What Does This Mean?

aussielover

I have just been looking on the puppies for sale section of DOL. There seem to be quite a few people with the phrase "no time wasters". What exactly does that mean? IMO it kind of implies that if you are not going to buy the puppy then don't bother calling.

I mean, surely if a person is interested or thinking about getting a pup, a breeder should be happy to discuss the breed, personality of the pups etc?

Am I a time waster if I am not 100% commttied to buying a puppy from that litter, or if I'm not 100% certain the breed is right for me?

I personally find it a bit rude, I found other breders who are more tactful saying things like "genuine enquires only" or "puppy farmers BYBers need not apply" etc.

Am I just being too sensitive?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to one thread on here you're a time waster if you reply to an advert advertising a brood bitch and want to know what her breeding is. :laugh:

I would say it's the same as 'serious enquiries only' but less polite.

ETA: I wouldn't bother responding to people like this if I was still just looking for breeds and ideas - go with someone who says help freely given and notes experience in the breed.

Edited by Sandra777

I don't think we can define it so easily as it means different things to different people.

To some it may mean exactly what you say "don't contact me unless you're definately going to buy the puppy" whereas others may simply state it to try and deter people who are asking for something which isn't available (which to my way of thinking is wasting the breeders time).

I'm sure most place this on their adverts without being too extreme about it but it's probably the product of a lot of bad experiences in the past. It does go both ways - breeders are usually pretty clear about what they are selling so I think the buyer needs to be quite clear about what they're looking for so the breeder can decide if it is a good match. I've read threads on here where potential buyers have hassled the breeder about what they want when they could have wound up the conversation within 2 minutes at the start when the breeder told them "I'm sorry, I don't have anything like that available" - it's totally a product of frustration I'm sure.

The breeder I have purchased from was great - she has a list of questions that she asks anyone who wants something from her to answer and from there she's able to advise if she can help - if not, she offers to contact other breeders she knows to see if they have what the buyer is looking for and I think the system works great.

I look at it this way.

I may well have something to sell and I'm perfectly willing to stay on the phone and discuss a potential puppy/adult placement or even just a general breed enquiry with somebody for hours if necessary.

BUT...I confess that I get really, really NARKY with people who enquire about something I am offering for sale when they have NO intention whatsoever of actually purchasing it, or if their only intention is to try and haggle, swindle or otherwise deal me out of my own possession simply because they think they can, or they want to.

Many people only have a half-hearted idea of whether they are interested and might just be testing the water, but they will still know if they are in a position to actually purchase the puppy/item etc offered and not just kick tyres or collect photos for the fun of it.

"No time wasters" translates for me to:

* Please dont try and haggle with me about the price of the pups, what register I want to put them on or the kinds of home I'm asking for them.

* Please don't ask me to spend an hour on the phone with you going through a whole bunch of stuff, say you'll get back to me then never call me again.

* Please don't put your name down for a pup and when its 8 weeks old say you're going overseas for 6 weeks and can I hang onto it for you (free of charge) or that you got one cheaper from the Trading Post last week.

Yeah, it may be a bit rude but gee some breeders get dicked around a fair bit.

Isn't it interesting that we think from a breeder 'no time wasters' might be a bit rude but if it was for a caravan or car advert we wouldn't think another thing of it?

If you have the money to buy it, your genuinely in the market to purchase it eg. ready now but need more information to clarify that you are making the right decision - your not a time waster in my opinion.

I'm sure if you hadn't decided the breed was for you and you rang and right up front said so but asked if the breeder had time to chat about their breed you also wouldn't be considered a time waster - anyway that's my 2 cents worth :laugh:

I've kicked a lot of breed tyres over the years.

I've been upfront about said tyre kicking and breeders have still been happy to talk to me. I figure people who give every impression they're committing to a pup and then back out or disappear must be infuriating.

Edited by poodlefan

I have just been looking on the puppies for sale section of DOL. There seem to be quite a few people with the phrase "no time wasters". What exactly does that mean? IMO it kind of implies that if you are not going to buy the puppy then don't bother calling.

I mean, surely if a person is interested or thinking about getting a pup, a breeder should be happy to discuss the breed, personality of the pups etc?

Am I a time waster if I am not 100% commttied to buying a puppy from that litter, or if I'm not 100% certain the breed is right for me?

I personally find it a bit rude, I found other breders who are more tactful saying things like "genuine enquires only" or "puppy farmers BYBers need not apply" etc.

Am I just being too sensitive?

I also use that as for me ( cant speak for others) certain persons want information and pedigree info and a lot of work for the breeder to do when they really have no intention of even looking at getting the dog. I have no problem with breed info and pics and education, but I have on a few ocassions been called and emailed by "friends" of "friends" who want info and wont call themselves as they know I would not give them the time of day nor a dog.

I believe best poilicy is to be upfront and honest, state what your intentions are and its not a waste of time for anyone. People also want to know why I charge what I do and why its so expensive and why why why ! I think most are just after a lesser price, and dont want the free desexing done before dogs leave here, I could go on and on but hope this explains my reasons.

I also breed rare birds and I find people want to come and see the birds just to see them, as they are worth a fair bit of money I dont want Tom Dick and harry at my house!

Thats my two bobs bit!

:laugh:

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

"No time wasters" translates for me to:

* Please dont try and haggle with me about the price of the pups, what register I want to put them on or the kinds of home I'm asking for them.

