Companion Dog Breeds For Mum

Well, gotta do my babies! ;)

:rofl:

Bichon Frise

The Bichon Frise is quite a long-living dog and will usually live up to 16 years of age, but cared for correctly and given the correct diet will often can live up to 19 years.

The Bichon Frise has a superb temperament. It is an ideal companion dog, friendly, affectionate and enjoys contact with its human family. It should be primarily an indoor dog because of its devotion to the family. The Bichon Frise is not particularly suited to living outside.

It is always ready to play a game, take a walk, or just snuggle up for a cuddle. A breed with a wonderful attitude for life, they make an ideal companion for young and old alike.

The Bichon Frise adapts well to other pets if reared with them, or introduced to them gradually. It will cope with both cats and other dogs quite well.

The Bichon Frise is suited to anyone who wants a companion dog. The breed is considered to be "non-allergenic", by many people, and so may be the ideal dog for people with allergy problems. It is suggested, however, to visit the breeder and have contact with the dogs before purchasing to ensure that they suit if allergies are a problem.

You will not find a better dog than the Bichon Frise.

(Thought I might make that bold.. :cry:)

A small, attractive dog, with a big dog attitude, they quickly win the hearts of everyone they meet. They love life, love people, and with regular care will reward their owners with years of love and devotion.

Copied from Pedigree.com.au :eek:

BichonCrazy

Good luck!

Guest RosieFT

I don't know if you mum would like the look of a bichon after loving a staffy type dog.. but my parents' have had this breed for years now and all 3 dogs have been/are wonderful. They live in a big house with only a courtyard, within 25m of the river so the dogs get excersized, but don't demand it.

They dote on my mum and want to be wherever she is. Have spunk and personality without being OTT. They put up with my OTT fox terrier and love to have a play, but mostly just love to chill around the people they love. Are fantastic with all the grandkids that have traipsed into their lives over the years too.

BUT you do have the grooming/clipping demands to think about.

I too would be leaning toward suggesting a Greyhound. This may be the perfect compromise - still a large dog, but very laid-back and gentle, very affectionate, and a low maintenance coat to boot.

All of that AND amazing good looks! :heart:

GAP is a good program that may be worth looking into. Even if she is unsure, she could foster a grey to see if it suits her.

if my mum were alive id get her a sheltie

follow you to the end of the planet and back again over broken glass and lava

fur is a bit of a job but not nearly as bad as it looks cos it is rough

needs a brush every week or so

but not impossible like your maltese

iggies

no

they

are heat whores but thats it

not a loyal bone in them

they will follow the sun

and it wont be coming from you unless you got food lol

theyre good for winter nights for a snuggle for sure but if you want someone following you about no matter what

go for a sheltie

maybe even a pom

BichonCrazy - a DOLer after my own heart!

While I agree with most of your post, is someone who loves staffies really a bichon person???

I love my bichon, and my Mum fell in love with him too when I got him 12 years ago and went out and got herself one too. But I have friends who cringe when they look at him. They just see a wimp in sheep's clothing. I see the perfect dog!

But yes bichons do suit life in a flat and are good, sensible, quiet little dogs with a lot more sense than some SWFs. It's really a question of personal taste and also how much grooming this person wants to do.

ETA: I had an Italian Greyhound many years ago. They need more exercise than you would think from looking at them. Quiet, elegant, but not easy to train and probably need a bit more running around space. That would be my thinking, anyway.

Edited by Zug Zug

How short are we talking with fur? Swedish Vallhunds are a BIG dog in a small body, but they have a double coat. It's a short double coat, though. My little Vall is an awsome companion dog. He's a great watchdog, a total cuddle monster, dead easy to train, very people focused, and loves an off leash romp/game of tug or fetch. Valls are a little on the noisy side, though.

I wouldn't put an IG with a staffy, they are far too solid and boisterous for an IG. My IG was smashed in the chest by a staffy once as he was running to say hello, the staffy kept coming, thought he was going to die, you could hear the noise from yards away.

No matter what size the dog, more importantly to consider are the exercise needs of a particular dog - ie will they match what your mum wants to do and secondly, the grooming issues. Does she mind a shedding coat (many people do). If she wants non shedding, is she capable of putting in the effort and/or paying for the professional grooming (many people are not).

Is the dog that she chooses, going to be OK with the staffy - important if either of you need a holiday perhaps.

What does she want from a dog - does she want a lap sitter, an independent type and so on.

Edited by dogmad

Squeeee! All your suggestions have made me excited! Nearly as excited as if I were on the hunt for my own...well it will be a part of the extended family after all :(

Thanks so much for helping me gather info for mum. I'll debrief her when we catch up for dinner next then show her all the breeds youve recommended and see what takes her fancy.

If she's super keen on a pre-loved pooch I'll pop over to the rescue thread to get some more info about the process and how to go about finding a great match.

I think a staffy would be perfect. OH's Mum lives in Ireland and we are going to visit her soon and will be buying a pup for her while we're there, a staffy. His dog back home, Amstaff, died recently and his Mum is lost without him :laugh: She walks every day, works part time and is 65 and the Amstaff she had was ideal.

A staffy is fairly small, active but very loyal and people oriented, also a great little protector I think :D