Weaves

I need to buy or make weave poles for training at home. I think 6 will be fine to begin with. I was thinking of getting tomato stakes, sticking them in the ground then putting the pvc pipe over the top, not sure if this will work :rofl: . Alternatively I found these on ebay which I just need to buy the pvc pipe for - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-STAKES-WEAVE-POLE...=item563190c0d9. I have seen plastic garden stakes at Bunnings before so will check them out but I have no faith in my equipment making skills :eek: .

I need to buy or make weave poles for training at home. I think 6 will be fine to begin with. I was thinking of getting tomato stakes, sticking them in the ground then putting the pvc pipe over the top, not sure if this will work :rofl: . Alternatively I found these on ebay which I just need to buy the pvc pipe for - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-STAKES-WEAVE-POLE...=item563190c0d9. I have seen plastic garden stakes at Bunnings before so will check them out but I have no faith in my equipment making skills :eek: .

Yep, tomato stakes work. So do electric fence poles.

So do electric fence poles.

Yep, i'm going to be setting up a little agility course over the june/july holidays, and i've got some white electric fence poles that you step on and push into the ground that i'm going to use for starters :rofl: I just got mine from a produce shop when I had the horses!!

Edit because I quoted the wrong person sorry!! hehe

Edited by LuvLottie

Yep you can get the fence posts from stock feed places, that's where I got mine for my jumps.

I made 6 stick in poles using brass retic spikes form Bunnings, 1m lengths of PVC and a coupler fitting, glued the retic spike into one end of the coupler and the PVC into the other, they work okay although the metal spikes are a little bit bent but nothing too bad.

I have 2 sets of those stakes from ebay. They are easy peasy if you want a cheaters way to have nice poles, just paint stripes and put end caps on the top.

The nails can bend eventually, that's all I've found, but our soil is quite clay-ish and I'm not gentle with them. :D

ETA: If you decide to buy them, and you're going to teach using 2x2, buy 12, you'll need more than six pretty quickly.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Yep you can get the fence posts from stock feed places, that's where I got mine for my jumps.

I made 6 stick in poles using brass retic spikes form Bunnings, 1m lengths of PVC and a coupler fitting, glued the retic spike into one end of the coupler and the PVC into the other, they work okay although the metal spikes are a little bit bent but nothing too bad.

What is a retic spike?

The aisle with all the reticulation fittings and maybe hoses :laugh: There should be a few types there, one of the other types is the same but with only one sideways pipe (if that makes sense :thumbsup: )

I went to Bunnings and got some pvc coated metal gaden stakes which were good as they have a spike and some pipe to put over them. Only cost me $22 and gives me something to start with at least.

003-22.jpg

002-32.jpg

I'll look for the metal retic spikes the next time I'm at Bunnings.

I have been using plastic garden stakes from bunnings, they are black and stick straight in the ground. I have been advised against using metal ones with larger dogs because they have little give and dogs may not learn the 2 step as quickly or be timid to slam thier body against them.

Tiggy I was going to try those stakes, but they dont seem like they would push into the ground easily, my dirt is quite firm, I ended up getting the cheap wooden ones and basing them in with a hammer but I need to put on gloves to touch them or Ill wind up with splinters all over my hands. Ill have to take a look at Bunnings for the other things and try those :laugh:

Edited by GoldenGirl85

Tiggy I was going to try those stakes, but they dont seem like they would push into the ground easily, my dirt is quite firm, I ended up getting the cheap wooden ones but I need to put on gloves to touch them or Ill wind up with splinters all over my hands. Ill have to take a look at Bunnings for the other things and try those :)

I have to hammer them in with a mallet :laugh: .

Tiggy I was going to try those stakes, but they dont seem like they would push into the ground easily, my dirt is quite firm, I ended up getting the cheap wooden ones but I need to put on gloves to touch them or Ill wind up with splinters all over my hands. Ill have to take a look at Bunnings for the other things and try those :)

I have to hammer them in with a mallet :laugh: .

haha, I just read that they are metal, Im sure the ones I looked at were plastic, they wouldnt have withstood a hammer lol

I need to buy or make weave poles for training at home. I think 6 will be fine to begin with. I was thinking of getting tomato stakes, sticking them in the ground then putting the pvc pipe over the top, not sure if this will work :laugh: . Alternatively I found these on ebay which I just need to buy the pvc pipe for - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-STAKES-WEAVE-POLE...=item563190c0d9. I have seen plastic garden stakes at Bunnings before so will check them out but I have no faith in my equipment making skills :rofl: .

there is a bloke in Kwinana who makes Agility equipment at a very reasonable price, some of the other WA people may remember who he is I had

the strap for the distance made by a upholestry place that also was pretty cheap. Ask around some of the dog folk will know where you can get

them or if you know someone who can weld then they may make them for you, I bought the steel from a used stuff place and my neighbour

made them for me as he welds, the welding of course was for the height thingys to put the cross bar on. I did use pvc in the beginning with sharpened

bits of wood in the beginning but they sort of broke pretty easily Beagie