not going to divulge any more about my identity at this time , I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of,however I will post some photos when I work out how to. I would like to stay with this thread and share the birth of Pearls pups with those of you who have been very interested and helpful.

Please drop the smart remarks , I just wanted to share my experience and get some good advice , not because I am clueless but because I thought this looked like a good place to post a thread and recive some intelligent answers.

Its Jamieson here. Thought I needed to reply to a couple of posts... I have never used a forum like this before and my 2 dogs are purebreed and registered!!! However I do concede that I did not plan to breed at this time , however I am responsible for my male dog having access to Pearl as she had a very quiet heat and I missed the early stages. So no... not a planned litter, hence the confusion with dates etc. I have to say that I have really appreciated the very helpful and caring answeres of many very experienced people on this forum. However I wish some of you would read the posts more carefully'.... as I have never said Pearl has had 3 internals and she certainly has not been prodded and poked more than nessecary to make sure she is safe. If I had not taken her to the vet would you say that I was negligent and not caring for her and risking her and the puppies lives... I cant win really!

I am a very dedicated dog owner and my dogs and 2 cats are in top condition, live in my house and are part of our very loving family. I owned border collies years ago and had experince with whelping with them. Again they were very well cared for and I have some real knowlege. I think that people should feel safe to ask questions if it will assist an animal. I Know many registered breeders ( freinds) who have many questions when whelping arrives and even though very knowlegable they also are not afraid to ask for assistance to assist them and thier animals. I am not going to divulge any more about my identity at this time , I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of,however I will post some photos when I work out how to. I would like to stay with this thread and share the birth of Pearls pups with those of you who have been very interested and helpful.

Please drop the smart remarks , I just wanted to share my experience and get some good advice , not because I am clueless but because I thought this looked like a good place to post a thread and recive some intelligent answers.

i think people are asking not just whether your dogs are registered but whther you are a registered breeder. can you let us know if you are a registered breeder because there is a difference between your dogs being registered and you being registered

snap blab

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Wonderful!

Cheering on a BYB litter of puppies... how ethical.

2 internals have been done on the bitch now.. and not even due.. pointless potential introduction of bacteria.

He is happy with her and apparently her vulva has odema ( sounds painful dosnt it)

Not to those who understand that oedema is simply the medical terminology for swelling (and swelling isn't necessarily painful).

and the other vet may have made a mistake about the dilation due to this.

Umm, how? Unless your vet has as little experience as you seem to with whelping, then I doubt any vet would say this as all bitches have a swollen vulva at the end of pregnancy... just like all female mammals do. A swollen vulva has nothign to do with a dilated cervix. The only way to know if the cervix IS dilated is to do an internal...

I wish the mum and pups luck and hope that the vets helping with the litter also do a good puppy desex rate. :provoke:

i think people are asking not just whether your dogs are registered but whther you are a registered breeder. can you let us know if you are a registered breeder because there is a difference between your dogs being registered and you being registered

snap blab

As yet I am not registerd as a breeder but my dogs are registered. I did not intend to breed my dogs at this stage, so have not become registered. However I am not a byb in it for profit and have had experince in the past as stated. So no these pups cant be registered but does that make them any differnt??? I will find very responsible homes for them. I think I have been very open here and appreciate what you are saying however I just wanted some sound birthing advice to assist Pearl and add to my prior knowlege. I trust my vet and you dont get better qualified than a good vet with a degree in animal science and experience to match. What else can I say?

Does this mean I cant access this forum? Because that would be a real shame given the wealth of knowlege and genuine care many people show for dogs here. I have enjoyed talking with people and have not quizzed anyone on their credentials!

I wish the mum and pups luck and hope that the vets helping with the litter also do a good puppy desex rate. :provoke:

snap blab

As yet I am not registerd as a breeder but my dogs are registered. I did not intend to breed my dogs at this stage, so have not become registered. However I am not a byb in it for profit and have had experince in the past as stated. So no these pups cant be registered but does that make them any differnt??? I will find very responsible homes for them. I think I have been very open here and appreciate what you are saying however I just wanted some sound birthing advice to assist Pearl and add to my prior knowlege. I trust my vet and you dont get better qualified than a good vet with a degree in animal science and experience to match. What else can I say?

