Help- Ramses Over Ate...have A Few Questions

I put the food buckets inside and went out with Ramses on the verandah today. Came home he is giant, somone (wont point fingers :laugh: :D :eek::rofl: ) has put the buckets back outside while ramses is still out there. So he has eaten heaps of his food as he doesnt have a stop button! Then my stupid partner has gone and fed him his night time meat on top of that!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D ;) :)

Question is, let him have access to water or not? ATM he is confined in the dog run with only his kennel and a blanket. He has had a vomit, but being a lab has eaten it back up before I got a chance to get him away from it. Ive never see his belly so hard!

Spoilt he will be very thirsty and gulp water if you give him access to it. When this has happened with my dogs (okay with T BONE the bloody food stealing vacuum) I have limited his water intake - making sure he has no access to toilets either as his water seeking behaviour increases. I give him about half a cup of water regularly so he's staying hydrated but not filling his tummy and increasing his chances of bloat.

I also keep him very quiet - usually crated and I have him sleeping in close vicinity so I will be woken if he starts to try to vomit. There's no way I'd have him outside in a kennel as I would miss the warning signs of bloat. Once the extremely stinky farts start he gets kicked out to the other end of the house where I can still hear him but not smell him. :laugh:

Edited by blacklabrador

I was going to crate him but then thought about when he starts pooping it out....Other times when he has done this ive just given him half a bowl of water and let him be, monitoring him but not freaking out about it. However as far as I remember he hasnt ever been this fat! So am not sure.

I have been going to check on him every few mins see how he is.

If it is dry food then he will definately need some water to get it through the system. If it is raw etc then he won't need as much.

I would be offering a little water but he has probably got an awful tummy ache.

I gave him small amounts of water frequently throughout the night and this morning he looks pregnant and sore and sorry for himself.

Futuredogtrainer- he has done this a few times before and my vet has told me what to look out for and when to call. I was only worried about wether or not to give him water because he hadnt eaten so much in one go before.

Bloody labradors! If its not his own food, he raids the bin! Sometimes I wish food drive was non existent.

Sorry to hear about Ramses food frenzy, its the one thing that I am not keen on with labradors. The constant search for food, whether its edible or not with Mokha. I hope by tonight he is feeling a lot better. I am glad I am not the one who will be on poo patrol at your house today. :(

If this is a frequent event maybe you should keep some Lectric on hand. You buy it from the laundry aisle in the supermarket, it looks like rock salt. If he eats something you dont want him to put a couple of large crystals down his throat and take him outside, he should sick it up within about 5 - 10 minutes. This information was given to me by a vet but you might want to get your own vets opinion on it first.

I would have thought that some "evacuation" would have taken place this morning after the night before especially when it comes to dry food. Do not withhold water, whatever you do. I would be ringing a vet or two (given that I am partial to a 2nd opinion) and ask for advice. I would think that they would suggest the same. Dry food without water can be lethal. I really don't think that labs are as predisposed to bloat as, say a, great dane or a dobe.

Oh yeh its started. Its horrible! He goes and his stomach goes down a bit then he blows back up and goes again. The farts ewwww!!!!

He isnt panting or anything which is good, last time he did was a 40 degree day and he wasnt well. He has been seperated from the other dogs to prevent them playing and fighting and twisting and turning. Give his gut a chance to process it.

He will be so devo without his dinner...too bad so sad i say right now! :hug:

:) my brain is fried - I meant to suggest a couple of de gas capsules,and an acidopholus capsule as well..as soon as possible after the pig-out.

Hamlet occasionally does this- and the de gas certainly make a BIG difference!!

Will store that info for the future Pers!

He is almost back to normal now. Only I now have to put him on a diet to get him back to where he was.

This was him on Sunday Morning about 11.30am. We had family photos and he was supposed to be looking healthy and good instead he looks bloated and fat and a tad uncomfortable. At least he performed well and loved having the kids over!

RamsandKids.jpg

Our family Lab (in the USA) used to go down the street every year on trash pickup day after Thanksgiving and gorge on leftover turkey. The farts were awwfulll but that was the worst problem. Labs have been known to bloat, and it's not a laughing matter.

But lots of Labs overconsume without horrid consequences.

Oh yeh its started. Its horrible! He goes and his stomach goes down a bit then he blows back up and goes again. The farts ewwww!!!!

He isnt panting or anything which is good, last time he did was a 40 degree day and he wasnt well. He has been seperated from the other dogs to prevent them playing and fighting and twisting and turning. Give his gut a chance to process it.

He will be so devo without his dinner...too bad so sad i say right now! :laugh: