What Does This Mean?

aussielover

In all fairness, I have always been treated very well by breeders. The Belgian people especially.

The white Shepherd people have neatly tucked me under their wing and are an extremely helpful and outgoing lot. I enjoy shows and looking at the ladies with strange 80's attire sipping their Spumante, they are lovely folk and really enjoyed talking to me about their dogs and the showing lifestyle.

I dont have time for rude controlling people who dont relate to humans, perhaps that is why I havent had a bad experience :)

Edited by Chewbacca

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not all you said :) you said At the moment the scene is very uninviting and But IMO showies and breeders need to be more friendly and inviting and breeders don't return their emails and they aren't helpful on the phone

That's not speaking highly of dog shows or exhibitors/breeders is it now???

I like showies, and I like breeders. That is why I get my dogs from registered breeders and that is why I am getting a show dog. I've had insanely good fortune with the breeders I have chosen.

But for newbies entering the dog world, some breeders can be unfriendly, and some exhibitors can be unhelpful. Sorry, I should have said some in my previous posts. My bad.

I understand Spotty and I'm glad you're going to enter the show world with your next baby ;)

I will be armed with pamphlets, so watch out :laugh:

ETA: If you are getting a pup from Ashanali's next litter and are showing him/her then I will definitely see you around.

No Pointer puppy for me but no doubt I'll see you around a show sometime :D pamplets and all :cool:

That's not all you said :) you said At the moment the scene is very uninviting and But IMO showies and breeders need to be more friendly and inviting and breeders don't return their emails and they aren't helpful on the phone

That's not speaking highly of dog shows or exhibitors/breeders is it now???

I like showies, and I like breeders. That is why I get my dogs from registered breeders and that is why I am getting a show dog. I've had insanely good fortune with the breeders I have chosen.

But for newbies entering the dog world, some breeders can be unfriendly, and some exhibitors can be unhelpful. Sorry, I should have said some in my previous posts. My bad.

I understand Spotty and I'm glad you're going to enter the show world with your next baby :)

I will be armed with pamphlets, so watch out :laugh:

ETA: If you are getting a pup from Ashanali's next litter and are showing him/her then I will definitely see you around.

No Pointer puppy for me but no doubt I'll see you around a show sometime :D pamplets and all :cool:

You should :D

Err misread ashanali's post ;) :) :p Too distracted by a bunny running behind the fridge :o :o

Thats great news Spotty re the new addition, I think once in the "other world" you will see it from that side, I am far to casual to really comment on the getting the dogs ready before a show etc as really I have nothing to get ready! lol

I will look forward to seeing you NSW DOL ers at the Spring Fair this year

:)

Me me! and, have you got Bracco Italiano, English foxhound or Portugese water dog?? seeing as I have been kicking this lot for several years :cool: maybe I should get some books :):):o I'm always upfront, and I've never looked at pups or rung about pups. but I have visited and asked re breeds. many times! Poor Bracco breeder.............. :D

Sadly Monah, I have two of those three - Bracco and PWD. ;) If Troy permits a dog related classies in General, I'll advertise a heap but will give you first dibs on those if you like.

:laugh: sorry to invade this topic, but PF, I'd love them.!!!! PM and I'll fix you up!!! :o :p

I am on the other side of the spectrum. What about breeders being time wasters. Our family had waited for a pup, ready to be picked up and 3 days before I got a call from the breeder to advise that the pup had an undershot bite. I ask, why wasn't I advised earlier. I contacted my vet on later learning that the entire litter had the same problem and she advised us to steer clear of this pup. I call that time wasting too.

How on earth is that time wasting? Obviously you are not aware of how many things can change from the time pups are born till they are ready to go. Be glad the breeder was honest with you. Allow me to suggest you need to go find the mythical breeders with the perfect puppy tree out in the back yard :)

It's a labour of love for most breeders and some also hold down a full time job. Not everyone has time to talk to people at length in between keeping house, having a relationship with your family and friends and making sure all your dogs are happy and healthy and doing all the work involved in competing in conformation and other dog sports. I have no idea how breeders with kids and a full time job do it - I take my hat off to them.

