Doberman And German Shepherd

Alfie02

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou! We are over the moon with him - he's getting so big already - but really healthy and happy, can't ask for more really. I'm quite a rottweiler fan too - yours is lovely :o

thanks so much for all the information guys :rofl:

Im so sorry jules1 that you lost your first Dobie at only 4 years.....very very sad.

I only met my first Dobie today and I was sooooo impressed with his beautiful temperament, I kinda fell in love and wanted to take that Dobie home... :rofl:

So just wanting to know what they were like all round (in case this lovley boy was a fluke...but it seems like there are lots of Dobies like him :o )

Thanks again!!!

Edited by Alfie02

I think the breeds are pretty much interchangeable really, and if I still had the option of having a dog of this size I'd be totally happy with either. In first world war photos, I see Dobes and GSD's side by side in the field, to locate the wounded. Robust, intelligent, capable, with similar size and weight. There's nothing one can do that the other can't, speaking in broad breed terms. I think it boils down to whether the Wolfish charm of the German Shepherd appeals, or the uber-neatness of the Dobermann. If you're after specific dog character traits then with sufficient research you'll find what you're after, either way.

Except Herding. :o GSD of course can compete in herding trials.

Both are great breeds if the dog is well bred. In the right hands they can be exceptional dogs but a disaster in the wrong hands. One breed difference I have had pointed out to me by a long time Dobe breeder many years ago was that Dobes can be a little too fast protecting their owners. This breeder was bitten by a friend's Dobe at a Royal show when she slapped the owner on the back to congratulate him on winning best of breed. The dog in question obviously thought she was threatening his owner and grabbed her by the arm. She said to me that most breeds would wait to see if there really was a threat but the Dobe will jump straight in on the defence. She blamed herself because she knew the breed so well and should have taken more care.

Both breeds can have wonderful temperaments if bred and raised correctly but they are both very protective of their home and family. A fact that any owner needs to keep in mind so the dog doesn't protect them when they don't need protecting.

I think the breeds are pretty much interchangeable really, and if I still had the option of having a dog of this size I'd be totally happy with either. In first world war photos, I see Dobes and GSD's side by side in the field, to locate the wounded. Robust, intelligent, capable, with similar size and weight. There's nothing one can do that the other can't, speaking in broad breed terms. I think it boils down to whether the Wolfish charm of the German Shepherd appeals, or the uber-neatness of the Dobermann. If you're after specific dog character traits then with sufficient research you'll find what you're after, either way.

Except Herding. :o GSD of course can compete in herding trials.

Both are great breeds if the dog is well bred. In the right hands they can be exceptional dogs but a disaster in the wrong hands. One breed difference I have had pointed out to me by a long time Dobe breeder many years ago was that Dobes can be a little too fast protecting their owners. This breeder was bitten by a friend's Dobe at a Royal show when she slapped the owner on the back to congratulate him on winning best of breed. The dog in question obviously thought she was threatening his owner and grabbed her by the arm. She said to me that most breeds would wait to see if there really was a threat but the Dobe will jump straight in on the defence. She blamed herself because she knew the breed so well and should have taken more care.

Both breeds can have wonderful temperaments if bred and raised correctly but they are both very protective of their home and family. A fact that any owner needs to keep in mind so the dog doesn't protect them when they don't need protecting.

Although a good Dobe can do the work of a GSD, most working dog trainers generally don't recommend them especially for handlers beginning in that line of work. The GSD is always from anything I have heard, the easier dog to train and handle with the most consistant temperament of the common working breeds. I guess it depends upon what you like the looks of best for a family pet. Like the GSD and Belgians have a similar look, but a Dobe looks completely different.

Edited by Black Bronson

Speaking on Dobes and from my experience - will let the shepherd people do their thing.

Dobes - have to be with you, must be indoor dogs, need to be worked - obed etc they are much happier if they have a job, need a good hard free run everyday, love to exert themselves physically, though they are more than happy to spend the day on the couch with you if need be, totally devoted to their family - adults and most certainly kids, are normally highly intelligent, very quick to learn, should be outgoing and exhuberant but on alert and aware of all around them, are great guard dogs but don't bark for no reason, love going everywhere with you, are funny - crack jokes and think they are funny :rofl:, can be possesive of food and toys, are lovely to live with, great company, good travellers, great with other breeds but must be socialized, love a good bone, love to free run :) - did I mention that ?, love to work with you, love to help you do whatever you are doing, love to help cook dinner :laugh:, love to keep your feet warm while you are on the computer :laugh:, YUP they are velcro dogs, sooks, clowns, jokers, totally adorable and the love of my life - wouldn't be without them :rofl:.

