Handling Advice Needed

Miss B

My 15-month-old JS boy likes to go around the ring with his nose buried in the grass. He has been doing it since he was a few months old and it is so hard to stop him. I have tried every single type of collar/lead imaginable, I've tried talking to him in the ring, tried getting his attention with bait. Nothing seems to work. At the moment, I am showing him on a plain paracord lead (an all-in-one 'choker' style). I have to position it right up behind his ears so I can 'pop' on the lead when he puts his head down... if he is really naughty then I end up having to string him up and it looks awful. I have had several judges tell me that he is a lovely dog but his behaviour is letting him down as it throws his movement out.

Any tips/suggestions? :hug:

Have you tried rewarding the dog for putting it's head up.

When the head goes up, mark it with a happy "Yes" and give food. When the head is down, give a light tug - as soon as the head is up say "Yes!".

It is an art to run, look at the dog and slip it food but it does work :banghead:

In addition to the PM I sent you, try swapping the paracord for a light check chain.

It made the world of difference to Alchemy who was doing the same thing. :banghead:

Got your PM, thanks :eek:

Have you tried rewarding the dog for putting it's head up.

When the head goes up, mark it with a happy "Yes" and give food. When the head is down, give a light tug - as soon as the head is up say "Yes!".

It is an art to run, look at the dog and slip it food but it does work :o

I will give that a try. Problem with him is that he's not really interested in me, or bait... sniffing the ground is far more interesting :) He's not an 'eager to please' type of dog, he's pretty naughty independant.

I was having this issue with my baby puppy Stafford. It was like her nose was attached to the ground with an industrial strength magnet. So for a couple of shows I sacrificed style and elegance and replaced them with personal embarrassment and literally moved her around the ring with some bait under her nose, praising her and letting her have a taste every time she took more than a step with her nose off the ground.

It has taken a few shows but last show, she was even happy enough with her head in the air to take the lead in her mouth and walk herself. It is kind of replacing a problem with a problem, but I'd rather she carry the lead with her head in the air because it is easier to encourage her to drop it than to stop the hoover impersonation!

Good luck....I know how frustrating it can be!

Extremely frustrating isnt it? I am no expert on behaviour modification and there are plenty of people on here who are better qualified to help than me. However we have gundogs and its essentially in thier nature to 'work' and that includes the sniffing.

The only thing that we could do in the end was to reinforce the 'leave it' command. And so that's what we have to do in the ring, as soon as the head looks like going down, a quick tug and 'leave it'. The minute the head comes up - bridge and reward.

Practice at home every day and every time you walk, sorry I cant be much more help.

I also found that a choker chain was the only answer for my girl who wouldnt lift her head either, a quick little " Tug check" as you are about to move in works wonders, even now I still give a little tug just to remind her that she has it on and she dosnt even try now to put her head down :D

Good luck cause it is very frustrating isnt it :p

A trick I use in obedience, show and agility training with a very independent, easily distracted Dalmatian is to reinforce heavily with really yummy food (cooked chicken, cheese and other such delicacies) or squeaky toys for attention and then reward by releasing to sniff - always use a word to release rather than let the dog release himself.....practice this regularly and the dog ends up giving you attention because he knows he will get to sniff afterwards anyway. It's like an on-off switch with Ziggy now and it's like having 2 different dogs especially as we walk out of the ring (whichever disciplining) and he starts to prance in anticipation of being released to sniff and pee to his heart's content. I try not to confuse him so he is never allowed to sniff in a ring - doesn't matter whether we are just training or he has finished being judged in whatever discipline - he works until I give him the release word. Makes for a dog that is happy and keen to focus :D If he's not keen on treats, practice at home with his dinner in a non-distracting environment and then add distractions. Only use the best treats when distractions are at their highest e.g. the show ring. At home I only train with dry dog food.

I had this problem with my Havanese boy when he discovered "girls" and the lovely smells they leave on the ground!!!! I swiftly changed him over to a check chain and this eradicated the problem very quickly. You can't have your nose on the ground whilst being choked to death!!!

My 15-month-old JS boy likes to go around the ring with his nose buried in the grass. He has been doing it since he was a few months old and it is so hard to stop him. I have tried every single type of collar/lead imaginable, I've tried talking to him in the ring, tried getting his attention with bait. Nothing seems to work. At the moment, I am showing him on a plain paracord lead (an all-in-one 'choker' style). I have to position it right up behind his ears so I can 'pop' on the lead when he puts his head down... if he is really naughty then I end up having to string him up and it looks awful. I have had several judges tell me that he is a lovely dog but his behaviour is letting him down as it throws his movement out.

Any tips/suggestions? :laugh:

Miss B, unfortunately I don't have much advice for you other than what has been said but I wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Your story sounded like it was written by me!

My 6 month old Chinese Crested boy refuses to get his head up.

I have tried every lead you can think of, every method you can think of and still no luck.

Food works fantastic at home, but as soon as you step out that front door he couldn't give a hoot.

The only thing that has worked a bit for me is practicing on paved/road areas. There's nothing to sniff there so it works better while training.

Another method my breeder told me (that I have yet to try myself) was to put a big wooden bead at the base of the lead and do it up tight under his neck, walk him along on a semi-loose lead and jerk his head up periodically... when you jerk his head up the bead will hit him in the jaw, giving him a correction.

Hopefully it is something that will come with age, confidence and repetition :thumbsup:

In addition to the above (and have just been through this with a Stafford puppy), vanilla on the nose, squeaky toy, treats, choke chain, practise at home, heavy clip on the leash - it all helped but at the show she'd say, stuff you - you can't make me. Well sorry Diva my dear - but I can :( Practice in a ring at the show with some random person standing in the middle to take the place of the judge. Sacrifice one entry and make that show ring appearance practice only.

They do know the difference been practice and real life, and once you've proved to them that you can make them do it for real most will accept it as just one more weird thing mum wants me to do a couple of times a week....

I changed from a paracord lead to a check chain and it made a world of difference. I also started using cooked kidneys only in the ring. Just saying the word makes me want to barf and last Sunday I wore a dress with no pockets and had to carry it in my bra :o Bra went in the bin as soon as I got home. But Freddy did keep his head up :rolleyes:

Things we do for our dogs :rofl:

I changed from a paracord lead to a check chain and it made a world of difference. I also started using cooked kidneys only in the ring. Just saying the word makes me want to barf and last Sunday I wore a dress with no pockets and had to carry it in my bra :cry: Bra went in the bin as soon as I got home. But Freddy did keep his head up :(

Things we do for our dogs :cry:

HAHA, the gross things i have pulled out of my bra after a show would make the boys shudder :cry:

I keep buying darn suits without checking too see if they have pockets first :cry:

Maybe I should just sew plastic pouches into all of my bras :cry:

Bait pouches are a necessity, I refuse to ruin my good clothing by putting food in the pockets etc, it's just gross.

A check chain should do the trick, correct and release, rather than a paracord which just chokes the dog to hold his head up, while he resists. If you dont know how to use correctly, ask someone who has done some obedience.

Sorry if to you it goes without saying, but from past experience I've realised and been surprised at just how many people DON'T know how to use them correctly, even though they put them on their dogs. Also the ridiculous lengths of chains that people put on their dogs, they make them in different sizes for a reason.