I think a clear message on a website indicating what form of initial contact you prefer is a great idea. I personally hate the phone for initial inquiries and far prefer email because then I can manage my very limited time properly. Being interrupted at home by the phone after spending 9 hours in the office at work is a pain. I believe I am polite but I'm sure I sound tired and less than enthusiastic. Speaking as a club official, I get the impression that some people forget that others have to work full time for a living.

Perhaps what might help is directing people who aren't sure they want that breed to the relevant breed 101 thread here first, and suggesting they come back after having done some research of their own.

I am on the other side of the spectrum. What about breeders being time wasters. Our family had waited for a pup, ready to be picked up and 3 days before I got a call from the breeder to advise that the pup had an undershot bite. I ask, why wasn't I advised earlier. I contacted my vet on later learning that the entire litter had the same problem and she advised us to steer clear of this pup. I call that time wasting too.

How on earth is that time wasting? Obviously you are not aware of how many things can change from the time pups are born till they are ready to go. Be glad the breeder was honest with you. Allow me to suggest you need to go find the mythical breeders with the perfect puppy tree out in the back yard :)

So agree in some breeds mouths can change so quickly & this breeder phoned you & was honest & upfront.

Would you have preferred they didnt tell you ??

How did this digress to behaviour at shows?

Trouble is, the public sees a lot of people sitting/standing around, and want to begin a conversation. Those people are intently watching their dog or their friend's dog in the ring, or watching to see when they will be called for group.

And if they begin a conversation with someone, they will probably miss their class.

The public doesn't understand that, why should they?

And they should be nicked off nicely and appropriately. It doesn't take much to say "hang on, I'm going into the ring in a minute, that's my gazebo over there, the one with the pile of empties out the front and the prawn chowder cooking, come on over later, love to talk to you then"

I was in a sweepstakes not long ago - the usual 50 entries, dog stacked on the long side away from the table. A nice family came over - kids having a night out - and wanted to pat the doggy, and have a conversation. All good with me, except the dog wanted to climb over the rope and lick 'em to death, the pup beside me was having a heart attack, his owner ditto.

"Hang on, we are in a class now, that odd looking old bloke in the middle is actually the judge, and my dog is supposed to be paying attention. I'll be finished in a minute, and will come and talk to you."

Off they went. They had no idea there was judging going on.

But - exhibitors are nervous, don't want to spend the time explaining, and they want the distraction to go away. They probably yearned all week for this minute, it cost them $100 in immediate fees, they are in with a chance, and someone is going to distract them and make them miss their chance.

See it from both sides, folks, see it from both sides.

People can't tell what is going on at a show.

How on earth is that time wasting? Obviously you are not aware of how many things can change from the time pups are born till they are ready to go. Be glad the breeder was honest with you. Allow me to suggest you need to go find the mythical breeders with the perfect puppy tree out in the back yard :(

It seems that you have this vendetta against me, and honestly, there is no need to be sarcastic. I call it time wasting because the breeder waited until almost the last moment to tell me. I waited through two pregnancies from this particular bitch because, yes, I did want a pup out of her but it was not to be. I was only attempting to show the other side, but obviously you don't like the idea and try to shoot me down in flames. Yes, I am glad that the breeder was honest, and told her so but on my vet's advice I walked away. I did not knowlingly want to buy into a potential problem, and that's my perogative, but the bite would have been noticed before. Again on my vet's advice, and I should have been informed then.

It seems that you have this vendetta against me, and honestly, there is no need to be sarcastic. I call it time wasting because the breeder waited until almost the last moment to tell me. I waited through two pregnancies from this particular bitch because, yes, I did want a pup out of her but it was not to be. I was only attempting to show the other side, but obviously you don't like the idea and try to shoot me down in flames.

