Banshee's Tummy Bump

Poor girl has had such a crappy life so far, I was hoping she could just relax and enjoy being warm and loved for a while.
I hear you yellowgirl. I wish one of mine would get that message.
... there's no improvement, it's probably cruciate damage, and the next step is sedation and xrays, and then an operation ... and I don't want to think about it.

Geeze, she's lucky I love her :D

Yes she is lucky you love her :) .

With regard to her leg, I'd be going for a second opinion. I know you will probably end up on no speaking terms with all the vets ( :):cheer: ), but cutting may not be necessary.

Hugs and kisses to YOU and then for the other gorgeous 4.

maybe a silly question... :rofl:

how can there be a phantom pregnancy with NO reproductive equipment left??? Do speys these days just remove ovaries, or what? ..And if there is still a uterus in there- how do we know there are not embryos as well? ...

With regard to her leg, I'd be going for a second opinion. I know you will probably end up on no speaking terms with all the vets ( :rofl::rofl: ), but cutting may not be necessary.

Hugs and kisses to YOU and then for the other gorgeous 4.

Thank you dear MM :D . I think there will probably be third and fourth opinions involved if her leg doesn't improve.

maybe a silly question... :D

how can there be a phantom pregnancy with NO reproductive equipment left??? Do speys these days just remove ovaries, or what? ..And if there is still a uterus in there- how do we know there are not embryos as well? ...

I know!! Apparently Banshee started the phantom pregnancy before she was speyed, and the vet seems to think that it will settle down fairly quickly now that the hormones and equipment have been removed.

I can't contact the vet who did the spey, which is very frustrating, as my original thought was IF the uterus is still intact is it possible for her to continue a pregnancy??

Hmmm...

I've seen dogs with phantoms - we recently speyed a rescue Dane who was having a phantom at the time. From what you've described and from the photos it really doesn't look like a phantom, but then having just been desexed I guess it's possible.

I hope they're right....

Oh man. Another opinion do you think Stormie? The vet seemed very certain, Banshee's mammery glands were a bit swollen which seemed to be the decider for the vet.

Banshee isn't in any pain, she lets me poke and prod her tummy and it doesn't bother her. Appetite is great, poohs are great.

I'm still a bit confused myself, she was speyed 2 and a half weeks ago, would there still be enough hormones to continue a phantom pregnancy after that amount of time? :thumbsup:

What do you (or your lovely vet) really think it might be? Should I see yet another vet?

Well, he could only go by the photos really, and just now when I told him you were told phantom, he thought it a bit strange and probably not what he'd have thought, but again, he's not prodding and probing or anything.

It's just a weird looking swelling but again, could have been the angle of the photos.

If she's otherwise well and normal, it's unlikely to be anything bad, like they tied off something important (and believe me, this can happen!!).

I wouldn't worry too much - if it gets bigger/worse etc then worry, but if the vet thinks its a phantom, then I'd say trust them and go with that. Not something i've ever seen with the swelling like that, but not to say it doesn't happen, because it can happen in people so why not!!

Short answer to the phantom is that yes, even though you've removed the ovaries, it will take a while for the hormones flooding her body to settle down. :heart:

I've seen it before as well but when the bitch got to about 6 weeks *pregnant* she all of a sudden snapped back to a regular bitch with no babies due :laugh: She may even get milk! :rofl:

How is little Banshee going?

Banshee is still her usual crazy, gorgeous, kissable self :)

I was finally able to contact the vet who did the spey, and she said the uterus was definitely removed along with the ovaries. We have an appointment tomorrow so the original vet can have a look at her. She seemed a bit sceptical about it being a phantom pregnancy. I think it may be correct though ...the bump is reducing now, mainly her mammery glands that are still a bit swollen.

We have to see the second vet again next week about Banshee's leg, the vet gave her anti-inflammatories for it last week, and they do seem to be helping.

Thanks t-time, the vet checked for milk too :) .

Thanks for your input Stormie, very much appreciated :)

Thank you Colliepaws ;)

Extraordinary indeed .... Welcome to my life! :) .

Will see how we go tonight, we've got the vet visit with the first vet so she can check her tummy, and then a visit on Mon night with the second vet to check out her leg :rofl::thumbsup:. Not really looking forward to either as Banshee screams and thrashes with both vets :rofl: (probably won't be the highlight of the vets' day either :laugh: )