She Is Humping Him... What Can I Do?

I really need some help to understand this.. Its funny to see but I want to make sure its not something 'more'

Missy our 1 year old Pom is ALWAYS trying to hump Mr Fluffy our male 1.4year old Pom.

He is a bit taller then her so sometimes she gripps on to his middle and her feet will be off the ground.

Most of the time he just stands/sits/lays and takes it. Other times he does a little growly to get her to back off.

Another thing she does is 'dig' into his belly or side while he is laying down.

Should I be concerned? Is it ok for this to occur?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks heap!

Sonia

Why not stop her from humping by distracting her and removing her from the other dog?

No humping is allowed in this house. They're not allowed to hump eachother or anything else. Humping is bad dog manners and if they try it on with a dominant dog, if they go to an off leash park you will have a dog fight on your hands.

The problem is my OH doesnt see the 'harm' in the behavior.

I know it is dominate behavior but he just sees it as funny (which it does look funny.. but thats not the point lol)

Poor Mr Fluffy is feeling at the bottom of the doggy rung and I think it is troubling him eg, he growls at my OH when Im home but when Im not there its all good.

I try to explain to my OH that we have to treat the dogs the same but he thinks because his dog isnt showing any bad behavior to people that she is ok.

She is allowed on the bed, couch and gets to eat if she begs.

Mr Fluffy is only allowed on the couch if I pick him up to hug him and then always put him back down. Not allowed on the bed and is only allowed to eat food in his bowl at my command.

I believe the humping she is doing is an effect of being 'pushed up the ladder' by my OH and not being on the same level as Mr Fluffy. What goes for 1 dog should go for the other.

Can anyone back me up on this theory and give me some facts I can tell my OH to get him to take the situation more seriously?

I need to add that originally I spoilt Mr Fluffy and when his started acting like he owned the place I began to put him in his place and treat him more like a dog. I really want to bring both dogs back to basics and then go on from there once we have both under control.

Thanks again!

Sonia

I consulted a behaviouralist about this behaviour in a situation where the existing female dog was humping the newly adopted and very gentle male.

The new owner didn't think it was a problem. I said it was bad behaviour that shouldn't be allowed.

The behaviouralist confirmed this and said absolutely discourage it, do not allow it to start/continue and do not leave the dogs together unsupervised.

Get a squirty water bottle - when she starts, make the sound "Bahh". If she continues, squirt her in the face with the water. Put her in a separate room, eg a laundry for 5 mins. If she comes out again and starts up then repeat the process.

Your husband must also stop the behaviour!! It isn't funny, it's about domination - none of us like to be bullied so don't let it happen to your dogs!

Be careful though. My bitch does this to my (very submissive and smaller) male. If we try to pull her off she goes straight from humping to aggression (to him not us). He got a nasty gash on his face a few weeks ago when my husband tried to pull her off him and it got ugly. I wasn't there but I have also seen her do this previously.

It's definitely a dominance thing - not cute or funny and also not to be taken lightly in terms of you getting in there to separate them. Squirting water etc. is a better option than diving in with your hands.

The problem is my OH doesnt see the 'harm' in the behavior.

I know it is dominate behavior but he just sees it as funny (which it does look funny.. but thats not the point lol)

Poor Mr Fluffy is feeling at the bottom of the doggy rung and I think it is troubling him eg, he growls at my OH when Im home but when Im not there its all good.

I try to explain to my OH that we have to treat the dogs the same but he thinks because his dog isnt showing any bad behavior to people that she is ok.

She is allowed on the bed, couch and gets to eat if she begs.

Mr Fluffy is only allowed on the couch if I pick him up to hug him and then always put him back down. Not allowed on the bed and is only allowed to eat food in his bowl at my command.

I believe the humping she is doing is an effect of being 'pushed up the ladder' by my OH and not being on the same level as Mr Fluffy. What goes for 1 dog should go for the other.

Can anyone back me up on this theory and give me some facts I can tell my OH to get him to take the situation more seriously?

I need to add that originally I spoilt Mr Fluffy and when his started acting like he owned the place I began to put him in his place and treat him more like a dog. I really want to bring both dogs back to basics and then go on from there once we have both under control.

Thanks again!

Sonia

We don't have to share any 'theories' because they're not theories....dogs are pack animals and that's a fact and when you don't treat a pack appropriately you get issues.

Your BF needs to grow up because humping isn't funny.

bobchic- I think a visit from an experienced trainer/behaviourist would be very helpful for you :confused:

There is a lot of confusion in your household, with different rules and behaviours for each dog.... and your OH's attitude is also adding to the confusion.

I think assessment /advice from a professional would help you work out a plan to keep harmony,stop the humping, and explain what is happening, and why :laugh:

Be careful though. My bitch does this to my (very submissive and smaller) male. If we try to pull her off she goes straight from humping to aggression (to him not us). He got a nasty gash on his face a few weeks ago when my husband tried to pull her off him and it got ugly. I wasn't there but I have also seen her do this previously.

you need to work on control on your dog and better manners with her. She sounds very pushy and she needs to learn that some things are a non negotiable no no that WILL be enforced.

bobchick your partner also has to realise your dogs are not fully mature adults. What is funny now can be two dogs tearing each other apart at 2-3 years old. Missy may also start transferring her pushyness to people - which you dont see because she is never told off. I will put money on the fact if you had to try and make her do something you two would be shown a set of teeth and an attitude to back it up that he has created. Tell him his situation is something I see all the time and I know usually how it ends (and unfortunately that is when the owners realise their mistake and call a trainer/behaviorist in) Dont wait till its too late!

I will see if I can locate a behaviourist to asses them.

I think it might help him understand that what is happening will end up being serious.

Missy's current personality is such that it would be hard for him to see her even growling or snaping at another dog. But obviously this could change.

Thanks heaps for the back up. It makes me feel better to know Im not making an issue out of nothing.

Yes my dog has a seeable problem now, but his treatment of his dog is not helping my dog now or his dog in the future.

I can feel a change in the air!! lol

For a behaviourist (sp) how much should I expect to pay for an assesment? Just a ball park figure as I have never had to price this sort of thing.

Im located in VIC.

Cheers

Sonia

you need to work on control on your dog and better manners with her. She sounds very pushy and she needs to learn that some things are a non negotiable no no that WILL be enforced.

Thanks Nekhbet - don't I know it! She is very pushy and we've been working on control with her for over 10 years with a lot of success (but not perfect reliability obviously). She competes in obedience and is very well trained in most respects, but her manners with other dogs are still pretty awful at times. I've pulled her off my other dog a few times in recent years and she's just held on and the smaller dog has come up with her, by her teeth.

Luckily, it happens rarely but I would rather it NEVER happened. She can be a bully and it is a worry actually. He's pretty good at not triggering her but some things just seem to push her buttons and it can be hard to see coming. I have to be careful with her. :dancingelephant:

Bobchic you're not making something out of nothing. Nip it in the bud if you can.

Progress!!

I have explained the humpy thing is bad and he is fine to distract her when she does it..

Now for the rest of the stuff... lol..

At least I have had 1 win..

Thanks heaps for the back up.. I will still consult a behaviorist in the future.. Just need some $$'s..

Fluffy still needs desexing.. Anyone know a good price for that? I seem to be stuck in the good ole days when it cost around 100.. Now they are asking 180 plus a consultation fee of 50!! ARGH!!

I think I will just have to suck it up... :eek: