Breed Suggestions

Welsh springers (gorgeous dogs. i lean a bit more towards the welsh)

9. Standard Poodle (again very beautiful dogs especially in their show clip! i dont think i could handle that but in a pet clip sure.)

Can only say, I agree about the beauty of the Welsh Springer Spaniels.

And those big standard poodles are great dogs.

Tedington said.

love greyhounds but i have a cat and a rabbit so i think i would be waiting quite a long time for a suitable dog. another reason i would like a pup, so they are exposed to the other pets from a young age.

Hi,

If it helps and you say you do like Greyhounds, you can purchase a baby puppy from a registered reliable breeder of show (exhibition) greyhounds in your state.

Also the GAP Greyhounds are fully temperament tested before they are allowed to live with you.

Many sleep with cats and various other animals. :laugh:

from the sounds of it you want something a little more low energy, easy and fairly independent since you already have your routine. If you are not really committed to agility and performance then I wouldnt go for a higher energy dog, if you get bored of it you are not stuck with a high energy dog with no outlet. I think most of the breeds recommended wouldnt be just right unless you found an unusually quiet individual :laugh:

Why not just get another rescue dog. You will know the personality and energy level or an ex show dog. Or go up a notch to the mastiffs. Bull Mastiff, Dogue, etc ok maybe a little more stubborn but more laid back then the hunting and herding breeds on the go wise and LOVE people.

nekhbet- i'm not 100% sure i understand your comments?

its not that i'm not commited to agility or obedience (i've never actually done it but something i am interested in trying). its just that i want a dog that will enjoy it and thrive.

i was at an obedience club with my old dog and we got to a fairly high level BUT he didn't really enjoy it. i wanted to training using his toy as a reward (because he loved toys even more then food) but the instructors were not keen on that idea- said it was too much of a distraction to the other dogs. then i wanted to use food bu that was a bit frowned upon to. their idea of marching around for an hour was pretty boring.

i like to train more like work hard for a bit, have a break/play, work hard again, reward with toy/play etc. rather then just praise as a 'reward'. while i believe praise is important i think dogs deserve a reward when they have done the right thing and my boy was very toy motivated

i left that club but continued training on my own. while he was never going to be an obedience champion, i was pretty proud of his level of training.

so my next dog will definitely be going to training classes and i will be doing stuff at home, on walks etc. if they dont ever get to competition level then thats fine with me. they will be my companion/mate/cuddle bum :laugh: first and foremost.

also if anyone can recommend a good obedience/agility club that doesn't mind using positive training in adelaide let me know :rofl:

i dont want an independent dog. i want a dog that likes having cuddles and wants to spend time with me. my routine is changeable and will do my upmost to ensure my dog has everything they need to be happy. if that means getting up a 4.00 and taking them for a walk then so be it!! but i also dont really want a dog that is going to tear up the house if they only get 1 walk a day instead of the usual 2. while i do have a bit of stuff going on when i'm home after work and weekends, the dog will not be alone at all.

what sammy ballerina said about pointers has shot them pretty high up the list! a dog that loves going for walks but also happy to chill out. i would like to do a bit more with to the training side though

when you say dobermanns need to know you are the leader what exactly does this mean? just having rules such as sit before dinner/going out the door etc? walking nicely? play only when i want to? and when you say they will take over what does that mean? resource guarding? pushy for attention? just to clear somethings up

thanks again!

I vote for a GSP. Every single one I have met has been lovely! One of my favourite dogs at the moment is a GSP. They are very clever, would be great for obedience and agility. They do require a fair amount of exercise and training, but once they are trained they are amazing! I think, as long as they are able to be with you, they would be ok.

An Aussie Shepherd is also a wondeful dog, some of them are not as energetic and generally only require 1-2hrs of exercise. They are also great at agility and obedience if you have the time. But you seem pretty keen on gundogs, so I would go for a GSP.

heres the way i decide what we get for the family

it may be a bit different from your list but something here might trigger a thought

we like most breeds

but avoid the fighting breeds

dont want anything fiesty

cos we have cats and always have multiples so everyone has to be on the mellow side...we can afford to have one prima donna but thats about it

i dont like dog odour and so we pick dogs with the drier type coat

i dont like dog hair and find that lots of the short haired/smooth coats shed more and more often

i personally like soft coated dogs ...nice to touch so terriers are out for us for the most....the scruffy dogs

i wont have a dog with a wet face...the type that has a lot of fur round its mouth...im tired of cleaning that bit and really love the smooth faced breeds

wont go for brachy dogs...so all short snouts are off the list now...used to really want a bulldog but wont have anything that has trouble breathing

same with dachshunds...wont go for the low lying breeds lol...

can live with barking to an extent so watchdogs are ok but id mix it with sighthounds so there isnt a total cacophony every time the doorbell rings

love loyal dogs but the aloofness of sighthounds again appeals if you mix some of the breeds

...ie i wouldnt just have sighthounds and i wouldnt just have the more devoted breeds

a bit of both to suit the moods of the family

wont have a working dog...have to be realistic about its needs but i love the intelligence of these guys

been around for a while on this planet so ive tried lots of breeds...used to love spaniels but nice to have something else for a change but i love their look and variety and softness

dont so much go for the common breeds either...dont go for vanilla icecream ...dont go for labradors and goldies anymore...but still remember with great fondness the wonderful wonderful nature of goldies and they still elicit a smile when i see a family with one of these fantastic dogs

my tastes have changed and i guess with age so have my capabilities so the big boys are out

woulda loved to have fitted in a borzoi but i dont know that ill be able to...

maybe maybe

but have to do what is best for the dog

I have a Dobe and have had others in the past. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat! :o

IF you have some dog experience, and are prepared to do some basic training, are careful in choosing the breeder, it should be fine.

Personally, I've found the females more "attractive" etc - but that seems to be just mt experience - not all agree with that. :rolleyes:

I've also had a mini Poodle in the past and love them just as much. :rofl:

They are both highly intelligent breeds.

My Dobe was not "into" agilty either. In fact, she's pretty cluey and aloof and soon works it out if you ask her top do "stoopid" stuff! Maybe that is just her, but from the agilty aspect etc, maybe the Poodle would be more co-operative. :rofl:

You were spot on about your assessment of Brittanys. Bella my eldest was my first agility/obedience/show dog and she did really well but that was just a bonus due to her beautiful nature. I also looked at Welsh Springer Spaniels and English Springer spaniels, but preferred the Brittany for intelligence and ease of grooming in comparison. Also the Welsh Springer Spaniels are generally not as outgoing as a Brittany. The owner of one of the pups from my last litter is doing agility for the first time and they are doing a great job and having a ball, and he is still quite young.

You can't miss too many walks when they are younger (but you could probably say that about most dogs), but as they settle down and mature you can get away with a bit more.

Edited by helen

If you really want an agility dog, and it is a lot of fun, then I would suggest looking more at medium to large size, rather then the larger leggier breeds. So maybe the brittany or welsh. I have taken my shar pei boy to agility, and he loves it. He will never likely keep up with the speed of the lighter breeds, though if I put more effort in, I know he would be able to be spot on with accuracy. I really only took him for his sake, as he is such a keen worker and good mind. I personally would rather stay home and watch tv in the evenings. This is not a breed that would be considered an agilty breed, but he has the keeness to learn and focus. He is also a breed considered to be aloof. He is to some degree, with strangers, but to people he knows he is the most affectionate and cuddly of dogs you could ever want. My point is that the breed is not always an indication of their keeness to work, and a breed considered better for agilty does not guarantee the right temperament for the job.

I have watched leggier/heavier breeds learning agility, and they do seem much more awkward and uncomfortable on the equipment. If I were keen to purchase a dog for agility, I would be considering the medium, lighter breeds. Shetland Sheepdogs would be right up there - the ones I have seen are amazing, as are kelpies, the brittany. I am not sure how the pointers go - I would guess the german, being lighter would be more agile than the English. I can imagine Dobes doing well, but have seen a german shepherd struggle - a breed I would otherwise think would be good for agility.

I think what I am meaning to say is when you choose a breed, make sure you tell the breeder what you are looking for as the temperament of the individual is as important as the breed. Not sure if this made sense - but hope you get me!

Edited by badboyz