Oh dear :( you are precious. You WILL learn, hang around :)

How on earth is that time wasting? Obviously you are not aware of how many things can change from the time pups are born till they are ready to go. Be glad the breeder was honest with you. Allow me to suggest you need to go find the mythical breeders with the perfect puppy tree out in the back yard :(

It seems that you have this vendetta against me, and honestly, there is no need to be sarcastic. I call it time wasting because the breeder waited until almost the last moment to tell me. I waited through two pregnancies from this particular bitch because, yes, I did want a pup out of her but it was not to be. I was only attempting to show the other side, but obviously you don't like the idea and try to shoot me down in flames. Yes, I am glad that the breeder was honest, and told her so but on my vet's advice I walked away. I did not knowlingly want to buy into a potential problem, and that's my perogative, but the bite would have been noticed before. Again on my vet's advice, and I should have been informed then.

Sorry but I don't agree! Bites can change very rapidly, infact a friend had a litter and when they were vaccinated/vet checked etc and at the same time the breeder was assessing them herself everything was fine. Under 1 week later the bite had changed so I'm sorry but you're wrong and so is the vet!

Edited by Aziah

but the bite would have been noticed before. Again on my vet's advice, and I should have been informed then.

Sorry but I don't agree! Bites can change very rapidly, infact a friend had a litter and when they were vaccinated/vet checked etc and at the same time the breeder was assessing them herself everything was fine. Under 1 week later the bite had changed so I'm sorry but you're wrong and so is the vet!

So agree your vet is wrong & not surprising these days.

Many vets seriously have no clue which is very scary

In the Horse world we refer to them (time wasters) as "HoofKickers". There are those people out there who are looking for a horse but will insist on 'trying out' some top dollar horses that they couldn't afford and are out of there budget, Why? Probably the only chance they'll have to ride a top competition horse? Who knows.

As to dogs it's really a fine line because you may talk to a number of breeders before you finally settle on a purchase or make definite arrangements. You are not necessarily wasting time (and if you are you are also wasting your own but I prefer to think of it as an investment in your potential purchase) so in essence you have wasted the time of the breeders you didn't buy from but I'm sure it's better for people to make a thoughtful decision rather than an emotional one when purchasing a dog.

Edited by LizT

Showdog, thank for setting me straight on this. I honestly didn't know, and when unsure, you go to the supposed experts. What the vet was concerned about was that the entire litter was involved and I didn't want possible ongoing problems.

That is why the breeder informed you.I gather you where given options ???

Your vet told you the breeder was nob & when infact the vet was a nob.

We breed a litter where we ended up with 2 bad bites,never been an issue for us bfore & highly unexpected,we used a new dog who hand t produced in Oz before,the buyers upon the change where informed of what had happened,what the future would be & to think on it.

Both cases they took the pup,1 the mouth came good the other didnt & required 2 teeth removed.They where fully aware & both where top lawyers.

many vets have less expertise than a good breeder

Azian :(

We groomed a dog last week where the vet told them it would grow to be huge.

The dog is 13 months,bottom of the height standard & will not grow anymore but will fill out.

These people where concerned & ask us first before they where going to call the breeder & say who knows what.

Showdog, thank for setting me straight on this. I honestly didn't know, and when unsure, you go to the supposed experts. What the vet was concerned about was that the entire litter was involved and I didn't want possible ongoing problems.

That is why the breeder informed you.I gather you where given options ???

Your vet told you the breeder was nob & when infact the vet was a nob.

We breed a litter where we ended up with 2 bad bites,never been an issue for us bfore & highly unexpected,we used a new dog who hand t produced in Oz before,the buyers upon the change where informed of what had happened,what the future would be & to think on it.

Both cases they took the pup,1 the mouth came good the other didnt & required 2 teeth removed.They where fully aware & both where top lawyers.

many vets have less expertise than a good breeder

Azian :(

We groomed a dog last week where the vet told them it would grow to be huge.

The dog is 13 months,bottom of the height standard & will not grow anymore but will fill out.

These people where concerned & ask us first before they where going to call the breeder & say who knows what.

Seriously, some vets just have no idea, some are brilliant and worth their weight in gold, if you find a good one people, hang on to them!