Unimpressed.

pixie_meg

we went away for the weekend and had my mother in law feed the dog and put him inside at night. Even went to the effort of securing the top yard so that there was no conceivable way for Oberon to get out(front yard was fine but is only 4ft high which he doesn't go over, but we thought the 6ft area was a better bet. So we get home a couple of hours ago and Oberon is happily in the yard and very excited to see us, but then we find out from the neighbour that yesterday someone in a ford pulled up at our house and opened our gate and went inside our yard. I have no idea who it was but of course Oberon bolts out. Apparently these people made some kind of attempt to catch him but then gave up and left. Luckily my neighbour was watching and then spent an hour trying to catch him( the fool of a dog thought it was a game). He also nearly got hit by a car during this time.

I'm ropeable. Geez. So these idiots trespass(we've only been in the house 2 weeks) and then let our dog out and then cant be bothered to catch him. I have a sneaking suspicion it could be the landlords and i am so over landlords right now. so glad we're buying soon. Very tempted to put up a video camera to catch them if they do it again.

we went away for the weekend and had my mother in law feed the dog and put him inside at night. Even went to the effort of securing the top yard so that there was no conceivable way for Oberon to get out(front yard was fine but is only 4ft high which he doesn't go over, but we thought the 6ft area was a better bet. So we get home a couple of hours ago and Oberon is happily in the yard and very excited to see us, but then we find out from the neighbour that yesterday someone in a ford pulled up at our house and opened our gate and went inside our yard. I have no idea who it was but of course Oberon bolts out. Apparently these people made some kind of attempt to catch him but then gave up and left. Luckily my neighbour was watching and then spent an hour trying to catch him( the fool of a dog thought it was a game). He also nearly got hit by a car during this time.

I'm ropeable. Geez. So these idiots trespass(we've only been in the house 2 weeks) and then let our dog out and then cant be bothered to catch him. I have a sneaking suspicion it could be the landlords and i am so over landlords right now. so glad we're buying soon. Very tempted to put up a video camera to catch them if they do it again.

I'd be putting a lock on the gate. If it is the landlord and they complain about it, remind them that they have no right to enter the property without reasonable notice or while you are not there.

I'd be putting a lock on the gate. If it is the landlord and they complain about it, remind them that they have no right to enter the property without reasonable notice or while you are not there.

Will definitely be putting a lock on the gate. I'll also be talking to the realestate on Monday in case it was the landlord.

Will definitely be putting a lock on the gate. I'll also be talking to the realestate on Monday in case it was the landlord.

I have padlocks on every gate that has access to the backyard, call me paranoid but it makes me feel a lot safer as I'm home alone most of the time.

Do you have a copy of your lease yet?

Glad that you will be doing this, pixie_meg.

In my pre-owning house days, I was home waiting for a tradesman to arrive and the landlords walked in. I wish I'd kept a copy of the letter I sent them - LOL.

I lived there for over six years and had two rent increases, so they obviously respected me as a good tenant and one who knew her rights (to a degree - LOL).

ETA: you obviously have very caring neighbours and thank god Oberon is safe.

Edited by Mother Moocher

locks just aren't something i thought i had to worry about. I've always felt safe and i lock the doors but i'll be putting a padlock on the gate now.

Our last place we had the landord show up on our doorstep unannounced many times. I do have a copy of the lease. why?

locks just aren't something i thought i had to worry about. I've always felt safe and i lock the doors but i'll be putting a padlock on the gate now.

Our last place we had the landord show up on our doorstep unannounced many times. I do have a copy of the lease. why?

Yep we've had this happen :thumbsup: . If it was them make sure you actually give them a breach notice from Consumer Affairs, if you ever want to get out of the lease due to their behaviour it will help to have a record.

I'm so over landlords treating tenants like crap.

Yep we've had this happen :thumbsup: . If it was them make sure you actually give them a breach notice from Consumer Affairs, if you ever want to get out of the lease due to their behaviour it will help to have a record.

I'm so over landlords treating tenants like crap.

will definitely do the breach thing if its them.

We had our side gate left opened by gardeners on two ocassions. Bruno actually went out once, luckily he was just sitting in front of it when we came home. I put a padlock there and no problems since.

A landlord years ago let my dog out and didn't even consider going to get her, luckily the house she walked into being nosey called me.

Now we have locks where neccessary to prevent accidents occuring.

That's a scary thing to happen p-m, could so easily have ended in tragedy. I don't know about Oberon but I am sure my 'zoi have no traffic sense. My gates are padlocked, and I have a double gate system so someone has to open 2 gates, and leave one open behind them, before there is any chance of the dogs escaping.

i've never rented so i might be way off, but could it have been one of the meter dudes? you know, the guys that come on your property for a minute and check the gass or electricity meter to see how much you've used?

they always scare the crap out of me if i'm at home. the dog has never even noticed them (who said schnauzer's were guardy?!) but i did one time get a notice in the mail giving me an estimated bill because the guy saw my dog's shoe (one we found when renovating that he likes chewing and hiding bones in) and decided that only a large dog would eat a shoe and didn't want to enter the proerty. my dog is a mini schnauzer!

but yeah, i'd get a nice fat padlock on the inside of the gate if possible-even if just for my own peace of mind. after all, oberon is too beautiful and beloved to have something awful happen to him.

meanwhile-nice to hear a good neighbour story!

This is a prime example of why dogs should not be left on their own in a backyard whilst owners go away, it's just too dangerous, so many things can go wrong and often do. I've heard countless stories of dogs being left and dying whilst there owners are away. I know of a chap who is about to leave his rotty for 6 weeks on his own in the backyard with someone going in once a day to feed it because he's too tight to pay for professional boarding.

I'm really glad your lovely Borzoi is okay with the kind help of your neighbours but it is not safe leaving dogs any more than a normal working hours. Please don't take this as a personal attack as it is not I just want people to realise it is not the thing to do.

This is a prime example of why dogs should not be left on their own in a backyard whilst owners go away, it's just too dangerous, so many things can go wrong and often do. I've heard countless stories of dogs being left and dying whilst there owners are away. I know of a chap who is about to leave his rotty for 6 weeks on his own in the backyard with someone going in once a day to feed it because he's too tight to pay for professional boarding.

I'm really glad your lovely Borzoi is okay with the kind help of your neighbours but it is not safe leaving dogs any more than a normal working hours. Please don't take this as a personal attack as it is not I just want people to realise it is not the thing to do.

We were gone from Friday at 3pm and then dog put inside by 6pm and then on Saturday he was in the yard from 7am till 6pm. Very similar to a normal work day for many people. We considered him staying with friends or a small kennel but given we have only just moved and he seemed like he was going through a fear period we thought it best to keep him in the environment he knew best. Definitely not worried about paying money to have my dog cared for. I understand what you're saying though.

Lesson learnt and we will have a padlock. wasn't the meter guy or gas as that was done when we moved. It was a man and woman.

I have padlocks on every gate that has access to the backyard, call me paranoid but it makes me feel a lot safer as I'm home alone most of the time.

Do you have a copy of your lease yet?

Well done. You are not paranoid, you are just taking the necessary precautions.