* Please don't ask me to spend an hour on the phone with you going through a whole bunch of stuff, say you'll get back to me then never call me again.

* Please don't put your name down for a pup and when its 8 weeks old say you're going overseas for 6 weeks and can I hang onto it for you (free of charge) or that you got one cheaper from the Trading Post last week.

Yeah, it may be a bit rude but gee some breeders get dicked around a fair bit.

Yeah thats what I meant to say well said Poodlefan!

:laugh:

as all above.

There is a major difference between phoning about the breed & phoning about a litter .

For example i have litter advertised.It states

1 purple( f limited)

1 pink (f show potential)

2 blues with spots(2 boys limited)

plus more detail ***********

Please dont ring & ask if i have a yellow polka dot or a purple boy on mains regarding that ad.

You get people who see pups advertised & think great lets take the kids out to play with the puppies & after you sat there for an hr they tell you ,there not interested we just wanted to see what they look like as pups or similiar.

Now obviously the litter advertised doesnt mean it will be the right match & any good breeder understands this BUT one presumes when they make contact about the litter advertised that they are wanting a pup & by contacting you its with the intent that hopefully you have a suitable pup .

To me it means ou are wanting to purchase now & are serious about doing the meet & greet & seeing if there is the right pup for you.

Actually a couple of years ago we placed an ad on DOL for an older dog.We where very specific about the home we where after

* no young kids

*retired couple

* wouldt sell east or export.

So the enquires we had where from the eats,people with young kids & not retired .

It is very frustrating when you put as much detail there as to not waste the time of joe public aswell yet they dont bother to take what is written serious & yes that is a time waster

I've kicked a lot of breed tyres over the years.

I've been upfront about said tyre kicking and breeders have still been happy to talk to me. I figure people who give every impression they're committing to a pup and then back out or disappear must be infuriating.

Exactly! Also, people who come and look at the puppies and THEN tell me they're really looking for a Toy or Miniature :laugh: - why come aand look at STANDARDS then?

I am happy to talk to people about my breed, and even happy for them to come & look at my puppies if they tell me upfront that they are just "tyrekicking" at the moment.

I am happy to talk to people about my breed, and even happy for them to come & look at my puppies if they tell me upfront that they are just "tyrekicking" at the moment.

I really should offload some of the books I accumulated tyre kicking. Have got The Complete Standard Poodle for one! :laugh: Great book!

I think time wasting is emailing them appearing very positive about the pup/dog, and then backing out and saying no thanks, not interested.

I talk to a lot of breeders of different dogs just to get an idea of what I may be getting into.

I see an ad for a nice looking litter from a nice looking mother, they put helpful and professional information in the ad, so i email them and ask about their breeding practises, how they feed, play and train, what their dog's health is like, what I'd pay for a pup, if I get a puppy pack, what homes would they look to sell to, etc etc.

It's just testing the waters for myself at this point but it's a step to go further.

I don't think I'm time wasting, I'm collecting valuable information to make an informed choice

I have one person who calls me for a dog EVERY time I have a litter.

I bred a litter in 99, 2000 x 2, 2004 and 2008. (and maybe another litter or two in there that I can't recall.)

but EVERY time he calls me and asks about the litters and the pups and if he can come and see them. I find new creative ways to put him off each time as I know he's wanting to check them out for some strange reason. I'm dreading the inevitable call that will come when the new litter is advertised.

THAT is just one definition of a time waster.

As a breeder I am only to happy to educate any one that enquires after my breed, wether they want a pup now or not ,what really gets to me is when people ring to come look @ the litter they bring uncle tom cobbly & all, its simply a day out for the family & the kids to see the cute little puppies .

I sincerly believe that some people believe we breeders have nothing else to do but entertain them !!!!!

I think time wasting is emailing them appearing very positive about the pup/dog, and then backing out and saying no thanks, not interested.

I talk to a lot of breeders of different dogs just to get an idea of what I may be getting into.

I see an ad for a nice looking litter from a nice looking mother, they put helpful and professional information in the ad, so i email them and ask about their breeding practises, how they feed, play and train, what their dog's health is like, what I'd pay for a pup, if I get a puppy pack, what homes would they look to sell to, etc etc.

It's just testing the waters for myself at this point but it's a step to go further.

I don't think I'm time wasting, I'm collecting valuable information to make an informed choice

See i see that as time wasting because you could email that breeder without having a litter advertised to ask all those questions & get a feel for the future & ask what planned litters they have etc etc & pursue from there.

See i see that as time wasting because you could email that breeder without having a litter advertised to ask all those questions & get a feel for the future & ask what planned litters they have etc etc & pursue from there.

I don't mention the litter apart from maybe a "I saw your litter advertised on....I'm not looking for a pup right now, but I am interested in the breed and would like to know more about your........because your dogs look very healthy"

Unless they have a seperate email for litter enquires I don't see how I'm wasting their time

I don't mention the litter apart from maybe a "I saw your litter advertised on....I'm not looking for a pup right now, but I am interested in the breed and would like to know more about your........because your dogs look very healthy"

Unless they have a seperate email for litter enquires I don't see how I'm wasting their time

I email people who state they are interested in the breed a questionaire which has q few simple questions about the reed and why this is the breed for you, also a few tips etc, if I dont get the questionire back I know they couldnt have been interested really anyway!

I am simply replying to what you wrote & the topic.

You didnt mention what you have written now