Crate

borderfan

I want to buy a new crate, I had an old metal one for my last dog but it wasnt collapsible which was a PITA. Does anyone know much about the collapsible material/mesh ones?? I've seen a few of the K9+ ones and they look great, anyone know about them much?? I know you can also get collapsible metal ones now as well. The crate will mainly be used inside the house as I already have a pet barrier in my 4WD with secure anchor points for doggy harnesses and I can use my metal crate outside if need be.

Any thoughts or ideas??

The cheapest ones are on ebay - I have had both soft and collapsible metal from "All Pet Homes" ebay shop and they are great.

They are approx $130 delivered to Sydney, for a Labrador size.

I love the soft crates.

Ours are used inside. Our first soft crate was a cheap one ($50) because we didn't know much about them and wanted to try it out. Its been fantastic and our pup slept soundly all night in it from the first day we got it. Even though it was a cheap one its still going strong and even though we've bought him a bigger one now he has grown we still use the old small one for car travel and used it for a recent camping trip.

His new one is also a cheap one ($70) and its big enough for when he is fully grown. Its collapsible and also the cover comes off if you need to wash it (which I had to recently) and hang it on the line.

I like the soft crates as I have floor boards and it doesn't matter if the crate is moved as it doesn't scratch the floor and they are also very light if you need to carry them or move them.

This is the new bigger crate

DSCF1009.jpg

Edited by fiveplusone

I bought my crate from crazysales website. It is easy to set up and cheaper than ebay. Delivered in 3 days. I am very pleased with crazysales. Here is the link.

http://www.crazysales.com.au/large-36-dog-...rtan_p8403.html

I also bought the cover to let my puppy feel safer and more "den-like".

I used a pet tent before and it is kind of like a soft crate. My puppy pull the whole thing down. :) He was sitting at the door when I came back home. He was like look at how smart I am. It is quite big. This is the pet tent he pulled down.

http://www.crazysales.com.au/large-sized-p...reen_p5227.html

Edited by nicolatu

I have both soft crates and wire ones, I dont know which I prefer but as far as soft crates go mine is great for travelling in a small car, its a Dog Digs one and folds up into itself rather than flat, so you dont need as much space to store it (obviously my dogs dont travel in the crate, they get secured in the back seat and the crates get to live in the boot lol

I love the soft crates.

Ours are used inside. Our first soft crate was a cheap one ($50) because we didn't know much about them and wanted to try it out. Its been fantastic and our pup slept soundly all night in it from the first day we got it. Even though it was a cheap one its still going strong and even though we've bought him a bigger one now he has grown we still use the old small one for car travel and used it for a recent camping trip.

His new one is also a cheap one ($70) and its big enough for when he is fully grown. Its collapsible and also the cover comes off if you need to wash it (which I had to recently) and hang it on the line.

I like the soft crates as I have floor boards and it doesn't matter if the crate is moved as it doesn't scratch the floor and they are also very light if you need to carry them or move them.

DSCF1009.jpg

Where did you buy the cheapies from?? And what sort of dog is it big enough for?

I loved my soft crate too, easy to store, easy to put up.

One night I went out and left 3 dogs in the house, my two dogs had free range and the foster was left in the soft crate. came home to the greeting of 3 dogs at the door - the foster had managed to chew through the front of the crate :rofl: He had been quite happy in it for a month or so with no problems but not this night.

Lucky no damage had been done and the foster dog was adopted by me despite this and other incidents :rofl: But I am wary of soft crates and love my wire crate which I can put down but they are more clumsy than the soft crates and don't look as good.

I love the soft crates.

DSCF1009.jpg

Where did you buy the cheapies from?? And what sort of dog is it big enough for?

The small one was from cheap as cheaps and was about 52cm high, 50cm wide and 70cm long. It fit the red mat (that puppy is on in photo) at a sqeeze. He's a 7 month GSP so not small and he was still happy to sleep in it all night just a few weekends ago.

The new bigger crate (in the photo) is about 69cm high, 69cm wide and 102cm long and he can easily stretch out in it. I got it online from topbuys. I'm sure the more expensive ones are far better quality but so far we haven't had an issue with ours as he doesn't try to chew his way out of it.

I don't use the crate for when we leave him alone as he goes outside into a big secure garden, but we do use it for overnight and zip it up and he's never once tried to get out of it. He's been sleeping in a soft crate since he was 8.5weeks old though so doesn't know any different I guess. We also used the small one while travelling in the car a few weeks ago too and after a bit of whinging slept in it for the duration of the 1.5 hour trip

Edited by fiveplusone

Thanks fiveplusone - I just want a cheapy to see how my boy goes. I think the Topbuy ones will be just fine. He's a dally and I'm wondering if the next size up would be better - it's hard to tell when you cant see them in front of you - but a GSP and dally is fairly comparable.....

There are good crates & some not so good crates.

Our dogs simply bend the wire in the Chinese versions, slip the locks then walk out.

We now buy SAVIC crates. Strong metal & dog proof locks. Excellent quality & good value for money :rofl:

Thanks fiveplusone - I just want a cheapy to see how my boy goes. I think the Topbuy ones will be just fine. He's a dally and I'm wondering if the next size up would be better - it's hard to tell when you cant see them in front of you - but a GSP and dally is fairly comparable.....

I must admit I was a bit taken aback how big the new one was when we got it. And considering he was still quite happy in his small one I was glad I didn't go any bigger than that. I think they actually quite like being snug in a smaller crate, but they do say they should be able to stand up and turn around in it.

As far as quality goes, the reason we bought the cheap one orignally was that we wanted to see what he was like in it (not having ever used a crate before) before spending lots of money on it, and once we saw he was fine in it for a few months and budget being tight (who's isn't!) I just thought I'd risk buying another cheap one and see how it goes.

I bought mine from K9 Pro for my bloodhound - he is 7 months old and I got the Large size - I then bought the same crate in a Medium for my kelpie - they are both zipped in at night and gives us great peace of mind. I also took the crate along to the K9 Pro seminar and the hound happily spent the day relaxing in it - it was easy to put up and take down too