How To Get Rid Of A Mouse Problem With Out Affecting The Dogs

BustaGirl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if the dog was to eat a mouse that had died from bait poisoning?? would this harm in the same way?

yes :dancingelephant:

we have way too many mice- but cannot use poison, as the guineafowl, cats/dogs/chooks/magpies/owls etc all eat mice , alive and/or dead. Too much risk!!

We have 3 dog house and not one of them can catch the mice that come and go! And their access point is a hole under the stairs (that goes to under the house) that one of the doggies made as her own version of a doggy door! I use a couple of different traps with varying success. Can't think of the brand names but I got them at Bunnings and they are hard plastic things. One is like a trap that closes over the whole mouse so you can release them somewhere else (but not near my home thank you!) I smear peanut butter inside as the sticky mess seems to need more mouse effort to remove. The other item I bought was around $25. It is like a large plastic book which a smoky grey lid that slides on and off. The mice walk in and can't walk out. I've caught and released quite a few using this thing. No bait required and I have no idea why it works but it does.

what if the dog was to eat a mouse that had died from bait poisoning?? would this harm in the same way?

YES I can vouch after being at the vets last week with my dogs all five had the emetic and the three who fiddled with the dead rat got Vit K

That will be $800 thank you very much!

Even if you have mice YOU can bet anything they visit the neighbours and they may have baits out, so a dead mouse wherever it dies may be picked up by a dog. The Warfarin they use to kill them is very slow and painful and kills them after 12 hours( the process starts then) so it can take a few days for the mouse, dog whatever to die.

BE careful havin just gone through this experience it is not a nice one.

Thankyou will make sure i am not using baits any more. i'll let the cat do the dirty work the kitten is a pretty good mouser keeps bringing home rats ewwwwwww

I've always used traps, no poison, just put them inside cupboards or up on shelves, out of reach.

A little OT but the other night my boy wouldn't come inside, which is virtually unheard of especially in the rain, so out I trudge. Under the fence just out of reach is a white rat just looking up at us both. Now I really know nothing about rats, but would this be a wild rat? Surely white rats wouldn't last long in the 'wilds' of suburbia? or am I wrong?

I have used these with great success, just put a bit of bird seed into it. I purchased them from Super Cheap Auto. and they are not very expensive.

http://www.humanemousetrap.com.au/

I was just going to post about these too. We had some mice outside near our back door at our last house, so we got some from Bunnings and put some peanut butter up the very end of it.

We caught quite a few, then realised them in the national park 10 mins away.

Edited by wagsalot

I will try & be polite :dancingelephant:

Why did you do this?

The mice will have probably died from exposure/predation... and stress.Not a good way to go.

and if they didn't....

National parks do not need any more feral animals competing with small natives for food/shelter.

:happydance2:

oh :cooldance:

I hope you desexed them before rehoming :happydance:

Edited by persephone

Yes, While I appreciate the nice sentiments behind releasing them somewhere I just can't condone it anymore (I used to do it too!!) - not after living in the country and seeing the devastation they cause. They breed fast and furiously and by relocating them you're just making them someone else's problem and/or - as someone pointed out - they are then at risk of other people poisoning them and other issues. My friend who moved to Tassie recently nearly got lynched by locals for trying to "relocate" a family of rats!!!!

A quick humane kill is IMHO the best solution for all concerned - if I could think of somewhere safe to release them I'd be all for it - but as far as I can imagine - there isn't anywhere.

I gave up on traps as I couldn't stand it when the mouse didn't get snapped on properly and would end up running around with a trap attached! So I bought this one Picture.jpg

and they get into it to eat the food but then cant get out, and then it all gets dropped into a bucket of water. I got it at a stock feed shop.

I will try & be polite ;)

Why did you do this?

The mice will have probably died from exposure/predation... and stress.Not a good way to go.

and if they didn't....

National parks do not need any more feral animals competing with small natives for food/shelter.

;)

oh :rofl:

I hope you desexed them before rehoming :rofl:

They were still alive - none died. The house backs onto the National park - they came from there in the first place.

I've never had a dog get sick from eating a poisoned rodent....and they have managed to snaffle a few before I could get to them.

My vet nurse sister assured me at the time that once it is digested the poison wont hurt the dogs. So either she was wrong, or telling me porkies, or not? I dont know.

The roof residents tend to live and die up there. The house ones, well the just disappear.

I will try & be polite ;)

Why did you do this?

and if they didn't....

;)

oh :rofl:

I hope you desexed them before rehoming :rofl:

They were still alive - none died. The house backs onto the National park - they came from there in the first place.

You can put them in the freezer and they go to sleep

I've never had a dog get sick from eating a poisoned rodent....and they have managed to snaffle a few before I could get to them.

My vet nurse sister assured me at the time that once it is digested the poison wont hurt the dogs. So either she was wrong, or telling me porkies, or not? I dont know.

The roof residents tend to live and die up there. The house ones, well the just disappear.

I have a vets bill from the dogs eating poisoned rats, better to be safe than sorry I say.

A while back I had a Doberman that ate a 1080 bait and when it was induced to vomit another dog ate its vomit, that too was dead within 10 mins. ( I know its different bait) but just a story to sahre.

;)

She may have been right - but wrong to assure you it wont hurt the dogs. Not ALL the poison is necessarily digested by the mouse when it dies. Eaten is not the same as digested. Poisoned mice etc have been known to kill wildlife, particularly predatory birds.

When my girl caught a rat I called the Animal Hospital to check if she would be okay if the rat had been poisoned. They said that if she had ingested it, I wouldn't know within the first day or so. It can cause hemmoeraging (sp all wrong I know...) and if she showed signs of this (which could include blood coming out of her nose or eyes) to get her to emergency ASAP. She would need shots and then a 6 week course of meds.

ETA: She said if they had eaten snail pellets they would be violently ill and possibly dead by the time I saw the rat and called :-(

Edited by megan_

She may have been right - but wrong to assure you it wont hurt the dogs. Not ALL the poison is necessarily digested by the mouse when it dies. Eaten is not the same as digested. Poisoned mice etc have been known to kill wildlife, particularly predatory birds.

I worked at a produce store many years ago, we often had stray cats move in, unfortunately they would eat the poisoned mice and rats and eventually the cats died. I think but I may be wrong, that the poison built up in the cats bodies eventually killing them.

There was a guy on our morning garden show a while back who said that talon has the worst rat poison active ingredient as far as killing the things that eat the mice. But he said a dog - depending on its weight,ate two or three rats that had eaten talon - the dog is in trouble.

at around minute 41 he talked about a slower acting mouse poison - that a dog can eat two or three whole mice that have died or eaten this without getting dangerously ill. He called it "racumen, with active ingredient kumatetral", scuse spelling is phonetic - he didn't spell it for us and I can't find either with google. He said a dog can eat the stuff directly and you have plenty of time to get the dog to the vet for treatment, or the dog can eat rats that have eaten it and there is almost no chance of the dog dieing from it.

But it's not a quick way of getting rid of the rats or mice.

The original was broadcast on 30th January 2010, on Adelaide 891 talk back gardening. Don't think it would still be on the web.

I take no responsibility for use of this info. I use the grey mouse traps with peanut butter and was contemplating borrowing a couple of boston terriers to deal with my problem. My dog won't kill the mice for me even if she catches one.