My Mini Schnauzer's Ears Keep Standing Up

I have a 5 1/2 month old miniature schnauzer who is just a delight. Her ears seem to have a mind of their own and one or both of them will often be standing up. I would prefer them down like they are supposed to be. I have read somewhere that teething affects ears, but will they eventually go back down again? I know it doesn't really matter as she is just a pet, she just looks so adorable when they are floppy, and looks like a bat with them up. Any ideas?

My mini schnauzer's ears didn't go down and he is 8 yrs old this year :laugh: But his ears were down when he was younger..they just stood up when he turned 7 months old..not that it bothers me as he is not a show dog. I think it could be genetics?

had the opposite problem, my Bostons ears wanted to go down but after she was finished teething they went up and stayed up.

i know you can sometimes tape the ears to make them do what you want so maybe google that if you are concerned about the ears.

Oh dear Becks, what a shame you think her ear will stay up.

Hesapandabear, thanks for the links. I did consider trying something like that but my husband told me I was cruel and won't let me. I'm going to call the breeder later today and see what she says. All of her dogs had floppy ears.

I'll get over it if she continues to look like a bat, it's just disappointing. We decided on a pure breed for many reasons, one being we would know what she would turn out like, guess that theory has gone out the window.

Oh well maybe the other ear might go up to. At least she will look even then. :thumbsup: Husband has renamed her 'Batgirl' just to annoy me. lol

Thanks guys

Hi Tara Taylor

My old boy had bat ears and after the initial disappointment, I like them - he looked like the easter bunny :thumbsup: . Monty's ears have gone up since he turned 10 years old, I have had his ears look at under anaesthesia (whilst having a dental) and my vets can't give me a real reason why as he always had a beautiful ear set.

post-4430-1274656042_thumb.jpg

Edited by schnauzer

If there ears sat correctly as a baby they should settle,if they havent been good all along like Becks ha said they will stand.

The most important advice i can give is Minis are notorious for retaining baby teeth ,so make sure her baby teeth are falling out & if they arent budging get them removed.

This can greatly affect ears .

Also dont rub them upwards & encourage the muscle to strengthen.

If your dog has alot of american lines we do find them more predisposed to standing upwards .

Has her ears been clipped & plucked correctly??

Her teeth are coming along nicely. I had to help one come out a couple of weeks ago but they all look great now. The groomer we take her to was recommended to us by schnauzer so i'm sure she is doing a great job, we are happy with her. I have been massaging them down while watching tv and it will stay down for an hour of so after, but works it's way back up again.

I spoke to her breeder who told me to glue them down and offered to do it for us but we are about 3 hours away. She told me how to do it so i'll give it a go. She says that they will be ok after a week or so, as long as i do it straight away as her ear has only popped up a few days ago.

Schnauzer, I'm sure we will get used to it if gluing doesn't work, the kids have always wanted a rabbit! :thumbsup:

Her teeth are coming along nicely. I had to help one come out a couple of weeks ago but they all look great now. The groomer we take her to was recommended to us by schnauzer so i'm sure she is doing a great job, we are happy with her. I have been massaging them down while watching tv and it will stay down for an hour of so after, but works it's way back up again.

I spoke to her breeder who told me to glue them down and offered to do it for us but we are about 3 hours away. She told me how to do it so i'll give it a go. She says that they will be ok after a week or so, as long as i do it straight away as her ear has only popped up a few days ago.

Schnauzer, I'm sure we will get used to it if gluing doesn't work, the kids have always wanted a rabbit! :thumbsup:

Hi TT,

My breeder did glue my older boy's ears down - I would never do it again though.

You may find that the ear settles once she finishes teething. Either way, she is still adorable. :banghead: