Tassie People - Advice Please :)

OH and I are in the process of trying to sell our house with plans to relocate to Tasmania.

Once we get an offer on this place I will have to throw OH on a plane so he can head down south and check out properties for us so we can purchase something as soon as possible after selling to keep settlement dates as close as possible to each other.

So, to prepare for this, I'm trying to put together a list of council areas in Tassie which are good with granting kennel licences and those which are "no hope in hell" when it comes to having more than 2 dogs, so that we know which council areas to avoid :)

At the moment I have Central Highlands in my good list and Brighton and Clarence in my don't even think about it list.

Can any Tassie people offer other suggestions on which council areas are good and which ones to avoid?

We are looking at a minimum of 40 acres, if that makes a difference with any of the councils, and will need to get a kennel licence for 5 - 6 dogs.

Thanks for your help guys :p

I'm not sure about all this but I think the Midlands council are okay as I have spoken with them about it in the past (just needed it because I had 3 dogs). I think the Break O Day Council (as long as it's not in the middle of St Helens) and Dorset Councils are too. It really depends on your individual situation and all of these councils cover areas that are very rural and away from large populations.

WHy have you scratched Brighton and Clarence off? Have you already asked them about it or did someone tell you they were not good. It seems to me the issue with those councils is more that they are in the middle of a city with dense populations while Central Highlands is in the middle of nowhere (LOL Well not quite but close hee hee).

To me the bigger issue was not the Council but the neighbours. When I lived in the Northern Midlands area the Council were fine with me having 3 dogs but because I needed a kennel license to do it - and that depended on the neighbours - it didnt happen and I had to move to a different area. The neighbours in that town didn't like newcomers from the mainland so were ready to object to anything I wanted to do. They are well-known for it. LOL So don't move there whatever you do!!!!

I'm probably not much help but we have 1 dog in Latrobe (near devonport) and didn't/haven't had any trouble with the council or neighbours .. but i understand its different for just 1 dog ..

Hope you find an area that suits you and your poooches :laugh:

*Lisa*

PS: we are mainlanders but have been in tassie for just over 12 months !!

WHy have you scratched Brighton and Clarence off? Have you already asked them about it or did someone tell you they were not good.

Yep, because I was told they were not good ones for allowing more dogs - but if they are more city based then we would be unlikely to be looking at any properties in their areas anyway - middle of nowhere is about right for us :):laugh: One of the places we are looking at is in Strickland, and that was certainly pretty middle of nowhere when I had a look at it last October :D

Thanks for the advice :)

bwahahaha @ Saggy Flats!!! Tassie is a fascinating place - it's like nowhere else LOL

I know where Ouse is - it's actually the geographic centre of Tassie I heard. To be honest that area isn't the nicest in Tassie but pretty much of all of Tassie is nice IMO. I've always loved it's name hee hee. I also love Stoner.

One of the tricky aspects is that to get a licence you first have to advertise your intention in the local papers and anyone living within 200 metres can lodge an objection.

The other complication is that even if you buy a place with an existing kennel licence, it doesn't transfer to you. you have to reapply.

I think if you intend buying out of town you will find it easier to get a licence than in towns. Central Highlands is a long way from anywhere, very snake-y in summer and damn freezing and snowy in winter.

Parts of NW coast are ok to get a licence. We live in Latrobe municipality and they are pretty good as long as you aren't living in town.

Hi Allerzeit,

Another one to put on your "Dont even bother to try" list is Kingborough Council, just south of Hobart. My hubby and I had a long and drawn out battle with those bas%&rds, and eventually threw the towel in, (due to the rapidly rising costs) :love: .

We now live in the Huonville Council for the last 9-10 years, and have had no problems with them at all. They do a yearly inspection of our kennel block, and that is it. So long as we do the right thing by them, they leave us alone. We are on 13 acres, no close neighbours, and everyone in our area has our name and number, and if there is a problem with the dogs, we have asked them to contact us first. We have had one phone call, not even a complaint, and it was sorted out in a 5 min phone call :love: ...

Good luck with the sale of your home, and I hope you find the property of your dreams, and love the state as much as most of us 'mainlanders' do :grouphug: ...

bwahahaha @ Saggy Flats!!! Tassie is a fascinating place - it's like nowhere else LOL

I know where Ouse is - it's actually the geographic centre of Tassie I heard. To be honest that area isn't the nicest in Tassie but pretty much of all of Tassie is nice IMO. I've always loved it's name hee hee. I also love Stoner.

Gonna argue with you. Ouse is actually very nice, as is the countryside surrounding it. The Central Highlands is one of the most beautiful regions in Tasmania.

Btw, it's StonOr, not Stoner! :eek:

WHy have you scratched Brighton and Clarence off? Have you already asked them about it or did someone tell you they were not good. It seems to me the issue with those councils is more that they are in the middle of a city with dense populations while Central Highlands is in the middle of nowhere (LOL Well not quite but close hee hee).

Brighton and Clarence actually encompass very large areas with some fairly high density housing and other more rural areas. Brighton is a very, VERY strict council when it comes to dealing with dogs. It is next-to-impossible to get a kennel licence even on acreage there. Clarence seems to be ok with grandfathered licences but very difficult to obtain new ones.

Southern Midlands is apparently quite good. Midway between Central Highlands (no limits, no licences) and Brighton for user-friendly service I believe.

Central Highlands is a long way from anywhere, very snake-y in summer and damn freezing and snowy in winter.

Hamilton is 25 minutes from New Norfolk....about 50 minutes from Bridgewater.

Haven't SEEN a snake here in 2 years. Only had snow the winter before last and only for a day or so at a time, not enough to really disrupt anything. Would be worse if you are further up the mountains but a lot of the Central Highlands area is well below the levels that see regular snow..... and I didn't see any last winter because it was too wet (thank goodness the drought broke!!!!). But it does get hot and dry in summer.