Will Pup Ever Cry To Go Out To Pee?

sallyandtex

Hi,

Old dog used to stand at door and cry to go out to toilet.

Pup 7 months goes outside only when taken "wee wee" and she goes GREAT!, but will happily pee on carpet inside if we don't catch her in time :laugh: .

Is this normal?

Will she ever let us know like our old boy?

TA

Guest Pandii

Maybe not, I have an adult Shar Pei who wont let me know he needs to pee, although he wont go inside he does wait for me to take him outside, rather than let me know when he needs to go out

Maybe, maybe not.

I have never owned a dog that asks to be let out to pee. And that would be because when they are inside (which is all night and on and off during the day) I always ensure I let them out for an empty before they are busting to go. I guess just the way I hve always done it.

Some does and some doesn't.

My boy, Charlie, will let me know when he wants to go outside to do his business. He goes to the back door and paw it, if no one can hear him, he will let out a bark or whinge (usually whinge). If he does this, we know that he is busting to go.. becasue he is very good at holding it in. He hasn't pee or poo in a house since he was 12 weeks. He wasn't a normal pup :laugh:

You could teach her to ring a bell if she wants to go out. Very annoying the ones that won't say a word LOL. I have one that will go and stare at the door, but unfortunately we can't see the door from anywhere we're likely to be sitting in the house so we only know when we realise we haven't seen her for 5 or 10 minutes :laugh:

I agree with Sandra, a bell for them to ring to go out so you can hear them is a great idea. I have one also who sits at the door but doesn't make a sound now she rings a bell it works great and the other dogs have worked it out too and I didn't even have to teach them!! Good Luck.

The bell I use is just like a mini cow bell hung on the door at doggy nose height, You could use any bell I think as long as the sound of it doesn't drive you mad every time it rings, mine is kind of a subtle tone if that makes sense. I didn;t read anything about teaching the bell method, I just did what suited my dog and that was when she was due to toilet, I tapped her foot on the bell and out for a wee and that was it, she got it more or less right away and by the next night she was ringing it herself to go out. I was pleased she piicked it up so quick and the others learnt off Tully so it is a win win especially during the night if I am asleep, if she wants to go she touches the bell and I wake up, its so easy and fool proof really!!

I just had a look at the links to teaching the bell method and It all looks good but much more complicated than how I did it. I think if you have a smart pup she will catch on very quickly which ever way you do it!!

I have two 6 month ACDs. One female scratches at the door or stands at it to go outside, like her mother does but the male as yet does not. I have to be vigilant in letting him out every couple of hours. I live in hope.

Just my 2c, but if your puppy is smart enough to be taught to ring a bell to go outside, then it should be even easier for it to do something natural (bark,whine/whinge) to be let out.

IMO, if you use a bell there is no back up plan. For example, what if bell breaks/falls off or if you take the dog away/friends house and don't have a bell what will the puppy do? If he has become reliant on a bell, the poor thing will not know what do do next :laugh:

The good thing about a natural alert, wether it be barking/whining is that it will only get louder/longer until it gets your attention :confused:

Our pup (8 months now) was a lazy bugger, he used to walk to the back door and just sit there and stare back at us like we were his royal servants expecting the door to be opened for him. For a while we made the mistake of doing this, but then we realised if he ever needed to go at 3am in the morning, he could not just stare at us (he sleeps ground floor, we sleep upstairs).

It took a couple of weeks to perfect, but now he walks to the door and starts whining to be let it. I still make it a point that he has to whine loud enough to be heard otherwise its not good enough and I won't let him out. Even just this morning, I thought I heard a whine but was busy....next thing I hear a loud sharp bark. There he was at the back door giving me the hurry up (I need to do a crap :)) look.

Our pup (8 months now) was a lazy bugger, he used to walk to the back door and just sit there and stare back at us like we were his royal servants expecting the door to be opened for him. For a while we made the mistake of doing this, but then we realised if he ever needed to go at 3am in the morning, he could not just stare at us (he sleeps ground floor, we sleep upstairs).

Hi wotan - our puppy is exactly the same as that. He goes to the door and waits for us but doesn't make a sound. How did you train your dog to make a sound without having a lot of messes along the way? I guess right now our default is to let him out so that we don't have a mess in the house but it really would be great if he could make some sort of sound to let us know he wants to relieve himself rather than just standing by the door. Our puppy is almost 11 weeks now and for the last week or so, has not had any messes. Thanks heaps!

Hi wotan - our puppy is exactly the same as that. He goes to the door and waits for us but doesn't make a sound. How did you train your dog to make a sound without having a lot of messes along the way? I guess right now our default is to let him out so that we don't have a mess in the house but it really would be great if he could make some sort of sound to let us know he wants to relieve himself rather than just standing by the door. Our puppy is almost 11 weeks now and for the last week or so, has not had any messes. Thanks heaps!

Are your back doors to the yard glass/see through?

Edited by wotan

My first GSP would come to where ever I was and do a little "I want to go wee" dance, very cute and the more busting he was the the quicker he jigged around!

New GSP pup just waits patiently at the door and I only know he is there because he isn't with me (he's a very clingy dog so usually right by my side).

The bell thing on the door is a good idea though......we actually have a wind chime thingy on the hall stand next to the door (wasn't put there intentially, was placed there one day for some reason and its just never been moved) but quite often as he walks past it to go to the door it will make noise (old floor boards so everything moves!) and if I am close buy I hear it and know thats he's there....maybe something like that could work?

• 2 weeks later...

we have had a lot of dogs in my day

and only one..our latest cries to go out

he will actually give a whine and paw at our bedroom door...very lightly to let us know hes busting

such a good boy now

he sleeps on his own couch on the landing with a blanket and never stirs til he needs to go and thats around the 6 am mark

all of the others...we just have to time them so when the boy on the landing has to go i haul the others out of bed except for the old bitch who sleeps with our daughter ..this oldie is part camel and can hold her bladder for ever lol so i dont bother rousing her from her royal grumpiness but the boys all get pulled out from under the covers and made to march downstairs to the garden even if they have given no signal

i know there are ways to teach your dog to signal with a paw on a bell but ive never bothered...maybe if i had a working breed or something super clever but thats not our lot...lol...so we just do it my way and that suits us fine!

Question about the bell training. Would they ding the bell when they just wanted to go out to play ?

None of mine bark to go out. 2 scratch the door & whine, 1 runs to the door & back to me tail wagging & 2 just keep coming up to me & staring intensely until I ask do you want a piddle, then tail wags & they go to the door.