I was waiting for the catch, but it never came :hug:

After reading that I think I'm going to trade my SBT for a Dobey...how much do ya think I would get on changeover :rofl:

Wotan, don't do that. Do what I do...have a SBT AND a Dobe! :hug: As long as they aren't the same sex, they get on wonderfully...and it's the best of both worlds! I couldn't be without either breed.

Have you got your puppy you were looking for ???

Bisart Dobes...

No, not yet. I went to 2 shows recently and met with a QLD breeder. Her bitch has such a wonderful temperament, and her bitch and I have formed a nice bond together. She is certainly something special. I am going to be patient and wait for a pup from her litter around September.

Thanks for your emails, and best of luck with Rhemy. May she have a trouble-free pregnancy and healthy, happy fur-kids :hug:

What Bisart Dobes says can be equally applied to GSDs.

But not to malinois! Sorry, off topic, but the phrase "don't bark for no reason" made me go green with envy. :hug: Any excuse to bark around here.

My dobie girl was calm and placid which is not something that is said of dobes often, particularly when they are young. She was most happiest sitting at (read ON) my feet or with my (then) young son leaning on her to play xbox or read a book.

She was very aware of my emotions and would respond accordingly. She was protective of my family and home but NEVER, EVER aggressive. I only heard her growl maybe 2 or 3 times in her 13yrs. One of those times was when a 'friend' of my X husband came close to me, he was someone I did NOT like or trust and he actually scared me a bit, she gave a warning rumble when he came close to me and he didnt do so again!

Tara was very clean and a complete lady. She loved training and responded VERY quickly. It was important to know that she picked things up very quickly so to be careful not to train things accidentally. For eg. I used to call her over to me when she was a puppy and she would sit in front of me, look up and wait. When we started puppy training we would walk, then stop and instead of sitting beside me she would walk in front and sit then look up at me for what to do next!!

My close friend had a GSD (Hamish) and my girl used to play together regularly. The biggest difference I saw was the hair! Oh, my goodness.... the hair balls and tufts of hair that Hamish used to lose have put me off owning a long haired breed ever since.

My girl passed away about 6yrs ago and I still think of her regularly. I would LOVE another dobie, but am a bit scared I will be disappointed or overwhelmed with the energy and hyper ness of the dobies I read about on here!! I regularly check all dobie breeder websites so I expect one day I will have another.

Edited by greydobe

My hubby and I have owned both a dobe and a german shepherd at the same time. We acquired them both as pups, the dobe came 3 years after the german shepherd and developed an incredible closeness to the german shepherd. Both were loving and loyal dogs, the GS had a far superior guarding instinct, the dobe would sooner hide than confront people, the GS would certainly confront and bark at strangers. I found the gs more obedient, the dobe was definitely stubborn with a mind of his own most of the time. My choice would be a GS. Dobes are very affectionate but because I found the gs more obedient then that would make it my preference.

Speaking on Dobes and from my experience - will let the shepherd people do their thing.

Dobes - have to be with you, must be indoor dogs, need to be worked - obed etc they are much happier if they have a job, need a good hard free run everyday, love to exert themselves physically, though they are more than happy to spend the day on the couch with you if need be, totally devoted to their family - adults and most certainly kids, are normally highly intelligent, very quick to learn, should be outgoing and exhuberant but on alert and aware of all around them, are great guard dogs but don't bark for no reason, love going everywhere with you, are funny - crack jokes and think they are funny :thanks:, can be possesive of food and toys, are lovely to live with, great company, good travellers, great with other breeds but must be socialized, love a good bone, love to free run :heart: - did I mention that ?, love to work with you, love to help you do whatever you are doing, love to help cook dinner :cheer:, love to keep your feet warm while you are on the computer :cheer:, YUP they are velcro dogs, sooks, clowns, jokers, totally adorable and the love of my life - wouldn't be without them :cheer:.

I was waiting for the catch, but it never came :o

After reading that I think I'm going to trade my SBT for a Dobey...how much do ya think I would get on changeover :)

Wotan, don't do that. Do what I do...have a SBT AND a Dobe! :banghead: As long as they aren't the same sex, they get on wonderfully...and it's the best of both worlds! I couldn't be without either breed.

Have you got your puppy you were looking for ???

Bisart Dobes...

No, not yet. I went to 2 shows recently and met with a QLD breeder. Her bitch has such a wonderful temperament, and her bitch and I have formed a nice bond together. She is certainly something special. I am going to be patient and wait for a pup from her litter around September.

