Leaving Gazebo's Up

Asalei

I read somewhere (may have been in the dog world) that we weren't allowed to set up before 6am on the day of a show. That's fair enough. I've just phoned CCCQ and asked about the weekends when there are Saturday/Sunday shows at the same ground and have been told that we also aren't allowed to leave gazebo's up for them.

That's kinda annoying, especially seeming you are at the same grounds all weekend! What about the winter carnival where there are three days of showing on the same grounds. How frustrating to have to set up and pull down the gazebo every day!

I just thought I'd let those who are at Durack this weekend (and in future for all weekend shows) that you won't be allowed to leave your gazebo's up.

Leaving gazebos up to be hit by an unforecast (or a forecast) storm over night can be a problem. Unless your gazebo is cyclone proof, I don't know why you'd want to leave it up.

We had a hockey carnival last year, where all the small tents and gazebos were trashed by storms. Only the gigantic ballroom hall tent survived. But it got flooded.

Just find a gazebo that is quick to set up. Mine takes less than 10 minutes solo.

And I'm sure you're not going to find a council enforcing the no gazebo before 6am rule, if you do see a council worker at 5:30am on the weekend (impossible to imagine) just say it isn't yours. The dog club might ask you to wait but chances are they'd be too busy setting up to notice. Our councils enforce the no camping rules very intermittantly and the dogs on lead in this park rule - not at all. You'd be really unlucky to find anyone complaining if you set up in an area that you have checked is not required by the club / show setup.

We usually drop ours right down or, if the weather is iffy, we take the roof off but still leave the frame...it would be a PITA taking the entire thing down each day!

And I'm sure you're not going to find a council enforcing the no gazebo before 6am rule, if you do see a council worker at 5:30am on the weekend (impossible to imagine) just say it isn't yours.

The care-taker lives on the grounds at Durack and it was advised that items left would be confiscated. So you either own up and get in trouble or lose your gazebo until you go claim it (and then get in trouble).

The notice from the April Dog World.

ERECTION OF TENTS AND LAYING OF MATTING PRIOR TO SHOW DAYS AT DURACK

Council is aware there are ongoing problems at Durack with people laying down matts and erecting tent structures / gazebos on the Ring areas as well as erecting tents on the night prior to a Show at Durack. All exhibitors are asked to take note of that fact that nothing may be erected prior to 6am on the morning of a Show at Durack. CCC(Q) Grounds Manager, Stephen Quill, has been given a signed authority to remove any offending structures or matting from the Ring area or any

structures erected prior to 6am on the morning of a Show.

Edited by molasseslass

a lot of people take off the tops and just bring down to a low level - you shouldn't cop grief for that. If you do have one of the plastic mats down though then do NOT leave it over night or it may be gone next day - that's an absolute nono as they are trying to preserve the grass.

The 6am thing was also to avoid people going out the night before and grabbing all the ring space and/or camping whihc is not allowed either....

Edited by Fit for a King

Yes, I wouldn't leave stuff out overnight, but is Mr Quill going to be stalking the grounds at 5:30am?

Nothing before 6am (and there should be an "after 10pm" or something like that) is to make stopping overnighters easy.

So if you stake your space out at 5:30, but don't put the poles up till 6am, would that be ok?

Is overnight camping "the problem", or greedy staking out of all available space "the problem"? Is setting up where the club needs to put the show rings "the problem" in which case I think Mr Quill would be pefectly reasonable in taking your stuff away.

Might be worth an email and discussion about setting up early and where is acceptable. If you're not setting up in the way, and not camping overnight, then would he really have a problem? This would be what you need to find out. Setting up and pulling down and setting up again when you can't camp there anyway, isn't really a big deal.

They made a similar rule here in Melbourne at KCC Park to stop those close by or willing to come out the night before from staking out the best ground ringside the night before a show. I can see the logic in trying to leave your gear there for the next day but things can get damaged (windy weather can even set things on the ground rolling about if gusty) or stolen so you'd be risking it. Also not everyone chooses to do three or even two days running and only come out for a particular day that suited them due to other committments, so it gives them a chance to find space I guess.

Interestingly though, there was a double show indoors last year and they were okay with people leaving their gear set up indoors?? So maybe it's also a security issue?

I was told that if it was a double (overnite) show that you were allowed to leave your gazebo up, but had to remove the floor. :eek:

As for camping overnight for double headers - I see it as if Durack, or any other dogs sports venue, want to encourage more exhibitors then they have to be a bit more lenient in regards to this. It is very expensive to drive all the way home and then have to drive all the way back again for a show the next day...and it has made us seriously consider the amount of dogs that we show at these weekends. Petrol isnt cheap esp when you arent local.

I know others are in the same boat as us.....and so the clubs miss out on the money from extra entries.

We take our gazebo down and lift the mat every evening just to avoid both weather and vandels. It's not that much of bother really to pop ours up as it's one of the little compact ones and we don't always put sides on, although they don't take more than a few moments to set up either. we will leave the tarp down for the next day however.

Yes, I wouldn't leave stuff out overnight, but is Mr Quill going to be stalking the grounds at 5:30am?

Nothing before 6am (and there should be an "after 10pm" or something like that) is to make stopping overnighters easy.

So if you stake your space out at 5:30, but don't put the poles up till 6am, would that be ok?

Is overnight camping "the problem", or greedy staking out of all available space "the problem"? Is setting up where the club needs to put the show rings "the problem" in which case I think Mr Quill would be pefectly reasonable in taking your stuff away.

Might be worth an email and discussion about setting up early and where is acceptable. If you're not setting up in the way, and not camping overnight, then would he really have a problem? This would be what you need to find out. Setting up and pulling down and setting up again when you can't camp there anyway, isn't really a big deal.

Yes Mr Quill will be up "stalking the grounds" at 5:30 or at least we hope he will be, because if he isnt we dont get in! Generally gates arent opened until 6am!!

Yes over night camping is a problem as it is deemed by Brisbane City Council that Camping isnt allowed on the grounds

Yes this is also the problem, as som people were going the day before and "reserving" massive amounts of space and then not using half of it but still keeping it reserved

At Duarack this isnt a problem as all the rings are permanent rings

I was told that if it was a double (overnite) show that you were allowed to leave your gazebo up, but had to remove the floor. :laugh:

As for camping overnight for double headers - I see it as if Durack, or any other dogs sports venue, want to encourage more exhibitors then they have to be a bit more lenient in regards to this. It is very expensive to drive all the way home and then have to drive all the way back again for a show the next day...and it has made us seriously consider the amount of dogs that we show at these weekends. Petrol isnt cheap esp when you arent local.

I know others are in the same boat as us.....and so the clubs miss out on the money from extra entries.

As mentioned above Brisbane City Council have put a stop to this, it does still happen on big weekends I think it just tends to get "overlooked" a bit.

Edited by JSK

They put this new "rule" out not long ago, molasseslass said April Dogworld, that nothing is to be set up before 6am on a show day.

Michelle - That's why I rang, seems logical to set up tomorrow afternoon and leave it for Sunday morning.. but the cccq said we aren't allowed when I rang today.

I don't think I'll bother with one tomorrow night, will just set it up on sunday morning.

Edited by ~Erin~

Technically the show starts at 5pm tomorow and ends Sunday...............surely that means we can leave it up? I will check with the show manager tomorrow.

We usually drop ours right down or, if the weather is iffy, we take the roof off but still leave the frame...it would be a PITA taking the entire thing down each day!

We do the exact same thing...it would beyond annoying if you had to take the gazebo down after each day.... Fingers crossed other grounds dont decided to do this sort of rubbish!