Trading Post Discussion

~Shepherd~

TP  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Breeders, is TP advertising something you use now or will consider?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  2. 2. Buyers / General Public

• I wouldnt purchase reg. from the TP
    • I would purchase reg. from the TP
    • I think adverts in the TP look cheap
    • N/A

Why would it?

It's simply another advertising medium - just like Petlink.

Registered breeders are able to distinguish themselves in their ads by stating they are registered, health test etc.

If anything its showing people that there are a number of options re where a puppy can be purchased from.

x 2 :D

x3 :thumbsup:

If would be good if they could have a separate section for registered puppies though, instead of being in amongst all the BYB puppy ads.

I will probably be advertising my litter of Aussie terrier pups in there in a couple of weeks time, I will see how I go with the DOL listing first & a few other websites I have listed them on.

How would you word it to sound better than the BYB's? Would you have to include a price to remain competitive

I think by stating that you are an ANKC registered breeder & that you are offering purebred pedigree pups that come with VCA registration papers, makes your pups stand out better straight away from a BYB puppy. :rofl:

I would also state that my pups come with breeder support for the life of the pup, & also put in the advert all the extras I offer, like 7 days worth of food, Info about the breed, toys for the pup, a puppy blanket, a book on caring for & training pups. All these extras make my puppies look so much more attractive in comparison to a BYB pup that is advertised for the same price & come with none of these extras, & believe me there are so many BYB litters advertised at the moment, many of them x breeds that are priced at the same price & even more as the price I am asking for my pups.

I also forgot to add that I don't have an issue including my price ,as it is the same price that most registered Aussie terrier breeders are asking for their pups at the moment.

good on you! There is nothing wrong with advertising a price. You can either afford it or you cant, and ultimately you find out the price anyway. Why stuff around?

Exactly, & by being up front about the price, it eliminates me receiving alot of emails from people that just want to know the price & nothing more. I then only get ph calls or emails from people that have seen & accepted the price & are actually serious about a pup & not wasting my time. :rofl:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree more should advertise there, so many pet shop & byb breeders, they need to know we are here.

Putting Registered breeder, pedigree puppies, health tested etc lets them know. A price should be stated so that they can see that it won't cost them an arm & a leg in comparison.

i would like to see the price in there too.

when i first came to oz, i was looking for a bt, and i felt i couldn't ring the ads with no price, as it meant they must be really expensive, and i didn't want to feel an idiot if i couldn't afford it. :D

If you're screening your buyers and doing the right thing, it doesn't really matter where you advertise....you're always going to have poeple not suitable to you and your dogs anyway.

agreed, but I know there are a lot of negative feelings around advertising via the TP.

Not usually by the general public though, it's one of the places many families look for a pet.

If you're screening your buyers and doing the right thing, it doesn't really matter where you advertise....you're always going to have poeple not suitable to you and your dogs anyway.

agreed, but I know there are a lot of negative feelings around advertising via the TP.

Not usually by the general public though, it's one of the places many families look for a pet.

I should have specified, totally agree. Often thats the publics first visiting spot.

Alot of the general public don't even know that sites like Dol even exist & often some people are intimidated contacting a registered breeder directly becomes they think registered breeders only sell to show people. So it is just so much easier for them to look for a pup in the TP or dare I say it a pet shop.

So it would be nice if more registered breeders advertised their litters in the TP, especially their pet puppies. It would also let the puplic know that buying a pedigree puppy doesn't actually cost you an arm & a leg. :eek:

ive never had to advertise, but yes I would use TP and get out there, how can most nieve puppy buyers know there is any better? not everyone thinks to serch on the web :0) Id make very clear that pups were health tested!

Have used it once when we had an older pup to sell, unfortunately those that rang had never heard of the breed and wanted to know what sort of a cross breed it was but I got the chance to educate some people on the breed.

I think there is nothing wrong with advertising in the TP. But i would have thought you would get a lot more tyre kickers, generally bizarre people, people who dont know the breed etc etc ringing up. I'd actually like to know how the TP ads compare to the ads here on DOL, in terms of the people they attract. I think the DOL ads would attract more serious, educated buyers but I guess that would not always be the case.

It would really be a step in the right direction to see registered breeders and rescue organisation advertisments out numbering the BYB & PF ads that are in the TP at this point of time.

Mike Arms made a fantastic point in that to compete with the PF, BYB and pet shops we have to advertise right along side them.

It would really be a step in the right direction to see registered breeders and rescue organisation advertisments out numbering the BYB & PF ads that are in the TP at this point of time.

Mike Arms made a fantastic point in that to compete with the PF, BYB and pet shops we have to advertise right along side them.

The ethical registered breeders do not have any competition from the puppy farmers, BYBer's or the pet shops.

The ethical registered breeders do not have any competition from the puppy farmers, BYBer's or the pet shops.

But you do as so many of the general public have no idea about ethical registered breeders. How are the general public supposed to know about ethical registered breeders if they only advertisments they see are those of PF, BYB & pet shops? So many of the general public has no clue that there are canine associations, breed clubs or even websites like DOL. If they have no clue and there are no adverts by ethical registered breeders how are they going to find one or even be educated that there is a better alternative to buying from a petshop, BYB or PF?

Edited by puggy_puggy

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been said already. I think advertising in the TP is a great idea because thats where so many people look to find an animal. It is better to give people the oportunity of dealing with ethical, regestered breeders rather than backyard breeders. It is a good oportunity to help educate the general public and raise awareness on buying form a registered breeder vs backyard breeders.

I just called a Melbourne pet store as I read something suss. She told me her 'English Staffies' were from a reg. breeder and she has seen the pedigree. She said they dont get in trouble, but the breeder does if caught. What the? She then proceeded to tell me she was a reg. breeder.

The people that come to me, do so wanting a pedigree dog, therefore the pet shops etc are no competition at all, as they do not supply what I have.

I think they do. They also supply family pets and also have the balls to write that purebreds are inbred for showing purposes. I just read an ad for a 'snow shepherd' in victoria. It was really convincing to those who dont know about other stuff. So there is your competition. It needs to be corrected and balanced.

The people that come to me, do so wanting a pedigree dog, therefore the pet shops etc are no competition at all, as they do not supply what I have.

That sounds very elitist. Because the general public have no clue about pedigree dogs they do not deserve to ever own one or to be educated about them? Many of the general public think that all points of supply have the same product. Ethical registered breeders should be trying to educate the public about the pros of pedigree dogs and also protect the future of thier breed by promoting them. I would think that one way to do so is would advertise along side others offering 'inferior' products to show people there is a better option.

It's not elitist, it's the truth. The people that come to me and many others like me, so so because they want a pedigree animal. I've lost count of the number of people I have spoken to who have said " we want a registered dog this time" " or " we want a dog with papers".

I have never found the BYBer, petshop, PF to be in direct competition with me. Well bred pups from ethical registered breeders are somewhat scarce, compared to the number of buyers looking for them and to be honest, we are not even competiting amongst ourselves for a sale, it's a constant circle of referrals, trying to assist buyers to find the pedigree puppy they want.