How To Get Rid Of A Mouse Problem With Out Affecting The Dogs

BustaGirl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use trapw when I can, but have also had great success with a bait called 'pestmaster'. It does not ahrm the dogs in any way, my poodle has been the culprit in eating the bait straight from the box (who knew she could get under the fridge, go figure) with no side effects. I have them set out all the time near the dog food etc. We have a plague in Alice at the moment, and this weekend the war will begin, not happy at having mice in my cupboards.....

No way would I leave Pestmaster poison where a dog can get to it. It contains Brodifacoum which is lethal to dogs. It is not safe if ingested by dogs. Please don't reassure people it won't harm their animals. It will kill them either slowly or quickly, depending on how much of it they've eaten.

We had a wild storm here a few weeks ago and a throw pack of rat poison blew into my yard along with green pellets that washed under the fence with earth from my neighbours garden. I suspected my dogs might have eaten some. I asked my neighbour if he had rat poison in his yard. He said he did and wrote down the ingredients listed on the packet. It contained Brodifacoum.

I came across this packet of poison 24 hours after the storm and took my dogs to the vet for a blood clotting test the next morning. One dog was normal, the other one was not. He had Vit K injections and was on Vit K tablets for 3 weeks when another blood test was done. His final test was normal. He'd eaten some poison and would have suffered internal bleeding but for prompt vet treatment. The vet told me Brodifacoum was a second generation rodent poison and very potent.

I have just discussed this with my vet this week after a fright with a rat in the weekend. He said it is extremely unlikely a dog will be affected by eating 1 dead rat or mouse, their stomach are too small to contain a significant amount of the poison. He said in all his years as a vet the only cases he has seen is where dogs have got into significant amounts of the bait itself. He also gave me a brochure for a bait which is being sold as safe for pets. I unfortunately can’t remember the name of it

Yay Patch!! :rolleyes:

I couldn't believe it when he caught not one, but then 2 of them! I assumed the first one was a fluke ;)

I was awake for most of the first night paranoid that he was going to vomit up mouse.

we have a thing called mousicles in this house. i trap them, trap goes snap then the fighting starts... they all want a suck.... no body eats the mouse. the just slobber on it... and leave it for me to step on..... roolly nice! :D :)

we have a thing called mousicles in this house. i trap them, trap goes snap then the fighting starts... they all want a suck.... no body eats the mouse. the just slobber on it... and leave it for me to step on..... roolly nice! :):(

:D

what if the dog was to eat a mouse that had died from bait poisoning?? would this harm in the same way?

YES - and the dog can be very sick before you even notice

This is a worry for me at the moment. I manage a dairy farm that is over run with rats and mice due to the pallets fed to cows at milking. My cat eats mice that he catches and my Kelpie Ruby constantly hunts and sometimes catches mice or rats. I havnt seen her eat one yet. Our boss wants me to lay baits and I said no, but Im going to have to work out a way to lessen the population somehow. Do rats carry lepto??

what if the dog was to eat a mouse that had died from bait poisoning?? would this harm in the same way?

YES - and the dog can be very sick before you even notice

This is a worry for me at the moment. I manage a dairy farm that is over run with rats and mice due to the pallets fed to cows at milking. My cat eats mice that he catches and my Kelpie Ruby constantly hunts and sometimes catches mice or rats. I havnt seen her eat one yet. Our boss wants me to lay baits and I said no, but Im going to have to work out a way to lessen the population somehow. Do rats carry lepto??

Did you see the posts about the Rat Zapper??? Ratzapper This might be useful in your case :D What's lepto?

I read somewhere that a safer "poison" you can make yourself is a dry mixture of cement and cornflour. The cornflour attracts the rats/mice, then the cement mixes with their body fluids and blocks them up so they die. Nasty but effective and less risk to other animals (I think...) But I have no experience with this as I still prefer the fast kill.

Will never cease to amaze me how some people can be so cruel to 'certain' animals just because they are considered vermin. Feed them cement? Drown them in a trap? Unbelievable. In some countries, dogs are considered pests. Imagine the uproar if that was done to a dog. Mice and rats deserve a humane death.

Will never cease to amaze me how some people can be so cruel to 'certain' animals just because they are considered vermin. Feed them cement? Drown them in a trap? Unbelievable. In some countries, dogs are considered pests. Imagine the uproar if that was done to a dog. Mice and rats deserve a humane death.

Kirty - Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't use those methods and I try to discourage people from using cruelty but if I'm looking at someone who feels they have to use poison and making a choice between laying out second generation poison or laying out cement-laced cornflour then I'd rather they did the latter.

But I agree - there are much more humane methods out there that people should use, the Rat Zapper is quick and relatively painless, not that expensive and does a long term job.

Does anyone know if there is a similar alternative as they have no stock left there? FUnnily enough I've just discovered rat poo and a large rat hole in the wall in the granny flat out the back!!! :rofl: So I need something soonish too.

The only other way I can think of that is as immediate and quick as zappers is shooting the little divils (and I know some people who do exactly that - rats I'm talking about not mice LMAO) but I'm not experienced with rifles and would probably shoot myself in the foot hee hee :laugh:

Kirty- Being 'cruel' to mice is not the objective.. or done with a desire to consciously torture them . I guess folks use what they think is effective and what is available.

It IS a bit tricky tho to catch each mouse and inject the green dream :eek::laugh:..and catch/release is just plain irresponsible!

I am all for the use of good traps. the snap sort which ,9 times out of 10, deliver a death blow fairly quickly.

I have tried the cement/plaster idea--- didn't really like the idea ...mice dying when the stuff expands in their stomachs, rupturing them and causing a painful death.

Sticky traps? Don't start me on those! Disgusting invention.

'Humane traps" :laugh: Mice are trapped and then try to chew/dig out. if there are multiple mice, often one or more will die, and then the others may cannibalise it .... stress causes all sorts of behaviours . yes, I have tried those traps too . I have dunked the traps in a bucket of (warm) water, and watched the pitiful bubbles ...

:rofl:

give me a good strong plastic snap trap ..a compressed spine/broken neck and a realtively fast death for the poor little things...They die with a delicious smell in their little noses ... there are a lot worse ways.

I apologise to each mouse.... and use the bodies for hawks/butcherbirds or the cats .

Do rats carry lepto??

Leptospirosis?

In a tropical wet environment they do.

Doubtful in your Gippsland Dairy. But try to avoid having water pool in areas where you animals are, diseases like that can be best avoided by keeping everything dry where possible.

Do rats carry lepto??

Leptospirosis?

In a tropical wet environment they do.

Doubtful in your Gippsland Dairy. But try to avoid having water pool in areas where you animals are, diseases like that can be best avoided by keeping everything dry where possible.

Where I come from in NZ some rats carried Leptospirosis. I had friends that lost their Dobbie to it. I used to vaccinate my dogs for lepto in NZ but havnt over here as they havnt been involved with rats until being on this farm. I will talk to my local vet about it I think. There are a few wet areas in the dairy :rofl:

Edited by kelpiekaye

Did you see the posts about the Rat Zapper??? Ratzapper This might be useful in your case :rofl: What's lepto?

Yep, I found the Rat Zapper and am going to look into it. Cheers

Lepto, Leptopirosis is a virus that rats carry and spread in their urine. It can cause a dog to become very sick and maybe death. We had it in NZ and vaccinated against it. Im going to talk to my vet about it as soon as I can.