Boxer Suitable For Obedience/agility Sports?

My plans right now are that the next dog we add to our family as a competition dog for agility will be a rescue dog. The one after will probably, again, be bred for sheepwork.

Hope that answers your question.

Please don't think I don't know that some rescues don't have issues because they do. I just don't think they are in the majority and I see enough dogs from breeders with physical & temperament problems to know that there are no guarantees there either.

Easy as pie. Next time a Brittany comes up in rescue I will let you know :noidea:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy as pie. Next time a Brittany comes up in rescue I will let you know ;)

Thanks Helen, but that won't be necessary. There are 4 dogs in HP right that that would suit me perfectly (and that's just 4 of the ones we have tested so far). When the time comes for us to add another dog, I will have plenty to choose from & no need to go looking outside of my own pound. :)

Dogdude, your post took me back to a low night in agility training with a boxer mix (rescue) when a well-meaning person put a hand on my shoulder and said, 'if you are serious about agility, get a working dog".

At first I was furious because he was dissin' my dog. But on reflection, yes it is much easier with some breeds. But my non-working high-drive dog could run rings around the herders at agility when he was properly motivated. At times, it was like pushing water uphill, but my dog made me into a much better trainer.

I didn't get the dog to help me go into agility, I got into agility to help the dog. He loved it and placed a few times. And at the end of the night, he was the dog I loved, so that was more important than whether or not he was the right kind of breed. So my experience with Boxers and agility was a bit different than the question that was asked. If you want a dog for agility and have no sense of humour, stick to the the few prescribed breeds that win consistently.

A young adult dog is a much better choice than a puppy for an agility prospect in my opinion, because you can more accurately assess the physical, mental and attitudinal potential. Pounds, shelters and rescues can be great places to find your next agility dog.

ari g

it's a wonder you don't have craters in your back yard and you do have a couch to sit on. The boxers I know would destroy things if they weren't exercised enough. I think there is one sad boxer around the corner from me who doesn't get enough exercise. She barks all day and trys to kill any dog she gets near - which explains why she doesn't get out much.

Not easy to do agility with a deer hound - they don't fit so well in the tunnel. So there are limitations.

Sorry but how many Boxers do you know? The one you mentioned above?

My boy gets a half an hour walk a day, one night a week at training and maybe the ball thrown out the back for him once or twice a fortnight. He definitely doesn't need 1-2 hours of energetic exercise a day, infact it would probably kill him. I must have a broken boxer aswell. :thumbsup:

In regards to the OP's question, i believe that a boxer would be good for obedience/agility but they are the kind of dog that likes to think for themselves and as someone mentioned earlier the main thing would be working out what exactly drives your boxer to work at it's greatest potential for you. :thumbsup:

He ari q and Mel, my boxers are broken too!!! One of them won't do anything unless she has to or wants to. I do believe Gab has the ass of the wonderful lab!!! Henry did some low level agility in an obedience program a little while ago and he's awesome, in fact he loved it so much he would just takes off on his own around the course. He still uses the house as an agility course on the odd occasion and Gabby is an obstacle :thumbsup:

Your right Mel, it depends on the dog and what motivates them. Some boxers will be great at it

Henry might have a go at agility when I have my knee sorted out. Perhaps I could just get a chair and a drink, plonk myself in the middle of the course and let him go his hardest :laugh:

I walk with two boxers every morning, not the one that never gets out.

I've met another that the owners bought thinking they were getting a couch potato. They have no back yard to speak of now. And they've enlisted help getting the dog walked enough.

I mentioned ari.g's dog's situation to my dog walking friends and what they said was the same as what I said - except ruder.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Luvsablue, most pound dogs are in there for behavioral reasons, and bad owners that caused them. Sure there are success stories, but if you are serious about odedience trialling at the highest level then why would you start out with a possible basket case. To promote and nurture drive properly, it is highly advantagious to do so from puppyhood. From my understanding, the OP wants a dog suited for dog sports?

That is your opinion. There are no statistics to prove this & plenty would disagree with you based on experience. After 12 months volunteering at a local pound 1-2 times a week & having rehomed a number of pound dogs over the years for performance, I would be one to disagree. I am constantly astounded at how many solid temperaments there are in the pound each week. My first ever foster represented NSW at the National agility trial a few weeks ago. Sure...she had behavioural problems : she was too active as a 9 mth old BC pup to be stuck in a back yard.

I don't think that you will find too many champion sporting dogs come from a rescue and trying to obtain one from a rescue is a huge gamble. It's best to obtain a puppy from parentage that have excelled in sport for generations for a better opportunity of gaining the required genetics.

I've met another that the owners bought thinking they were getting a couch potato. They have no back yard to speak of now. And they've enlisted help getting the dog walked enough.