Thanks for your emails, and best of luck with Rhemy. May she have a trouble-free pregnancy and healthy, happy fur-kids :eek:

Thats great - I'm glad you found someone in the same state - it makes it a much nicer experience to be able to see the puppies through the process. At least you have the baby staffy to fill the void in the meantime - look forward to seeing posts of your baby dobe when you get it. And yes, Rhemy is very happy and content with herself at the moment :cheer:.

Bernadette

:banghead: This must have been quite a while ago - there aren't many out there now that would even care and most expect their owner to step up to their defence -as we see time and time again with our temperament test.

We were owned for 10yrs by a beautiful Dobe girl, she was loyal,loving,very intelligent and a big sook.

She loved being with us, she would get up on the lounge (her favorite spot) sit next to me and pull my arm with her paw towards her chest for me to rub and when rubbing would pur like a cat. :( Or just roll over on the lounge to have her tummy rubbed. :)

Dobes don't have a dog smell even when wet and are great with kids. Dobes make wonderful family pets, BUT much as I love Dobes I will never have another one again. Just before she turned 5yrs, x-rays showed Wobbler Syndrome a cruel Hereditary disease common in this breed. :):cry: She spent the last 5yrs of her life on meds, I couldn't even take her for a walk. :D :D I'm not saying all Dobes have this and other problems, but you should be aware of it as breeders won't tell you. :D I got the cold shoulder from the breeder and the club was no help. :D I put her to sleep 6yrs ago and still miss her, such is the effect this breed has on you.

GSD's are a wonderful breed, they too are loyal,loving, very intelligent, very protective and love to be with you. They do drop coat every where, so if you don't like hair maybe this breed is not for you. :) They have a great temperament are big sooks and make excellent house dogs, especially on your lounge or bed.

I wouldn't say they are easy to train, as my girl was a monster :D but once they learn something they never forget. They can be very stubborn at times, but who cares :) Obedience training is a must and is best done with the GSD club. :thumbsup:

Do you know two other breeds have similar characteristics to the Dobermann, being the Rottweiler and Rhodesian Ridgeback.

The Dobe came from the Rottie and since I have a Rottie they do seem similar, especially the bark and drool at tea time. :D A friend has a RR and she reminds so much of a Dobe right down to the mouthing of the fingers it's not funny, so you might want to look into these breeds too. :rofl:

Thanks so much for all the great info guys, its really good, I love the beautiful stories about dogs and their owners :thumbsup: .

Tarope, I didnt realise that the rodesian ridgeback had a similar temperament to the Doberman, thats really interesting :cheer:

Dobes can't herd?!!

Some one forgot to tell my old boy.He used to bring the goats back for us when ever they got onto the railway track!

As for similarities between Rotties,Dobes and Ridgies,I believe it! We had pure dobes for years untill we were given a 3 way cross of those breeds.

She is fantastic,the sweetest,most placid and affectionate dog you could ask for.Loves kids and other animals.BUT if she thinks we are threatened she will react fast and decisively.We might not need protecting.It might because someone has jumped towards us suddenly,or not hearing us say "NO" to what they are doing or a visitor yelling at their kids.

The good thing is she has ALWAYS responded instantly to her name even if starting to chase a 'roo and has never been in the least agressive otherwise.

The dobes are my choice.

I've only owned 1 German Shephard but she made me absolutely love the breed. She was the most beautiful natured dog, didn't want much affection but was always near me. She would have protected me no matter what (and vice versa). She would sort of snatch toys from adults, but somehow she knew that she couldn't do that with children, she was so gentle with them and wouldn't even try to take toys out of their hands, without ever having been told. She always accepted other dogs, even though she was attacked by 3 dogs when she was a pup. She lived to be nearly 16 years old even though they have a life expectancy of 10-12 years. I wouldn't hesitate to have another GS when the time is right. I have never owned a Doberman, nor do I know anyone who has one. As per previous posts, it's about the upbringing with most dogs. Lots of love and training = good dog

When I was originally deciding what breed of dog to get. It was a toss up between a dobe and Ridgie! But the one ridgie i knew had an amazing ability to droooooollll. That sold it for me. Dobies dont have the drool that goes from mouth to floor!! (well the ones I knew anyway! :noidea: )

I have had the pleasure of 2 dobes in my life. My beautiful red boy, Angus. He was an absolute charmer, never saw aggression in any form he was a darling. I lost him to a mediastinal cancer at 9 years. My next boy was Bronson, my black beauty. A truly empathetic dog who just made me melt. Could teach him to do absolutely anything. I lost him due to Wobblers and it was horrible. My advice is research the breed, get to know some breeders who produce healthy dogs, losing a dog to something like Wobblers is terrible. Can't comment on GSD's and now am owned by a couple of boxers, now theres a contrast in breeds !!! Good luck