How To Get Rid Of A Mouse Problem With Out Affecting The Dogs

BustaGirl

Oh i got those damn mice, i think i am fattening them up, peanut butter, vegemite, you name i have tried, even bombed the house out but to no avail, I am totally lost in what i can do.

I even see the little critters running over the carpet, I might as well give them tea and scones, that is how game they are.

Please Please any idea's anyone on how to rid these mice, traps are set but just dont seem to go off when they take the suff off,

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, they're trap smart. I haven't had any in this house for 10 years!!! Very alert dogs here.

In my old house I set traps and they were taking the bait without setting off the traps. We used a small piece of salami and tied it onto the trap with cotton. That did the trick, we caught the whole family of about 7 mice.

<<<Please Please any idea's anyone on how to rid these mice, traps are set but just dont seem to go off when they take the stuff off,>>>

yep :D

buy the grey plastic traps from your supermarket ..'Safe &Sure'. http://www.flickr.com/photos/binjy/4495242494/ Bait the little disk with a SMEAR -not a spoonful- of peanut butter, or partially melted parmesan cheese .. set and wait for the snap!

Set traps so the mice can easily enter from the front of the trap... not the side.

Sorry- buttons for quotes, links etc not working :eat:

PB210057.jpg

I lost this puppy who ate a mouse/rat that had eaten some of the Talon bait that I only placed on a high shelf in the pool filter box accessible only via a mouse sized hole around the pool pipe entry point and then climbing up a pole to the shelf.

She accessed the pool garden on the Saturday night and I thought nothing of it, except that the door lock was malfunctioning as she was not normally allowed in the pool garden in case she fell in the pool, and she did not show symptoms till the Monday afternoon when she was ataxic - staggering. Immediately rushed to vet but no idea what was wrong with her. Vet turned out not to have facilities for blood testing on site so 20 more hours was lost until he got back results of clotting factors the next afternoon.

Too late. She died of cerebral haemorrhaging three days later. I never got to say goodbye to her.

It broke my heart.

I will have no baits on my property and I watch my new girl like a hawk. My new golden puppy is now 8 months old. She is my precious girl.

No baits. No chemicals of any kind. No matter what.

Two new mousers. One's name is Felicity Mouse and is a Siamese Blue Point and the other is a Guineau Fowl chick called Primo being raised by her adoptive chook mum. Kitten is three months old and being "trained" by me. Allowed into pool garden area late afternoon for an hour or so. Massive clean up of all outdoor areas to remove every possible shelter area for a rodent. So far ... only a couple of droppings in pool filter box area. I live in the country with horses and poultry so bush rats and mice are a reality.

Edited by harryviolet

I am sos so so sorry to hear about your loss harryviolet

I have set 3 traps behind my oven along the wall & the bait has just gone & the traps have not been set off :)

I just brought some of the grey plastic mouse traps & will set these up & see how I go.

OMG that is so sad to lose a lovely little girl, my heart breaks for you. Harrytviolet I have traps down and i will be trying some meat and cotton to rid these damn mice,

thanks to everyone for there suggestions. I have bombed the house out but the little blighters still seem to get in. I will try anything to get rid of these pesky rodents.

I do have a rat trap up in my chook house which is a council recyclable square plastic bin with straight sides about 30 cm high and I have added some nails on each side which hold a piece of wooden round curtain rod. On this is placed an empty tin (a Milo tin) which has a hole added carefully to the bottom and it is threaded on the rod. The thing is to have it so the tin easily spins on the rod so the hole has to be just the right size and ground a bit. Fill the tub with water. Then add peanut butter to the top of the tin and the rat will walk along the rod, touch the tin in the middle which should spin as soon as it is touched, and the rat will fall into the water and if the water level is correct, it will not be able to get out - ie should be lower than the rod so it cannot get back up on the rod but also high enough that it cannot just sit in the water with its head out of the water. I think this would be a relatively quick death in which the rat's fight and flight response would ensure lots of endorphin release so it would drown within a few minutes. Cannot harm your dogs should they decide to pluck the drowned body out and eat it.

Edited by harryviolet