I mentioned ari.g's dog's situation to my dog walking friends and what they said was the same as what I said - except ruder.

Wow no need to be rude about it. I've have/had 4 boxers in the last 17 years and had 3 at one time (one was my ex's) and known a number of people with boxers. Yes they can be an energetic dog but none have them have had any major crater digging obsessions etc or behavioural issues borne from not getting 1 - 2 hours energetic exercise a day. :thumbsup:

I don't think that you will find too many champion sporting dogs come from a rescue and trying to obtain one from a rescue is a huge gamble. It's best to obtain a puppy from parentage that have excelled in sport for generations for a better opportunity of gaining the required genetics.

I am not sure the OP is looking for a champion...but just in case you think it is not generally done with a rescue:

Some current results from the NSW Dog of the Year Cumulative Point Score after 8 rounds:

Agility Dog of the Year

1st Rescue crossbreed

2nd crossbreed

3rd crossbreed

4th pure ANKC recognised breed

5th Rescue crossbreed

Jumping Dog of the Year

1st Rescue crossbreed

2nd crossbreed

3rd pure but non ANKC recognised breed

4th crossbreed

5th Rescue crossbreed

I have not sure whether the crosses listed above came from rescue or not, but do know that 1st & 5th in each comp definitely came via well known Sydney Rescues from the pound.

Edited by Vickie

Easy as pie. Next time a Brittany comes up in rescue I will let you know :mad

Thanks Helen, but that won't be necessary. There are 4 dogs in HP right that that would suit me perfectly (and that's just 4 of the ones we have tested so far). When the time comes for us to add another dog, I will have plenty to choose from & no need to go looking outside of my own pound. :)

Oh well worth a try LOL

Wow no need to be rude about it. I've have/had 4 boxers in the last 17 years and had 3 at one time (one was my ex's) and known a number of people with boxers. Yes they can be an energetic dog but none have them have had any major crater digging obsessions etc or behavioural issues borne from not getting 1 - 2 hours energetic exercise a day. :cry:

I agree, no need to get snippy. We were sharing our experiences with the boxers that we own and live with every day! I think it is definitely important to realise that Boxers are by no means couch potato's (and to think that, indicates that maybe your friends didn't do enough breed research before getting their Boxer :rofl:) but to say that they need 1-2 hours exercise a day maybe a little bit of an exaggeration! I have found that mental stimulation is just as good if not better for tiring Bomber and it's also good to remember that Boxers like to be with people. If they are not inside dogs or seperated from their family regularly then i can absolutely see that they might find their own fun. Heck Bomber isn't an angel and he has definitely on a few occasion gotten his 'revenge' on me by destroying something but each time i have realised why, that it was because of something i hadn't provided him that he thought he needed. :cry::cry:

I am also of the opinion that if you start out by walking your dog (whether it be a Boxer or any other breed) for an hour or 2 hours or whatever every day than that is the way you will need to continue. JMO. :cry:

Sorry OP for highjacking your thread! :( Hopefully i'm forgiven. :(

Edited by Melbomb

I am also of the opinion that if you start out by walking your dog (whether it be a Boxer or any other breed) for an hour or 2 hours or whatever every day than that is the way you will need to continue. JMO. :rofl:

Agreed. Your dogs get used to their routine, whether it be lots of exercise or little. If you offer them heaps of exercise, they will get used to it and expect nothing less! They will also become fitter and demand more and more to tire them out! :(

I own Labs who people say would need at least an hour walk/off lead a day. Ermm nope, not my two, they are more than happy to laze around if I don't get a chance to walk them. And they sure as heck don't get an hour of physical exercise a day!

They get that and more in training (mental stimulation) most nights. Just as tiring as physical exercise, if not more.

And to keep this post vaguely on topic, one of mine is a rescue who is being trained for obedience and agility. Some areas she is stronger in than the one I got as a pup, so you don't need to rule out rescue (unless you are deadly competitive and want to take no chances because you want nothing less than a champion! The right rescue can be a champion too, mind you.)

Wow no need to be rude about it. I've have/had 4 boxers in the last 17 years and had 3 at one time (one was my ex's) and known a number of people with boxers. Yes they can be an energetic dog but none have them have had any major crater digging obsessions etc or behavioural issues borne from not getting 1 - 2 hours energetic exercise a day. :cry:

I agree, no need to get snippy. We were sharing our experiences with the boxers that we own and live with every day! I think it is definitely important to realise that Boxers are by no means couch potato's (and to think that, indicates that maybe your friends didn't do enough breed research before getting their Boxer :rofl:) but to say that they need 1-2 hours exercise a day maybe a little bit of an exaggeration! I have found that mental stimulation is just as good if not better for tiring Bomber and it's also good to remember that Boxers like to be with people. If they are not inside dogs or seperated from their family regularly then i can absolutely see that they might find their own fun. Heck Bomber isn't an angel and he has definitely on a few occasion gotten his 'revenge' on me by destroying something but each time i have realised why, that it was because of something i hadn't provided him that he thought he needed. :cry::cry:

I am also of the opinion that if you start out by walking your dog (whether it be a Boxer or any other breed) for an hour or 2 hours or whatever every day than that is the way you will need to continue. JMO. :cry:

Sorry OP for highjacking your thread! :( Hopefully i'm forgiven. :(

Mel, how can you say that about Bomber, he was a perfect angel and gentleman when we met him !!!!