Does this mean I cant access this forum? Because that would be a real shame given the wealth of knowlege and genuine care many people show for dogs here. I have enjoyed talking with people and have not quizzed anyone on their credentials!

honestly, any person who breeds dogs whose puppies cannot be registered is a BYB. no ifs and no buts.

also, what did both your dogs genetics contribute to the betterment of the breed?

what are their hip scores?

what guarentee will you give your puppy buyers?

what is your desexing policy?

there are many more questions like these that are asked of registered breeders

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Wonderful!

2 internals have been done on the bitch now.. and not even due.. pointless potential introduction of bacteria.

He is happy with her and apparently her vulva has odema ( sounds painful dosnt it)

Not to those who understand that oedema is simply the medical terminology for swelling (and swelling isn't necessarily painful).

Umm, how? Unless your vet has as little experience as you seem to with whelping, then I doubt any vet would say this as all bitches have a swollen vulva at the end of pregnancy... just like all female mammals do. A swollen vulva has nothign to do with a dilated cervix. The only way to know if the cervix IS dilated is to do an internal...

I know what odema is and he did not say all bitches have a swollen vulva at the end of pregnancy ( please read the post more carefully)! He said because of this it is easy to mistake dilation when doing an internal ( she has only had 1!) Im not sure where you are coming from now and you are clearly misreading my posts. Im sorry of I have offended you and feel that any more posts will me misread by you also. You really underestimate vets , perhaps you dont use them?

Just goes to show never assume anything on DOL -

a few pages back on 1 or 2,

I thought shall I ask if the OP is a registered breeder?

but then thought nah

must be

there are all these DOL groupies

probably someone knows the OP and the OP just doesn't know how to post on the breeder's forum ...........

but anyway here we are

and yes Jamieson you are welcome to post

but you will find that unreg breeders are not encouraged

and generally get less groupies :provoke:

not because they are inherently bad or care for their dogs less

but because there is an unwritten DOL ethos that is about improving the standards of dog breeding and dog ownerhsip.

As an unregisterd breeder, you counter that.

HOWEVER there is no need to go screaming into the night :wave:

An unregistered breeder can become a registered breeder

and there are always direct ways of doing thigns

as well as the long wayward way;

Im not against the latter, I seem to be prone to it.

What state are you in?

If you enjoy learning about dog breeding, then I think you will find being a registered breeder

and the knowledge circles this can impart -

to be beneficial and of long standing interest.

Edited by lilli

You haven't been open - you've avoided answering the question until you were pressed to do so. We understand that accidental litters happen but you do need to be up front with the entire situation if you want respect and support on this forum.

Regardless, I don't agree with the overmanagement so far of this litter - you've mentioned dilation 3 times after being to the vet - can I assume that the first was obtained from an ultrasound? She's had at least two and that is invasive physically and psychologically for a dog, particularly considering that she isn't even due for another day as you know by ultrasounds. Unfortunately each time you take her to the vet he is obligated to investigate.

You wanted intelligent input? Well that's my opinion. Six days of unnecessary investigations, 3 vets visits, based on a half degree drop in temperature when you know she's not even due until tomorrow. It hasn't been well managed so far. I hope things go better for you from here.

Edited by blacklabrador

Wonderful!

I know what odema is and he did not say all bitches have a swollen vulva at the end of pregnancy ( please read the post more carefully)! He said because of this it is easy to mistake dilation when doing an internal ( she has only had 1!) Im not sure where you are coming from now and you are clearly misreading my posts. Im sorry of I have offended you and feel that any more posts will me misread by you also. You really underestimate vets , perhaps you dont use them?

maybe have a read of the forum rules before you post anything that has a personal dig at forum members as it is not allowed.