Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Some mornings I have to wake Kuma up for his walkies... then he'll collapse on the rug inside and not want to go. I make him, coz if he doesn't have his morning walk, then we und up with destructo dog.

Mostly, coz he sleeps outside he can entertain himself in the morning if we're sleeping in. Mind you, a sleep in around our place is 7:00 am. Couple of country kids here! :D

Bummer Wuffles... I could use a walking companion!

Re drying - we have a microfibre towel we use to soak up as much water as possible and then use my old hair dryer. It's a challenge coz he's such a fluffy dog! Last time we washed him we did it at one of those drive in car and dog wash places... he LOVED the dryer! He was lifting his little legs up to dry his pits, and was quite happy to be blow dryed. It was SO funny. We ran out of coins, so we ended up with a semi-dry dog. Takes him about two hours to be completely dry.

:D They've got to be ticklish, methinks. I was just srcubbing James dry with a towel and while he normally tries to snatch it off me to chew, he just lay there contentedly as I rubbed him under the arms.

I envy the ability to walk early! James has to be walked after 8am, at least, so we encounter just a few dogs. Much easier to control that way.

KTB, James is just over 9 months. I'm pretty sure Ruby is at least 1-2 months younger?

I've spent most of my life in QLD and I'm still not used to the heat. I think there's something particularly awful about Brisbane, though. I spent a couple of years in Charters Towers (drier) and Townsville (muggier) growing up and neither affected me quite so much as Brisbane does. James is loving the soggy backyard. I shall have to wander down later this afternoon and take some photos of the flooded road and park.

j1110.jpg

Yes, I am very cute...

jhello.jpg

"HELLLOOO!?!"

Something that may help you... my two don't get flea treatment and I've never seen a flea on either of them even though they interact with other dogs all the time. Our vet said not to bother because flea infestations are rare in Canberra and even if they get one or two you can give them a Capstar tablet. The only time mine get a flea/tick treatment is if we're planning a trip to the coast. Or if you really want, you can give Sentinel Spectrum which covers all worming plus flea birth control, it ends up lots cheaper in the long run! Saves us a lot of money...

Interesting!

I'm a bit unsure of how to handle the flea issue myself. The cats get flea treated once a year when they come home from the cattery, just in case. Though I've never seen a flea on any of them. They are inside cats (though they have an outdoor enclosure they get to from a cat door in the window of the spare room) and don't go anywhere to pick up fleas. I wonder though, since dogs are more likely to pick them up and bring them home, should I then start regularly flea treating all the furries in the house?

This morning we woke up and discovered that our poor puppy seems to have thrown up overnight and also wet his bed - which is really weird because he hasn't done that since he was a tiny puppy. I don't think he was in his crate too long. He doesn't seem unwell in any way.

One possibility is that in the middle of the night last night, the neighbour's two dogs went absolutely insane and started barking and howling like crazy. They've just put in some sort of aviary/chicken coop and it is possible that the birds attracted a fox which would explain why their dogs went crazy. Maybe Elbie woke up abruptly/was frightened and wet himself but I just don't know. It's a bit concerning. :D Like I said, he doesn't seem unwell at all so it doesn't warrant a trip to the vet. If he does it again tonight then we'll consider a vet check. Are 8 month puppies prone to have the occasional bedwetting accident? :cheer:

Poor Elbie!

Ha! We walk at 5:30 am NOW! I'm the only idiot out in our suburb at that time... :laugh:
Ha! We walk at 5:30 am NOW! I'm the only idiot out in our suburb at that time... :laugh:

Ahhh, we go 6am now, that half an hour makes a lot of difference! :laugh: Do you live near us? :laugh:

The walking issue will be interesting here. As in when to walk. OH is a shiftworker, and since I only work one day a week I adjust my schedule to his. So one week I am up at 4:30am and in bed around 8pm, and the other week I am up around 9:30am and in bed around 1am or 2am. I'd like (eventually, especially when it's hot here) to be able to go for walks around 5am on early weeks and midnight-ish on late weeks. No idea how the dog will adjust to such a weird shedule though.

Anyone's dogs watch tv? My cat Jinx always races to the tv when there are birds on it. Even when I mute the sound she will try to catch them.

post-34642-1286765544_thumb.jpg

Anyone's dogs watch tv? My cat Jinx always races to the tv when there are birds on it. Even when I mute the sound she will try to catch them.

One of mine has no interest in the TV unless it's a cat miaowing, then he has to go check the front door, back door, windows to see where the pesky thing is.

Ava watches all kinds of things on TV. She likes dogs and other animals but will also sit and watch sport (cricket, soccer, diving yesterday), action movies and ads she deems interesting. She actually tracks people and items across the screen with her eyes, it's amazing :D

Marley & Me was on TV not too long ago and Mars saw Marley and started wagging his tail at the TV.

I've got a pic of him watching the 7pm project when he was younger. :D Will post it when I get home.

He also gets very confused when OH is playing one of his games and it has a dog barking in it, he either runs and hides or tries to look for the dog which isn't there....

Kuma is not a fan of the Dog Whisperer. He will even start barking if he can see the dogs from outside! He'll also get agitated when some of the rural ads are on TV. Oh, and the nature doccos (or ads for said doccos)...

He will calmly sit and watch the footy or the cricket.

James watches TV when there are other dogs on. And when they had sheep on Sunrise a few weeks ago he sat there entranced.

Last night was the first time he showed an interest in something non-animal but I can't remember what it actually was! I think it was someone humming or singing or something similar.

I was watching the x factor on the weekend, and ike sat in front of the TV barking every time they started singing... it was fricken hilarious

lol ok in my defence, i was channel surfing and i got up to go to the kitchen and all i heard was him barking and howling, so i went to see what was going on and sure enough my little man was singing along lol

Hi foxyboi and welcome :laugh:

So.. inspired by a comment wuffles made, I thought I would take some pictures of my pups' "nose art"

Sorry about the reflections, lousy sunlight making it difficult!

Anyone else have "nose art" in their car or even at home?

DSC_0348.jpgDSC_0347.jpg

Edited by Clastic

Wow your dogs are morning dogs, Deakin sleeps outside so that might help and watson who currenty spends his nights in the main bathroom generally will get a toilet break around 5 when someone leaves for work but he goes back to sleep well and doesn't make a sound untill the rest of the house starts rising and neither get a walk in the morning unless they are going to be left alone for the rest of the day.

No Tv watching dogs here though when deakin was a puppy and that torchwood episodes about the children and aliens was on I was watching it late at night and the first few times the children went crazy deakin would start up a sort of howl barkything and get right up close to the tv

neither dog here gets flea treatment as I was told its rare for a dog to get fleas in canberra and so far our previous dog never had fleas, deakin hasn't had a flea and :laugh: neither he nor Watson will get them

Hi Foxyboi I must have missed your first post as my computer has gone spaz but what breed is Ike and how old? pictures?