I am not sure the OP is looking for a champion...but just in case you think it is not generally done with a rescue:

Some current results from the NSW Dog of the Year Cumulative Point Score after 8 rounds:

Agility Dog of the Year

1st Rescue crossbreed

2nd crossbreed

3rd crossbreed

5th Rescue crossbreed

Jumping Dog of the Year

1st Rescue crossbreed

2nd crossbreed

4th crossbreed

5th Rescue crossbreed

I have not sure whether the crosses listed above came from rescue or not, but do know that 1st & 5th in each comp definitely came via well known Sydney Rescues from the pound.

What level of competition are we talking???. Do these results represent the best agility dogs in NSW against all the top level Border Collies, Kelpies etc???.

When I lived in Orange I started agility at Bathurst with John and Alison Abbott. One lady who was involved in trying to get the club started with them had boxers.

Her dogs were experienced and I only saw them train but they were great and had plenty of drive and scope over jumps.

And I am another one that has rescue dogs and have decided I will probably go another rescue next time. I know the good points on getting a puppy but it is still a guess as to how the pup will develope. Besides the saving life point, I like the fact the dog is mature and I don't need to wait to compet. I can get a dog that I know its energy level and I want a dog more agreeable to tugging. Plus I know its size too.

One point I try and remember as I watch the fast BC's and kelpies fly around is that I have to live with that dog. I need to provide exercise and time suitable for that breed.

And something else I am becoming more aware of is that the handler has to have the knowledge to handle the dog. My dogs are not that driven. But they are OK dogs to start with and we are getting the starting titles now in ADAA and ANKC. Each time I run I learn heaps. So your first dog doesn't have to be the fastest dog around.

Each dog is different but no reason why not boxers. Go to a agility comp or obedience comp and talk to handlers.

Have fun , its a great way to spend time with your dog and like-minded people.

My sister in law (whom we live with) has a boxer. I could definately see it doing agility. It can jump at least 5 feet straight up into the air and could probably run all day.

Having said that the poor thing does not receive enough attention, exercise or training to ever reach its full potential.

It IS do able :(

Edited by Esky the husky

Agility Dog of the Year

1st Rescue crossbreed

2nd crossbreed

3rd crossbreed

5th Rescue crossbreed

Jumping Dog of the Year

1st Rescue crossbreed

2nd crossbreed

4th crossbreed

5th Rescue crossbreed

What level of competition are we talking???. Do these results represent the best agility dogs in NSW against all the top level Border Collies, Kelpies etc???.

YES - the best dogs in NSW :welcome: The cumulative pointscore is done through the results of the Regional Qualifying Heats which are open to all dogs in NSW and one is offered at most DogsNSW trials. It was amazing watching the finals last year :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

Agility Dog of the year - 21 out of the top 40 are ANKC registered, 17 out of the top 40 are BC, kelpies or mixes of either

Jumping Dog of the Year - 18 out of the top 40 are ANKC registered, 15 out of the top 40 are BC, kelpies or mixes of either

Edited by Vickie

Boxers are graceful and fun-loving dogs. If you like the dog put that fact first, and put whatever activity second.

It doesn't have to be a puppy either. Sorry dogdude but starting from scratch with a puppy is no guarantee

really. I know several cases of expensive pure bred pups who've turned out to be disappointing and in a

couple of cases, physically not up to scratch. I think it is luck, to some extent anyway.

Go and see the dog; if you feel the "good vibes" get the dog and let happen what will. Sometimes these

rescue and pound dogs are brilliant - take the chance!

Good luck,

luvsablue,

(and rescue dog Beckie the Bluey)

I agree. I trial staffies and apparently because they are low and heavy they arnt "ideal" but you know what..........my dogs and I love the sport and we dont care. As luvsablu said if you love the dog that is the first and most important factor. I started agility after taking my girl to obedience and watching all the agility people and thinking "we are gonna do that one day" At trials you will see all types of dogs. The boxers I have seen are very enerjetic and thats what you want. Some dogs dont go well like neo mastiffs and extra large dogs that are lovely and placid and happy just to cruise along but if you have one of these dogs your probably pretty similar...very laid back. Good luck Im happy to hear new people entering the sport :mad