Is She Too Young?

I am planning on trialling my girl.

This will be my first time as well as hers.

My instructor today at club said she was too young and immature right now.

Boston is one today and is a boxer.

This is the first time she has instructed us. So how would she know.

Should we go in and just she how she goes?

Or wait a while longer?

scout

Is she capable now of doing all the exercises strung together with no training aids or motivators and will she hold her stays?

How will she cope with your trialling nerves?

My guess is your instructor might be seeing indications of lack of focus or nerves??

What discipline are you trialling in? Obedience, agility etc?

I think it is less about age and more about the dog as an individual. Have you done any mock trials/ring run outs with her?

I think it is less about age and more about the dog as an individual. Have you done any mock trials/ring run outs with her?

It won't be agility huski - dog is too young, at least for ANKC agility trialling.

It won't be agility huski - dog is too young, at least for ANKC agility trialling.

Can you tell I know nothing about agility?? :):laugh:

ok since this is new to me, i am hoping i am answering you guys all the information you are asking to give me good advice.

My nerves are fine actually. Was pulled up today not standing still at the 2min drop and leave.

I was moving my arms onto my hips and moving my legs from side to side (swaying so-to-speak)

Trialling in obedience - sorry

she DOES wiggle a little when someone comes up to touch her (stand for examination)

Each time we have had a internal comp she has won or come second - so goes up to the next class.

also yes, stringing a few commands together is ok as well.

so what are the rules.

no food? am i correct?

scout

Edited by Scouty

so what are the rules.

no food? am i correct?

scout

Here's the link to the Australian National Kennel Council website http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx scroll down to obedience to download the rule book. You will be aiming at commencing your trialling career in Community Companion Dog (CCD).

You are probably a way off from being ready to trial, but will give you something to aim for. Go along to an obedience trial and have a look at the CCD class, which is nearly all on lead. If you feel that your girl is ready try her in a mock trial. To enter trials you will need to be a member of Dogs Victoria and your dog be either a registered pedigree or you will need to apply for an associate register number and purchase a trial entry book. Trials are listed in the Dogs Victoria magazine.

Good luck :)

I am planning on trialling my girl.

This will be my first time as well as hers.

My instructor today at club said she was too young and immature right now.

Boston is one today and is a boxer.

This is the first time she has instructed us. So how would she know.

Should we go in and just she how she goes?

Or wait a while longer?

scout

The best thing you could do Scouty is go to a trial and see what's actually involved. Don't be so quick to brush your instructor off either - has he/she trialed before? If so he/she might see some things that need polishing before you step into the ring - maybe you could ask your instructor what you need to work on. You could also ask your instructor if he/she knows of any trials coming up in your area that you could go along to - even offer to steward for your club if they're holding a trial in the near future (always a good way to get a birds-eye-view of what's involved in a trial :thumbsup: )

so what are the rules.

no food? am i correct?

scout

Here's the link to the Australian National Kennel Council website http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx scroll down to obedience to download the rule book. You will be aiming at commencing your trialling career in Community Companion Dog (CCD).

You are probably a way off from being ready to trial, but will give you something to aim for. Go along to an obedience trial and have a look at the CCD class, which is nearly all on lead. If you feel that your girl is ready try her in a mock trial. To enter trials you will need to be a member of Dogs Victoria and your dog be either a registered pedigree or you will need to apply for an associate register number and purchase a trial entry book. Trials are listed in the Dogs Victoria magazine.

Good luck :thumbsup:

bully, fantastic information you have given me.

i get dogs vic already and Boston is registered.

yes CCD sounds familar.

am going off to look now

thanks a million Bully.

We can do some off lead work already. But am going to look into it now so we are MORE prepared

scout

Hi Scouty :thumbsup:

Your girl is gorgeous! Just thought i'd add a little - I have an 8 month old Australian Shepherd who I was really hoping to trial by the end of the year - so about 1 year as well, but I really think i'm rushing her - now I know I don't know anything about your girl at all, but after seeing some other dogs working and in trials, I can tell Lottie just isn't ready - Yes she can do pretty much everything (our drops were a bit of an issue, but alot better at the moment), but she just doesn't have the focus yet, well she does, but I doubt i'd be able to do it all without having treats on me, haha!!! So I'd say definately go along to some trials, maybe even youtube them and that way you'll be able to tell if your girl is ready!!!!!! Goodluck with it all - I can't wait to be trialing, you never know, maybe by the end of the year I hope!!! hehe!!!

First time instructing you - she might not know if you were having an off day.

All dogs in my agility class had an off day last week and we had a new instructor who wondered how we'd passed grade 5 - our recalls had gone to hell...

Well not as bad as they were when they started but not great.

But competition has loads of extra distractions. If you actually go watch one - you will see dogs you thought were reliable have "off days" and dogs that have never done a proper heel in competition and you wonder why they got entered at all.

You do need to be able to do a recall off lead and a sit and down stay off lead for CCD. All the heel work is on lead. It also helps if your dog will stay in the stay when other dogs run off, or run over and greet and sit on your dog.

I believe age doesnt matter. As long as you and your dog are confident in all the required trialling exercises, then go for it. If you arent quite up to scratch just yet, then take the time to work your way up. Just as long as you and your pup are having fun!

Definately get along to a trial, you will learn alot and it will give you an idea as to what you are aiming for.

I entered my Rottweiler in her first obedience trial at 12 months and she had her CD 3 months later. She was young and immature but had a pretty good handle on the exercises.

Edited by jesomil

gs - just missed your post sorry!

ok, yes we have a club coming up - i might just put my hand up to steward there.

Focus, i know that we do not have that totally on board 100%. Theres a problem there.

Please don't get me wrong, i was not bagging the instructor, just thats she's only seen a snapshot on the day. Compaired to alot of other instructors that have encouraged me to enter. :thumbsup:

Looks at this stage just going there to watch/steward will be the right thing to do right now.

thanks again.

scout

I would be an instructor who would advise you to wait even if your dog were the best in the club! You need to go to a couple of trials and watch how things are done and have a good idea of the rules for your class. As others have suggested, stewarding is a great idea. You get to see lots more than just standing on the sidelines and you are also giving back to your club. Attending mock trials are also a good idea if there are any in your area. Good luck! Once bitten by the trialling bug its hard to get a free weekend!!!! :thumbsup:

gs - just missed your post sorry!

ok, yes we have a club coming up - i might just put my hand up to steward there.

Focus, i know that we do not have that totally on board 100%. Theres a problem there.

Please don't get me wrong, i was not bagging the instructor, just thats she's only seen a snapshot on the day. Compaired to alot of other instructors that have encouraged me to enter. :thumbsup:

Looks at this stage just going there to watch/steward will be the right thing to do right now.

thanks again.

scout

Some instructors seem to think its good for new triallers to get out there and get their feet wet in the trialling scene.

Others don't believe in encouraging newbies to enter if they think they're likely to fail.

Its just different approaches. If your current instructor thinks you're not ready, ask her what she thinks you need to work on before you enter.

Things like trialling ettiquette, ringcraft, footwork can all be worked on before you ever darken a ring. :thumbsup: It's not just "no food". You cannot talk to the dog during exercises, you should walk straight lines, with three clear paces and do tidy turns to encourage your dog to heel well.

And stewarding is a great way to see what's really involved.

Edited by poodlefan

I don't think there is such a thing as a dog being too young necessarily but it depends on what your long term plans are, if the dog is ready, if your an experienced handler, what your goals are etc.

I have seen dogs who are well and truely ready to enter by the time they are 12 months.

If you are only wanting to train the dog to CCD/CD level and get a title and you don't care about scores then it might be worth a shot. If your eventual goal is a UD title and decent scores along the way then there is no point in rushing things. Its only 9 trials to a UD title if you pass each and every trial and the dog is trained.

Its certainly a valuable experience to attend a few trials and watch what happens before you enter.

Hi Scouty, if you are not happy with your instructor's advice ask one of the experinced triallers at your club, of which there are many, have you ever had a run through in the ring, that is the best place to determine if you are ready for trialling. Did you go to Mornington's trial on Sunday, I hope you enjoyed yourself and got some valuable insight on what standard is required to trial.

Hi Scouty, if you are not happy with your instructor's advice ask one of the experinced triallers at your club, of which there are many, have you ever had a run through in the ring, that is the best place to determine if you are ready for trialling. Did you go to Mornington's trial on Sunday, I hope you enjoyed yourself and got some valuable insight on what standard is required to trial.

I am guessing you are local!!

Do you go to my club?

Will def ask this weeekdn if i can steward or at least help out at our next comp.

Sorry did not go to Morningtons trial.

Must have a look when the next local one is.